• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with planning

Luz de Luna

Time of past OR future Camino
Francais 2016
Prortugues central/ coastal 2023
My husband and I are interested in walking a portion of the Norte. We would like to walk about 300 km over two weeks, starting in San Sebastián. We prefer to walk an average of twenty km/day and because we are older, we find it more comfortable to stay in pre booked accommodations vs. hostels. Does anyone have suggestions for an itinerary that would fit these requirements? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No one source has all the places to stay. Gronze.com is excellent for sure. You should also download the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps. There will be more choices. Booking.com is also a good resource. But they may appear as sold out when the hotel you want is still available. I would call the hotel directly for reservations. You may get a better pilgrim rate. (Maybe, it is not guaranteed at all) It also saves the owners the Booking.com commission.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Editorial Buen Camino app has a useful planning section. 👌

My husband and I are interested in walking a portion of the Norte. We would like to walk about 300 km over two weeks, starting in San Sebastián. We prefer to walk an average of twenty km/day and because we are older, we find it more comfortable to stay in pre booked accommodations vs. hostels. Does anyone have suggestions for an itinerary that would fit these requirements? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Try the application "Wise Pilgrim" for the Camino Norte. You will find everything you need there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
300 km from San Sebastian puts you about 40 km west of Santander (which has easy travel connections). But it also puts you in the delightful medieval tourist town of Santillana del Mar. Just 2 km south of town is the Museo Altamira. The museo is an EXACT (40,000 pixels to the square meter!) reproduction cave of the adjacent Cuevo Altamira, painted by early Spainards 15,600 years ago. Jaw dropping amazing. Don't miss it. Buen CaminoIMG-1318 (1).jpg

The Editorial Buen Camino app has a useful planning section. 👌
I helped several pilgrims with the Buen Camino app while I was on the Norte last week. Many of them said that they couldn't access the stage planning tool because they hadn't paid for the app. But if you scroll down a bit, there's a button to request access without paying. If you tap that it should (almost) instantly give you full access to all parts of the app. But of course, if you find the app useful you should use the donation button to give back.

I also used the Wise Pilgrim app quite a bit, and liked its WhatsApp helper function. A long press next to the WhatsApp icon on an accommodation's listing will automatically help you send a message to that property. It's a good idea to add it to your contacts so that you remember which places you messaged. You'll see an "add" button at the top of the page when you message

I helped several pilgrims with the Buen Camino app while I was on the Norte last week. Many of them said that they couldn't access the stage planning tool because they hadn't paid for the app. But if you scroll down a bit, there's a button to request access without paying. If you tap that it should (almost) instantly give you full access to all parts of the app. But of course, if you find the app useful you should use the donation button to give back.

I also used the Wise Pilgrim app quite a bit, and liked its WhatsApp helper function. A long press next to the WhatsApp icon on an accommodation's listing will automatically help you send a message to that property. It's a good idea to add it to your contacts so that you remember which places you messaged. You'll see an "add" button at the top of the page when you message
All such great advice, thank you! I’m saving your response for future reference.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back