• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Need alternative hotel/inn/private room in Roncevalles

design4life

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014-18 Kumano Kodo 2019 Portu 2022 Inglés 2023
We have had to change our September departure date from SJPP and therefore hoped to change our reservation at Hotel Roncesvalles by one night. Unfortunately they are full the night we need.
Are there any other alternatives to the albergue? We want very much to have a private room.
Thanks so much for your help, forum members!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Trek on 3 km to Burguete. There are loads of private ones there. I stayed in Pedroarena http://casapedroarena.com/ and it was great. Newly redone, 30 euros, and the clinic(!) is just around the corner in case you're not feeling well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a Hemingway fan (did some research with his original manuscripts in the late 70's) and have been looking forward to at least passing through Burguete. But I worry whether we'll have the energy for another 3 km, after flying across the Atlantic one day, traveling Madrid to SJPP the ext, walking to Orrison the next, and to Roncesvalles the next.
Have written to both La Posada and Sabina and will see what happens.
Appreciate all your suggestions!!!!

If you have to stay in Burgette it's a very gentle 3km and you can always stop and have a drink and a little rest in Roncevalles then stroll on refreshed. And if you want to attend the pilgrims mass at Roncevalles-which is pretty special - but are staying in Burgette you could always organise a taxi to run you there and back in the evening.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you! Both Casa Sabina and La Posada have a room. Any reason to choose one over the other? The rooms seem comparable, both over restaurant/bar and could be noisy, both get the usual sampling of good and bad Internet reviews. Anything else to consider?

Thank you! Both Casa Sabina and La Posada have a room. Any reason to choose one over the other? The rooms seem comparable, both over restaurant/bar and could be noisy, both get the usual sampling of good and bad Internet reviews. Anything else to consider?
Posada has a great bar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
La Posada has existed for a longer time and has much more character. Roncesvalles monastery itself has been welcoming pilgrims since the eleventh century. Do plan to attend the evening mass in the ancient Romanesque church and the traditional pilgrimage blessing; this is a meaningful and poignant way to begin your camino journey.

Buen Camino,

MM

Taking the room at La Posada and, yes, thank you Margaret, we look forward to attending the Pilgrim Mass. ~~~ Is that before or after the bar, however!
Moving our start date by a day gives us some much desired breathing room. We are only walking for two weeks and have a flight booked from Burgos to Barcelona at the end. I'm happy now to feel that we can take some rest time ... perhaps to enjoy Pamplona or tapas at Logroño or .... whatever comes our way. Serendipity!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Glad that you found a room at the inn! All the crowds of summer will be gone and those busy bars closed come winter; although one might need to ring their bell the monastery itself is always open to shelter pilgrims as it has done for one thousand years .

January 24, 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only one staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who opened the door and stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Glad that you found a room at the inn! All the crowds of summer will be gone and those busy bars closed come winter; although one might need to ring their bell the monastery itself is always open to shelter pilgrims as it has done for one thousand years .

January 24, 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only one staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who opened the door and stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Ah, Margaret, if only "the crowds of summer will be gone!" My sense is that mid-September will be quite busy.
But your lovely recollection and all around helpful posts have inspired me to read your blog. I too am a b&b host, here in NY. Perhaps someday our paths will cross.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back