Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me slow down my Camino Primitivo

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm in Oviedo tonight and will walk to Grado tomorrow, but I have realized that the plan I made several months ago leaves me with too many days in Santiago. I need to add a day to my current itinerary which is:

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Tineo - Colinas de Arriba 23.3(I'll do the hospitales route after staying at Alojamento Los Hospitales)
Colinas de Arriba - Berducedo 21 Berducedo - Castro 25.24
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
O Piñeiral - Castroverde 28.42 Castroverde - Lugo 22
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

My current schedule leaves me with 5 nights in Santiago. I would prefer 3 or 4. I'm not interested in going to Finisterre or Muxia - I've been there several times already.

I thought of spending two nights in Lugo, but accommodation seems a bit expensive, and when I'm somewhere for two nights I'd prefer a private room.

So Primitivo experts, what do you think?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, hardly an expert since I haven't actually walked it yet...but assuming your stops are locked in...
...what about inserting Santa Eulalia de Doriga or Cornellana in between Grado and Salas? Or Vilar de Cas as a stop in between O Cadavo and Lugo? Or San Roman de Retorta between Lugo and Ferrira?
You've already got a place to stay in front of Hospitales, so I won't join the chorus for Samblisimo...

I think there's someone on the Primitivo now, but I'm not sure....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess taking the Camino Verde (from Lugo to the Del Norte) won’t add any extra days?

*We spent an extra night in beautiful Oviedo, both in 2016 and again last April.
*Also spent a night at Hotel Las Grandas, just past the dam. I'd planned to walk to Grandas De Salime, considered a full stage, but after stopping for a drink on the hotel's beautiful deck in the afternoon overlooking the lake, we decided to spend the night instead of pushing on to the usual end. It was great and we had a nice dinner as well.
Screenshot_20230613-150822~2.png

*We also spent an extra night in Lugo. I loved walking the beautiful, perfect condition city walls with locals who were walking with friends or pushing baby carriages, or jogging. Views from the city walls.
Screenshot_20230613-151240~2.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can highly recommend stopping in Vilar de Cas overnight fabulous albergue with a warm welcome.
I also split up my first few days so that I stopped before Grado and then spent the next night in a lovely donativo Roca Madre just before Cornellana. IIRC i walked from there to Bodenaya (sorry i should really check my notes)

I think Lugo is a cool place to visit. It is an old walled Roman city. Maybe spend some time there?

Would definitely recommend spending two nights in Lugo. We enjoyed walking around the walls of the city and visiting the Cathedral and the archaeological museum near the cathedral.

Also, as an addition to my post above, I loved staying in Cornellana at the huge old monastery. One section had been renovated; "Albergue de Peregrinos". Very inexpensive, 24 beds far apart, kitchen, W/D.
If you have any leeway to juggle any of your stages to include this stop, it was exceptional and quite unique. We also had a wonderful meal in town just a few blocks away.
Screenshot_20230613-172847~2.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm in Oviedo tonight and will walk to Grado tomorrow, but I have realized that the plan I made several months ago leaves me with too many days in Santiago.
You're a camino addict - don't faff around in Santiago for 5 days!
Jump on a Monbus up to Ferrol the morning after you arrive and start walking the Ingles. You can do the first stage that same day. You might also be able to turn the last 2 stages into one, as the walking is very fast and easy with Hospital to Sigueiro being very gently downhill on empty small roads.
EDIT - or if Ferrol is a day too much, and you don't mind missing another Compostela, you could start from A Coruna and be one of the very few (if any?) people on the forum who has walked that route... ;- )

Last edited:
I think you could make the Camiño Verde from Lugo add another night. But that would take you back to the Norte at Sobrado. The albergue a few kms beyond Sobrado is fabulous. Abeiro da Loba.
Or take a very short day to Bodenaya.

I think Lugo is a nice place for a rest day.

