• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello , :)

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to do my first Camino starting at st. Jean pied du port end of October 2016 all the way to to Finisterre and maybe beyond!
Hello :)
I am very new to this, and so I think I should just introduce myself here.
My name is Rebecca, I am from Liverpool, UK.
Almost out of the blue , having never heard of the Camino de Santiago before a few weeks ago. I plan to do the Francis Route for SJPD, my Euro star ticket is for the 27th Oct.
I do not have much money at all to do this, and so I am bringing a tent along , in case any municipal albergues are closed. I will be traveling alone.
I have been reading the threads on this forum for a few weeks, hanging back to hopefully get a general feel for things. I have enjoyed reading then, obviously there are threads which are unsettling, the very sad and unfortunate deaths near Astorgia. The poor Korean lad who's gone missing, the indecent exposure and harrasment that some women encounter, Tarantulas, Scorpians , etc. I understand that this is a very small proportion compared to the amount who travel along the Camino with no major problems. I have just read about the lady who got her passport back , the generosity of the cafe owners who drove her back!! Very uplifting to read that today! :D
I understand that everyone does this for their own reasons..mine without going into much details is a spiritual one and a physical and mental one , having lived with PTSD for a number of years, no therapy has 'cured' me so far, so it really does seem the universe put the world's longest psychiatric highway in my path. I have so much trepidation as the days leading up to my date..and the piece of writing called 'Footprints',is emblazoned on my mind (something that has always comforted me from a very early age).
Any way that's enough about me, tgankyou for this site and your posts and comments, they are an invaluable source, of information and inspiration.
Buen Camino
Rebecca . :) x

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum Rebecca.

You might want to think hard about that tent, and read a few of the 'camping' threads. Most municipal Albergues are open throughout the year. This web resource lists all Albergues that are open in the winter season November - March http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno and may give you some reassurance.

Buen Camino Pilgrim

Edit: Apologies I've just noticed that the Albergues invierno page is inactive at present though I suspect it will go 'live' again soon. Meanwhile www.Gronze.com also provides data on opening and closing times for all accommodation along the Frances

This list also shows Albergues that are open all year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

Last edited:

You might want to think hard about that tent, and read a few of the 'camping' threads. Most municipal Albergues are open throughout the year. This web resource lists all Albergues that are open in the winter season November - March http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno and may give you some reassurance.

Buen Camino Pilgrim
Thanks so much for your reply!
Yes I am having a good debate with myself regarding the tent, I have read through all the camping posts , a least a few times, lol. I am a bushcraft instructor by trade , so camping alone and responsibilily is second nature to me, the extra weight I know will be hard. My plan is to go to Finisterra and Muxia hang around the coast for a bit, and then make my way back to Santander along the northern route, I have a bivvy bag, but hear the winters can be harsh. So for the extra weight of the tent, I'm hoping it will be more than useful..still thinking about it.
Thanks again for your reply :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And thank you for the list of albergues open , I will scrutinise that ! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino Pilgrim

Edit: Apologies I've just noticed that the Albergues invierno page is inactive at present though I suspect it will go 'live' again soon. Meanwhile www.Gronze.com also provides data on opening and closing times for all accommodation along the Frances

This list also shows Albergues that are open all year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
Thank you so much Tin cat inker :D

You are on the way Rebecca! Buen Camino. If walking the Route Napoleon from SJPDP at the end of October, do be sure to check at the Pilgrims Office first. The weather can be treacherous. If there are any problems, the route through Valcarlos is always open and very beautiful - and an excellent albergue in Valcarlos makes this a good alternative.

You are on the way Rebecca! Buen Camino. If walking the Route Napoleon from SJPDP at the end of October, do be sure to check at the Pilgrims Office first. The weather can be treacherous. If there are any problems, the route through Valcarlos is always open and very beautiful - and an excellent albergue in Valcarlos makes this a good alternative.
Hello Kanga ! :D
Thank you , I have been reading up about the Napoleon pass and although it sounds beautiful and a challenge with my bag, if there is any doubt at all regarding the weather I will take the ValCarlos path , maybe stay in Hunto? I definitely would like to stay in Roncallas , the converted building looks so beautiful. I realise my choice of only being able to stay at certain places and sleeping under the milky way , may be a lonely option. I hope to meet people and share and help anyone I can along the way, when I walk through Asturias I will be walking for the Iberian wolf, who has had some terrible treatment of late. I will also keep in mind others less fortunate. Its so nice to be finally taking to other pilgrims after hiding in the shadows , :D l
Yes I'm on my way x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rebecca, Huntto is on the Route Napoleon, not the route through Valcarlos.

The Route Napoleon and the Valcarlos route diverge as you leave SJPDP but both end up in Roncesvalles.

The Valcarlos route is the older traditional route taken by medieval pilgrims, is slightly easier and follows the N135 road all the way to Roncesvalles.

