• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help struggling to organise Camino Ingles trip

glen55

Thanks to everyone who repled to my first plea :D
Have found this trip very difficult to organise :? Am arriving via Ryan Air at 9.30 am and want to catch a bus to Ferrol as soon as, think I've found a bus going at 13.00 (Castromil) Can anyone who has used this recently confirm this or point me in the right direction. Hoping then to walk first 8 km to Neda ( distances seem to vary) Is this a possibility?

Am hoping the walk is easier to do than organise. :roll:
glen55

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Glenn,

I don't remember if you were on a tight completion schedule, but can you remain overnight. It will give you sufficient time to get sorted out and on the Way without the rush. Your 8 km should take you about 2 hours if you take it slow and easy.

Arn

glen55 said:
Thanks to everyone who repled to my first plea :D
Have found this trip very difficult to organise :? Am arriving via Ryan Air at 9.30 am and want to catch a bus to Ferrol as soon as, think I've found a bus going at 13.00 (Castromil) Can anyone who has used this recently confirm this or point me in the right direction. Hoping then to walk first 8 km to Neda ( distances seem to vary) Is this a possibility?

Am hoping the walk is easier to do than organise. :roll:
glen55

Hi Glen

I'm not sure what you mean about pointing you in the right direction, but yes you can take this bus and go to Ferrol (about 1hr). You can then easily walk to Neda. You will not have a problem but if you did, be assured that local buses ply this route and you could use them if needed.

The bus stand for Ferrol is on the lower level of the bus depot. You get your ticket on the upper level at the bus company window. There are several bus offices there.When the bus comes just say "Ferrol, por favor?" to the driver to check it's the right one.It's about 9 euros. If I remember right, the airport bus comes to the station, or passes just outside. Ask people to tell you when it's your stop. They will take care of you; the Spanish/Galicians are nice people.

The organising can sometimes seem stressful , but it's only our anxieties tripping us up. In the end if you forget something, no worries, you can buy the item. On the way out of Ferrol, you pass a big supermarket and a Lidl with an adequate wine section. So that's OK.

Yes walking is simpler than preparing. And if you lose your way it's OK, you will find it back, or arrive at your destination by another route.

Have a great time; you will.

It's OK. You will not have any problem you can't solve.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Glen, In your haste to set off from Ferrol don't forget the advice to make sure to get your credencial stamped in Ferrol itself to show you have walked the 100+km required for a Compostela.
Do you have the CSJ guide book? it is full of excellent advice apart from the actual directions.
We will be back home before you set off but there might be time to send/post any new info we find along the Way, and Johnnie Walker is about to walk the route again too.
Buen Camino,
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria said:
Hi Glen, In your haste to set off from Ferrol don't forget the advice to make sure to get your credencial stamped in Ferrol itself to show you have walked the 100+km required for a Compostela.
Do you have the CSJ guide book? it is full of excellent advice apart from the actual directions.
We will be back home before you set off but there might be time to send/post any new info we find along the Way, and Johnnie Walker is about to walk the route again too.
Buen Camino,
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Good reminder here - there is a Ferrol tourist office to give you a sellos but dont worry; in the sheeting rain and poncho-flapping wind I didnt get a sello in Ferrol but squelched on to Neda. There was no problem.

So it'll be good and let us know how your worries were unfounded after your camino.

Hi - a friend called the bus station in Santiago for me. The times of the bsues are:

the bus to Ferrol leaves Santiago at: 9.15 11.00 13.30 16.10 18.00 19.30 21.00

The distance from Ferrol to Neda is 11kms.

Buen Camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello glen:
Buen Camino -- I immensely enjoyed the CI. I envy you getting started soon!

BTW: You can catch a bus from SdC airport directly to the bus station for about 2-3 euros. Takes about 20 minutes as I recall. When you exit the airport turn right and walk down about 50 meters. There is a stone pillar which designates the bus stop.

To Ferrol from the Santiago bus station:

Bus time Arrival time Fare See line
09:15:00 10:40:00 9.9 € Santiago E.A. - Ferrol E.A. Por autoestrada ata Cabanas
11:00:00 12:25:00 9.9 € Santiago - Ferrol - Viveiro por Autoestrada ata Guísamo
13:30:00 14:55:00 9.9 € Santiago E.A. - Ferrol E.A. Por autoestrada ata Cabanas
15:00:00 16:10:00 9.9 € Santiago - Ferrol - Viveiro por Autoestrada ata Fene ( enlace en Ferrol)
16:10:00 17:35:00 9.9 € Santiago E.A. - Ferrol E.A. Por autoestrada ata Cabanas
16:30:00 18:27:00 9.9 € Ferrol - Santiago por Ordes (Castromil)
18:00:00 19:25:00 9.9 € Santiago E.A. - Ferrol E.A. Por autoestrada ata Cabanas
19:30:00 20:40:00 9.9 € Santiago - Ferrol - Viveiro por Autoestrada ata Fene ( enlace en Ferrol)
21:00:00 22:25:00 9.9 € Santiago E.A. - Ferrol E.A. Por autoestrada ata Cabanas

|Hi anyone out there. I have just joined the site, and have problems posting my questions, so sorry that I'm using your question to pose mine. I'm starting my walk on May 1st. 2011 At St. jean -Pied- de port. Would like to know if there is someone walking on that day. I'm walking on my own.
Thanks
Connie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Connie and welcome.
I think you start a new question by clicking on (eg) 'Camino Frances' on the main forum board, then 'New Topic'. Give your post a title, type your question etc....(I'm not good at it either).
This thread maybe won't get you a helpful answer quickly, re company, as most of us are starting from Ferrol.
Have a really great Camino.
Tia Valeria