Hostal Alba near albergue is reasonable. tel. 982 22 60 56

An inexpensive option in Lugo (if you decide to spend an extra night), is Hotel España. It's just outside of the Roman Walls (but literally just outside and I had views of the walls from my window)... a quick hop across the street and you're right there in the middle of it all. I stayed for one night in summer 2021 and it was 25 euros for a simple private room w/ bathroom. The price may have increased since then but hopefully not by much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're a camino addict - don't faff around in Santiago for 5 days!
Jump on a Monbus up to Ferrol the morning after you arrive and start walking the Ingles. You can do the first stage that same day. You might also be able to turn the last 2 stages into one, as the walking is very fast and easy with Hospital to Sigueiro being very gently downhill on empty small roads.
EDIT - or if Ferrol is a day too much, and you don't mind missing another Compostela, you could start from A Coruna and be one of the very few (if any?) people on the forum who has walked that route... ;- )
My original plan was that I would do the Inglés if I had enough time, but I want to spend 2 - 3 days in Santiago - I want to meet up with friends that I walked the Camino with, along with meeting some forum friends in person, so I don't want to rush that.
I ended up taking some beautiful coastal alternatives and doing a couple of short days that cut into my Camino inglés time. So really I just need to shorten a stage or two on the Primitivo.

If you haven't left yet you or you want to backtrack before you get to far youcould have started in Villaviciosa and that would have added days before Oviedo.

My original plan was that I would do the Inglés if I had enough time, but I want to spend 2 - 3 days in Santiago - I want to meet up with friends that I walked the Camino with, along with meeting some forum friends in person, so I don't want to rush that.
I ended up taking some beautiful coastal alternatives and doing a couple of short days that cut into my Camino inglés time. So really I just need to shorten a stage or two on the Primitivo.
Why not walk from A Coruña? Or spend a day here, train is easy, 30 min, and inexpensive. You can easily go to and fro in one day or stay a night.
IMG_0692.jpegIMG_0690.jpegIMG_0644.jpegIMG_0605.jpeg
Buen Camino!!
MaryEllen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm in Oviedo tonight and will walk to Grado tomorrow, but I have realized that the plan I made several months ago leaves me with too many days in Santiago. I need to add a day to my current itinerary which is:

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Tineo - Colinas de Arriba 23.3(I'll do the hospitales route after staying at Alojamento Los Hospitales)
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

My current schedule leaves me with 5 nights in Santiago. I would prefer 3 or 4. I'm not interested in going to Finisterre or Muxia - I've been there several times already.

I thought of spending two nights in Lugo, but accommodation seems a bit expensive, and when I'm somewhere for two nights I'd prefer a private room.

I strongly recommend breaking the stage between Grado and Salas by stopping at the monastery albergue 12 K past Grado at Cornellana. Then you can either have another short day to Sals the next day or leap beyond it to Bodenaya. If you want to make day 1 a little shorter, stop in Paladín. And take a rest day in Lugo! If you plan to stay in Brea, consider going just a wee bit down the line to Casa Fresia do Mar in Salceda.

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

Not an expert, but I loved my experience in Palatin at Villa Palatino. From there Correllano, Bodenaya (you can experience David in his last weeks at that albergue, but call for a bed if you can). That will add a day to your itinerary.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An inexpensive option in Lugo (if you decide to spend an extra night), is Hotel España. It's just outside of the Roman Walls (but literally just outside and I had views of the walls from my window)... a quick hop across the street and you're right there in the middle of it all.
This is where we stayed, too, and it was an ideal location with the same views and near everything.

Well, hardly an expert since I haven't actually walked it yet...but assuming your stops are locked in...
...what about inserting Santa Eulalia de Doriga or Cornellana in between Grado and Salas? Or Vilar de Cas as a stop in between O Cadavo and Lugo? Or San Roman de Retorta between Lugo and Ferrira?
You've already got a place to stay in front of Hospitales, so I won't join the chorus for Samblisimo...

I think there's someone on the Primitivo now, but I'm not sure....
I loved Cornellana. I stayed in the Monesterio.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you haven't left yet you or you want to backtrack before you get to far youcould have started in Villaviciosa and that would have added days before Oviedo.
I came from the Norte, so of course I've already been there.