The Route Napoleon was used by Napoleon in the 18th C. It departs from the road and has spectacular views - but is also dangerous in bad weather. In which case it will have no views at all!

Leave the tent at home, the page @Tincatinker linked to will be updated beginning somewhen in October. You will be fine finding accommodation if you can walk the very occasionally 25+km to bridge a gap ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Thank you SYates and Hello :D
I'm really hoping I don't have to take it, my bag is a 100ltr ! I must be crazy haha!
If I travel without I have no doubt I can do 25k+ Gosh theses stomach butterflies are gaining strength ! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rebecca, Huntto is on the Route Napoleon, not the route through Valcarlos.

The Route Napoleon and the Valcarlos route diverge as you leave SJPDP but both end up in Roncesvalles.

The Valcarlos route is the older traditional route taken by medieval pilgrims, is slightly easier and follows the N135 road all the way to Roncesvalles.

The Route Napoleon was used by Napoleon in the 18th C. It departs from the road and has spectacular views - but is also dangerous in bad weather. In which case it will have no views at all!
Gosh thank you! I'm still in planning stages and need to start writing this down its all in my overworked brain so far ! :D

Thank you SYates and Hello :D
I'm really hoping I don't have to take it, my bag is a 100ltr ! I must be crazy haha!
If I travel without I have no doubt I can do 25k+ Gosh theses stomach butterflies are gaining strength ! :D

You do NOT need a 100l backpack on the camino! It is an urban hike that passes through villages and towns regularly, not a survival exercise in the remote wilderness. As you are on a tight budget, have a look at this backpack http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-40l-hiking-backpack-black-orange-id_8332416.html it is only 15GBP and weights 640g, I have and use it and I am happy with it. Perhaps worth a trip to your nearest Decathlon to try it on? Buen Camino, SY

I am 68 and have walked alone 3 times in mid-October to late November. There will always be albergue accommodation in the main towns, and even most of the smaller ones. It is very easy on a day-by-day basis to look at a guide, assess the likely stopping points, and determine what your options are for the night. You will not need a tent or other camping equipment!

I do recommend that you have a phone with you, preferably a smart phone with internet access; with that you should have complete confidence.

The secret to packing is layering. If the weather is very bad, you will wear all your layers, keeping just one complete layer safely dry for the night. You will want something warm for the evenings since it can be very chilly, especially when your body is tired. You need to have good rain gear for both top and bottom. That can be worn as a layer for insulation against the cold, if necessary. With a merino wool buff and two very light pairs of gloves, it is very easy to don and doff them while walking, to control your temperature.

Finally, and most importantly, everything you need can be fitted into a 31 L backpack, weighing about 6.5 kg including water! I admit that I had the luxury of buying some lightweight items, but even so, it should be easy to achieve 7 or 7.5 kg at the most. Keeping down to that weight will be the biggest favour you can do for yourself!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am 68 and have walked alone 3 times in mid-October to late November. There will always be albergue accommodation in the main towns, and even most of the smaller ones. It is very easy on a day-by-day basis to look at a guide, assess the likely stopping points, and determine what your options are for the night. You will not need a tent or other camping equipment!

I do recommend that you have a phone with you, preferably a smart phone with internet access; with that you should have complete confidence.

The secret to packing is layering. If the weather is very bad, you will wear all your layers, keeping just one complete layer safely dry for the night. You will want something warm for the evenings since it can be very chilly, especially when your body is tired. You need to have good rain gear for both top and bottom. That can be worn as a layer for insulation against the cold, if necessary. With a merino wool buff and two very light pairs of gloves, it is very easy to don and doff them while walking, to control your temperature.

Finally, and most importantly, everything you need can be fitted into a 31 L backpack, weighing about 6.5 kg including water! I admit that I had the luxury of buying some lightweight items, but even so, it should be easy to achieve 7 or 7.5 kg at the most. Keeping down to that weight will be the biggest favour you can do for yourself!
liking this a hundred times over

Hello C clearly :)
Ok , realising my bag maybe overkill to say the least
Thank you for your advice !! I have I think the clothing sorted already. As I spend most of my time outdoors and require it for my work, yes I think it maybe time for a smaller bag. :D Thanks so much everyone for your encouragement and help!! It helps a lot with the butterflies! :)

You do NOT need a 100l backpack on the camino! It is an urban hike that passes through villages and towns regularly, not a survival exercise in the remote wilderness. As you are on a tight budget, have a look at this backpack http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-40l-hiking-backpack-black-orange-id_8332416.html it is only 15GBP and weights 640g, I have and use it and I am happy with it. Perhaps worth a trip to your nearest Decathlon to try it on? Buen Camino, SY
Yep , new smaller bag is defo the right way , I see my craziness lol! I'm used to more wilderness hikes , and always seem to pack for the Arctic lol . Thanks so much again for your help! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think it maybe time for a smaller bag.
All else being equal, I would probably choose a slightly larger bag, say 35 L, just for a bit of flexibility. However, all else is not equal! My Osprey Talon 33 (in the S/M size, so only 31 L capacity) fits me so well, and I don't really need the extra space, so I am very happy with it.