Hi Connie,

I'm starting in Pamplona on May 4th so we will most probably meet up at some stage.
I'm sure you will find others to walk with you over the Pyrenees

I saw the box NEWTOPIC and read it as" newt opic". I could not make out what an opic was until someone asked how to start a new thread and Iver explained.

Buen Camino I look forward to meeting you,

Lydia

Tourist office in Ferrol now at 12, Rua Magdalena, across the main square from the address given in J.W's guide (for map and sello)
When exiting SDC airport, to catch bus into the city, be sure to turn right and walk along to the next stop, as previous post - do not wait at the bus stop by the entrance (as I did, and missed the first bus into the bus station!) 3euros single, 5 return.
IMHO it will take you longer than 2 hours to walk to Neda, but entirely doable if you get to Ferrol by mid afternoon.The local (?unemployed?) youth tend to hang about round the refuge at Neda - probably not a problem, but could be intimidating...
An unforeseen drawback when I walked in early April was that because of the time difference, and the fact that Galicia is far to the west, it didn't get light until about 8am, but will obviously be earlier when you go.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[quote="Sojourner47"The local (?unemployed?) youth tend to hang about round the refuge at Neda - probably not a problem, but could be intimidating...
[/quote]

Yes SJ, I found a group of teenagers hanging around on the river/estuary side of the albergue. I too thought they were out of a job. They just hung around and were fine. Problem is there's a lot of glass in that refugio, and some pilgs may feel invaded.

Hola

I've recently finished walking the route again from Ferrol. There are few changes of substance and if you follow the arrows all will be well. There is now a permanent albergue in Pontedeume.

For those who are concerned at obtaining a compostela be aware that the Pilgrims' Office is looking for 2 sellos per day even on this route. This is because of a significant increase in the number of "cheats" on the Camino Ingles who are travelling by car. This time I found an increase in the number of places which have sellos I suppose as a consequence of the increased numbers in the holy year. I easily collected at least 2 sellos per day with the exception of the stage from Betanzos to Bruma - it is not possible if the Bar Julia is closed. I've now made this clear to colleagues in the PIlgrims' Office. In any event they have never refused a Compostela to anyone who has at least one sello perday rather they simply advise that next time pilgrims should obtain 2.

Best wishes

John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Johnnie Walker
We are to embark on the CI from Ferrol on June 13th and have the csj guide..but we leave Australia in 2 weeks time so have to be prepared now. When you say there are some changes but just follow the arrows...can you say where changes are ...or shall we just follow the arrows and not worry if directions are different?? We have read most of the information on this site so feel quite prepared.
Cheers Jill

Jill

The waymarking on this route is now so good it could be walked without any walking directions at all. In fact I met several people who had no guide and were walking with a simple list of accommodation.

Follow the arrows and all will be well. I will make one change in the next version of the guide on page 16 of the booklet version. The last paragraph will be delated and will read:

"Go to the sign A Faisca and turn Right across the motorway. On the other side immediately turn Right at the yellow arrow on the waymark. Follow the path along the RH side of the railway. Keep on the path as it passes under the railway and KSO veering Right onto a minor road. Follow the waymark on the wall opposite and proceed up the Camino do Vilar and shortly turn Right at the next junction."

I can't emphasise enough that the arrows are accurate. Clearly the local Amigos are maintaining and developing them well. On the route I met a pilgrim using the guide (I hope they aren't reading this!) I watched from a distance as they almost took a wrong turning because their head was in the guidebook whereas the arrows, of which there were plenty, were on the ground.

Best wishes

John

We agree that the signing is very good. There was one stretch where we were unsure leaving Buscas but it did say KSO along the road and there was clear signing left and right onto the Way at the end.
A yellow arrow on a lamp post just past the church would have been a help to confirm we were right.
When in doubt trust Johnnie´s instructions and your `gut feeling´ about being on the Way.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two sellos a day:-
We managed to get signatures on 2 occasions when we couldn´t find a sello. Both were outside closed churches when kind locals signed for us. They seemed quite happy with that in the Office. Also in one village the infants school gave us a sello. I´ll edit this to name the village when I have my credencial in front of me.
It is apparently possible to sleep in the Centro Social in Cos (not sure where you get the key) and in the Colegio in Leiro (go to the Bar Zapatero and ask for the key). The latter has room for 4.
Info gained from 4 (male) Spanish pilgrims.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back