An inexpensive option in Lugo (if you decide to spend an extra night), is Hotel España. It's just outside of the Roman Walls (but literally just outside and I had views of the walls from my window)...
Thanks, I'll check that out. Two nights in Lugo might be the best option.
Sixth visit to SdC just a few weeks ago… Spent 5 days… not even scratching the surface of what it has to offer, and I’ve previously spent 4 and 5 days…
SdC is so much more than a transit hub. It’s a truly wonderfully rich location.
Yes, I can see that. Thanks for that perspective.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not good for your budget. On the flipside, hope you enjoy the festival!
I'm interested to hear where you stay - I hit the trail in four weeks. (Hence why I'm following this thread).
I follow Nadine on YouTube, so already have the Espana penciled in, an alternative / backup suggestion would be welcome.

It turns out that I'll be in Lugo during a big festival - many places fully booked and many €€€
I have been there during these fiestas. I will have to say that my overriding memory is that it seemed that almost every male adult in Lugo used this as an opportunity to dress up as either a Roman or a hill fort warrior and consume large quantities of alcohol. There are a lot of cultural events if you look at the schedule, but if you are just walking around, you have to get in a party mood or else you will be a bit put off, imho.

It turns out that I'll be in Lugo during a big festival - many places fully booked and many €€€
That happened to me, but the turismo recommended a hotel in the suburbs which, I discovered, was the billet for a few dozen motorcycle police who had been detailled to Lugo for the festival. I had a jolly dinner of fabadas & chorizo & much sidra natural with a table of the provincial police who were impressed that I was doing the Primitivo and complimented me far more than I deserved. Their officer gave me his card in case I ran into conversations with the authorities-- they were to call him and all would be straightened out.

In any case, the fiesta was extraordinary, and the main plaza was occupied by hundreds (I counted over 200) of dancers who had a swing orchestra belting out tunes from a half century before (or more)--- almost all of the dancers were 60+ and gleefully bopping to the songs from their youth--- this time under the disapproving glares of their children rather than of their parents. There were even a few samba numbers which must have attracted the attentions of the Guardia Civil in those days. We pilgrims stood entranced but really we should have joined them. Next time.

Last edited:
Lugo would have been the best! As I walked into the Monteiro de San Domingo, the serenity I felt caused me to just sit and take in the beauty!
Salas looked interesting as I passed through and I had the best meal Camino ever in Polla at hotel Nueva Allandesa if you don't take the hospital route. Also if you get to Ferreira without stopping the owner of Albergue at Ponte Ferreira can redirect you farther along before you drop down to the Frances which may kill a day.
Enjoy!

@peregrina2000 suggested to me to stay at Vilar de Cas, this giving me a short stage into Lugo, and also adding the desired day to my itinerary. This is what outs me in Lugo on Friday night rather than a Thursday night. Since there is a non-reservable municipal albergue in Lugo with 44 beds I am certain that I could easily get there in time for one of those beds, though my preference is a private room. I have been walking with a couple of young women who are planning for Thursday night, and if I revert to my original stages to Lugo then the three of us could possibly book an apartment together for the night - decisions, decisions!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My friend from the Netherlands and I rented an apartment just north of the Cathedral for our rest day. It had a washing machine, I only used the spin cycle but it did the trick to hang and dry in the apartment.

@peregrina2000 suggested to me to stay at Vilar de Cas, this giving me a short stage into Lugo, and also adding the desired day to my itinerary. This is what outs me in Lugo on Friday night rather than a Thursday night. Since there is a non-reservable municipal albergue in Lugo with 44 beds I am certain that I could easily get there in time for one of those beds, though my preference is a private room. I have been walking with a couple of young women who are planning for Thursday night, and if I revert to my original stages to Lugo then the three of us could possibly book an apartment together for the night - decisions, decisions!
I am planning to start Primitivo on Sunday, I would appreciate any recommendations for shorter days.

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

Take the bus from Santiago and go to A Coruna for one day or two.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

Just take an extra day when you need it

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

Hi!

You will love it.

