• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with lodging for the last few days into Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, forum pals,

I'm on the Camino Francés unexpectedly (and without a guidebook) and hope to arrive in Santiago on Thursday. I'm in Portomarin tonight, which means that I have three more nights before Santiago.

There are pretty big crowds, but I'm finding places to stay. But what would be really great would be if you could give me specific info on places to stay between here and Santiago. I know the obvious stages are Palas, Arzua, and Arca, but I am happy to go off script to stay in special places. So give me your three night itineraries!

I walked through Sarria today for the first time in more than ten years and was pretty blown away by the 20+ new albergues! It makes finding a place more challenging.

So, Frances experts, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen camiño Laurie .

We used the app AIRBNB on our iphone andfound a nice room in Santiago,oposite the busstation they other day when we met you in person in Santiago
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405277458.152217.jpg
Best regards Albert &Nel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Albertinho, I should have made clear that I have lodging in Santiago, it's just the next three nights between here and there that I'm interested in! (Love that pic! ). Laurie.

Hope this is helpful.

Xan Xulián. Albergue A Obrigadoiro
34 676 59 69 75

Ribadiso de Baixo. Albergue Los Caminantes
34 647 02 06 00
(there is also a very nice municipal albergue there as well, it was full though)

O Pedrouzo. Casal del Calma
34 680 910 676. 34 680 910 678
( if you decide on this one, go into the city when you reach it and do not continue on the camino, you can still get there, but it is not well marked)

Palas de Rei Albergue Meson de Benito tel 607 359 206
Arzua Hostal Theodora tel 981 500 083
Vilamayor Casa de Amancio tel 981 897 086
Buen Camino Laurie
Hope to see you soon :)

Laurie,

Although I generally stay in pilgrim albergues a favorite restaurant spot of mine just east of Palas de Rei is La Cabana which also offers a very good rate for private rooms for pilgrims.

A nice choice for your last night on the camino is the Casa Amancio in Vilamaior. This is a pleasant renovated series of rural buildings with private rooms and common dining room. I have never stayed here but always eat here on the last stretch of each camino. Their food is VERY tasty!

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone so much. Some great ideas here. I am going to try for a room in Casa Amancio and then work backwards. Does anyone have an idea what the distance from Arzua to Casa Amancio would be? I'm guessing it's right about the edge of my comfort zone.

Any ideas for places west of Palas and west of Arzua to try to even out those two days?

Annie are you in santiago now?

Arzua to Vilamaior is roughly 30 k.

Ultreia!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Laurie

We stayed in a new albergue in Salcedo in April:

El Albergue De Boni
618 965 907
It was sympatico! About 11kms west of Arzua.

Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie

El Albergue De Boni
618 965 907

Buen camino
Thanks norelle, I'll mull that over. I'm in Casanova now and am not sure how many k it would be from here. I'll write down the phone and call from Arzua if I feel up to it! Thanks much to all. Laurie

There's a new one on the right just as you come into O Pedrouzo. Can't remember the name but it's new, clean, and even private showers!

Laurie

El Albergue De Boni
618 965 907

Buen camino

Laurie:

I stayed here in April. It is brand new and next to an interesting bar. I drank quite a bit of Herbal liquor here. They have 4-6 beds to a room with an individual outlet for each bed. The showers are in a building out back (a few steps) and while modern are communal (at least the men's was). This might be an issue for some. Nice lounge area downstairs with fireplace. They had a washer and dryer but they were still in boxes when I was there. The place was fine for me.

There is another private Albergue just prior to this one that is nice but was full when I passed through. There is also St. Irene another 5 km's or so along the way.

This was my only stop this year on the Frances. I walked from The monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes to Salcedo (34 km's) to Santiago(27 km's).

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
O Meson at Brea, approx 80mts off the Camino to the left, or you pass it if on the main road - private albergue with 10 bunks, also rooms and excellent food. Brea is half way between Arzua and Lavacolla

Thanks so much to everyone. I just didn't feel like staying with the hoards in Palas, so I walked another 5 km to Casanova, then took a 1.8 km detour to reach the private albergue A Borboleta. Very nice, serves dinner, bkfst included. I took a wrong turn on what was supposed to be a two km walk to the castle at Pambre, so my 4 k RT tuned into at least twice that. If there are no arrows I will get lost. To top it off, the castle was under construction!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
We walked from Palas de Rei to Arzua and then from Arzua to Monte de Gozo, which has a 176 bed municipal albergue in an area being developed as a Vacation Resort. The walk from Arzua to Monte de Gozo is more than 30 Km. but it's a cool and easy walk and the albergue in Monte de Gozo (8 beds per room, good kitchen, good ratio of toilets and baths per bed) is not likely to fill up because people tend to walk from Arzua to O'Pedruozo or Arca. Aside from the nice municipal albergue at 6 Euro, I liked stopping in Monte de Gozo because you only have 5 kilometers to walk to reach Santiago the next day. In case you're wondering, we reached Santiago last June 26.

Well I wound up walking Portomarin -A Borboleta (close to Casanova) - Arzua- Casa de Amancio. What a nice place , about a km uphill from Lavacolla. Thanks to all. View attachment 11482

View from my window.

View attachment 11483

Tomorrow Santiago.

Laurie - Casa de Amancio is one of those secrets we don´t want anyone else to know about.
I have stayed there three times now and it is my all time favorite - with excellent dinner and so close to Santiago.

I will be in SDC the last two weeks in August - very soon.

Hope to see you soon!

Buen camino
Regards Annie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie - Casa de Amancio is one of those secrets we don´t want anyone else to know about.
I have stayed there three times now and it is my all time favorite - with excellent dinner and so close to Santiago.

I will be in SDC the last two weeks in August - very soon.

Hope to see you soon!

Buen camino
Regards Annie

I'm all in favor of secret places, but I worry that this wonderful place is too much of a secret! Lavacolla was full, and neither of those places (the bar or the Hostal San Paio) can hold a candle to this, but I'm here with a Spanish family and that's it.

I understand that many people only want albergues, so they'll be in O Pedrouzo or Monte Gozo, but if you're going to spring for private lodging, just go one more km beyond Lavacolla and the Casa Amancio awaits. Wonderful people, great food.

Well, Casa de Amancio is completo tonight :)

I am sitting here in this lovely little place drinking my coffee all alone and wondering if the family should consider turning some of their casitas into a private albergue.

Seems each casita could hold 3 bunks easily. If they had 3 casitas as an albergue that would be 18 beds, which is big enough I think. There would still be four casitas for those who like private places.

I know monte Gozo is only 3.5 km away but do you think there's a large enough number of people who would want a more home-style and smaller place?

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back