3 times and alone! :D Gosh that soothes the butterflies !!

€83,-
We all started out with a rather benign Camino (Roncesvalles to Santiago in my case) and then the Camino virus got/hit us badly ;-) We are infected and suffering from/with it and our only, temporary, cure is to walk another Camino. SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's fantastic! ...I think it's contagious!
I have a feeling this will be my first of many , I have a longing for Galicia ..I think it's my Irish DNA :D

I have a feeling this will be my first of many , I have a longing for Galicia ..I think it's my Irish DNA :D

My mother-in-law walked the Camino Frances a few years before I did. When I got home she asked which part was my favourite. 'Galicia!' I replied. She said "Of course, it's so like Scotland." Wet, hilly and fond of bagpipes - lovely country :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My mother-in-law walked the Camino Frances a few years before I did. When I got home she asked which part was my favourite. 'Galicia!' I replied. She said "Of course, it's so like Scotland." Wet, hilly and fond of bagpipes - lovely country :)
Hello Bradypus :D
I have been listening to Galician music and it definitely stirs and soothes my Celtic soul! :D (there is a great band I've found and there stuff is lovely I will copy the link here so you can show your mum ) :D
I am really looking forward to trying their seafood!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you'd enjoy this then. Legends in Galician music. If you are short of time just watch the last 10 minutes or so for some real foot-tapping stuff.

I will watch it now thank you!! :D
Finally just managed to put an avatar up, I'm rubbish with technology!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed that a lot , definitely toe tapping stuff! I'm about to help a friend paint a wall , I will listen to it again , have it done in no time !...paint may be flying everywhere though! :D
I think you'd enjoy this then. Legends in Galician music. If you are short of time just watch the last 10 minutes or so for some real foot-tapping stuff.

[/QUOTE
I really enjoyed that! You are right, toe tapping stuff!
Thank you , I'm about to help a friend paint a wall , so I shall put again , have it done in no time at all! :D

Hi Rebecca, lots of good advice above re albergues, tents, pack sizes and weight etc, so I will not repeat it. Just so that you know, the Camino can seep into your soul and provide you with an opportunity to be who you really are and in the company of fellow pilgrims who are almost without exception, welcoming and helpful. So if you want some self help therapy, all the good company you could wish for, or none, I think you could not choose a better place to be. And finally, the Camino is one of the safest places you could be; yes some unpleasant things happen but that is the case no matter where you are. I wish you a Buen Camino, many pleasant memories and peace within your soul. Aidan.

Hi Rebecca, lots of good advice above re albergues, tents, pack sizes and weight etc, so I will not repeat it. Just so that you know, the Camino can seep into your soul and provide you with an opportunity to be who you really are and in the company of fellow pilgrims who are almost without exception, welcoming and helpful. So if you want some self help therapy, all the good company you could wish for, or none, I think you could not choose a better place to be. And finally, the Camino is one of the safest places you could be; yes some unpleasant things happen but that is the case no matter where you are. I wish you a Buen Camino, many pleasant memories and peace within your soul. Aidan.
Hello Aidan :D
Thank you! It called me out of nowhere and just at the right time , a big universal nudge in the right direction I think ! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Rebecca! to what is our virtual albergue.
tgankyou for this site and your posts and comments, they are an invaluable source, of information and inspiration.
You'll find the Camino very much the same - inspirational. May it provide the therapy which you're seeking or, at worst, a good walk to Santiago.

Keep posting and you'll soon be up with all the technology...

And let us know how you go on the Road...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Rebecca! to what is our virtual albergue.

You'll find the Camino very much the same - inspirational. May it provide the therapy which you're seeking or, at worst, a good walk to Santiago.

Keep posting and you'll soon be up with all the technology...

And let us know how you go on the Road...
Thank you and hello :D
The reception I've had so far from the forum members has been lovely, like coming in from the cold :)

Hi Hi Rebecca

I see you're taking the train to get there. I did the same but started in Pamplona.
A lot of the pre-walk nerves had settled down by the time I started walking. Train
travel is way less stressful than flying.

Buen Camino

Best of luck with your trip/journey/adventure! Myself and a mate of mine are landing in Biarritz on Sat 29th, and starting from St Jean hopefully the following day...so we will probably be a day or two behind you, so if we don't get a chance to say it in person ...Buen Camino!

€46,-
Hello Aidan :D
Thank you! It called me out of nowhere and just at the right time , a big universal nudge in the right direction I think ! :D

Sounds like a common case of "When you know, you've gotta go."
I've caught that bug a million times, and hope to continue "needing" to explore for many years to come!

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.