We did the following and we enjoyed the pace. Highly recommend 2 nights in Lugo. Amazing city, delicious food, and great rest day too. Our Camino was May 15– May 30

Oviedo to
Penaflor to
Cornellana to - (don’t miss David and Celia’s alvergue ) -
Bodenaya to
Campiello to
Berducedo to ( do t miss the Hospitales route)
Grandas de Salime to
A Fonsagrada to
Lugo to
O Cadavo to
Ferreira to
Santiago

Hope that helps.
Buen Camino!

Lou bird

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

Hi 👋 I’ve just finished the Primitivo and there are two Albergues towards the end where the hospitality and warmth are out of this world, as well as delicious communal meals. The first is in Bodenaya - Refugio de Peregrinos (I recommend booking in advance), and the other is A Pocina de Muniz, Albergue Turistico. I would strongly encourage you to stop in both places! Buen Camino 😊

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

For sure stay 1 rest day in Lugo, I walked the Salvador + Primitivo last October and my rest day in Lugo was great.

Get to Santiago, then bus down to Ourense, two days sat in the hot springs relaxing and rejuvenating your feet/body? ;)

Oviedo - Grado 25.2
Grado - Salas 22
Salas - Tineo 19.8
Castro - O Piñeiral 23.6
Lugo - Ferreira 26.35
Ferreira - Boente 25.74
Boente - Brea 21.6
Brea - Santiago 25

We did Primitivo last year and really enjoyed our stay at Vilar de Cas, we stayed at Albergue A Pocina de Muniz - it is 15 km before Lugo - the Primitivo is our favourite walk have a lovely one 🥾🥾

For sure stay 1 rest day in Lugo, I walked the Salvador + Primitivo last October and my rest day in Lugo was great.
Unfortunately, I'll reach Lugo during a big festival weekend, and accommodations are very expensive.

I guess taking the Camino Verde (from Lugo to the Del Norte) won’t add any extra days?
It does add an extra day. Lugo Friol, Friol Sobrado, Sobrado Arzua, Arzua Pedrouzo, Pedrouzo SDC. Slightly shorter days as you end, but lots of opportunities to spend time with other peregrinos! Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It does add an extra day. Lugo Friol, Friol Sobrado, Sobrado Arzua, Arzua Pedrouzo, Pedrouzo SDC. Slightly shorter days as you end, but lots of opportunities to spend time with other peregrinos! Buen camino
I probably won't be doing this, but if I did I'd take the alternative from the Norte that joins the Francés in Lavacoalla instead of Arzua.

I loved Cornellana. I stayed in the Monesterio.
We
I can highly recommend stopping in Vilar de Cas overnight fabulous albergue with a warm welcome.
I also split up my first few days so that I stopped before Grado and then spent the next night in a lovely donativo Roca Madre just before Cornellana. IIRC i walked from there to Bodenaya (sorry i should really check my notes)
We loved Vilar de Cas. Highly recommend. Hubby and I sprung for a private room.

Update - I had been walking with a small group that formed shortly after the split with the Camino del Norte, and decided that I wanted to walk into Santiago with them and arrive a day earlier.

We were able to get a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment in Lugo just outside the walls for only 65€, which would have been impossible the following days because of the big Roman festival there this weekend.

I also found out today that a friend from home will be arriving on the same day as me, so it will be wonderful to see him - he just celebrated his 81st birthday on the Camino. And I'm looking forward to seeing another friend from home @jcl-clonmel when she returns from Fisterra. So I feel that everything is as it should be.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Update - I had been walking with a small group that formed shortly after the split with the Camino del Norte, and decided that I wanted to walk into Santiago with them and arrive a day earlier.

We were able to get a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment in Lugo just outside the walls for only 65€, which would have been impossible the following days because of the big Roman festival there this weekend.

I also found out today that a friend from home will be arriving on the same day as me, so it will be wonderful to see him - he just celebrated his 81st birthday on the Camino. And I'm looking forward to seeing another friend from home @jcl-clonmel when she returns from Fisterra. So I feel that everything is as it should be.
Wonderful, I love the Camino surprises. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back