• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles: buy before or during Camino?

Kbierstube

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 29 (2017)
I've read about the merits of hiking poles. I believe I'm sold on the idea of using them while walking the Camino. I'm trying to determine if I should buy them in the US before I depart or if I should buy them while on the Camino? What should I take into consideration?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Price. Quality. Whether you will be carrying on your pack on the airplane or whether you put it in checked luggage.
There are some very expensive types of trekking poles out there. I'm sure they are better than the cheaper ones, but if you are on a budget it's a moot point. Personally I wouldn't spend too much on a set as they are often forgotten, accidentally taken or deliberately stolen at the albergues.
My last Camino I bought a set in Puenta la Reina for 24 euros for the pair. They worked fine for me all the way to Santiago. As I was carrying on my backpack for the flight home, I left the trekking poles in Santiago as donativo. I hope they helped someone get to Finisterre.
You can easily buy a pair of trekking poles in St Jean or Pamplona as well.
Whether you bring a set with you, or you buy a set when you get to Europe, make sure you carry a couple of sets of extra rubber tip covers for them. Reduces the clackety-clack they make on cobblestone, concrete, etc.

It may seem funny but there may be merit to buying them now at home and learning how to use them before you leave. It would seem that trekking poles are easy to use however to really get full benefit from them, proper technique does count. Properly used they can take away a significant amount of stress to your body, help you use additional muscle sets to ascend hills and give you additional points of contact with the ground for safety in perilous conditions. Improperly used they give you something to hold in your hands. The only challenge is whether you plan to carry on your pack or check it as you likely won't be able to carry them into the cabin with you.

I second the call for the rubber tips. Easy to take them off when you actually need the extra traction but much nicer experience for those around you and the locals whose homes you be walking past. I've made it a habit to carry my poles when walking through towns and villages to reduce the noise for them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't need trekking poles.

Most of the time I carried the one I brought in my hand or tied to my pack. I used it going down hills but could have done without.

Things like trekking poles go up in price the closer you get to places like the Camino. If you must carry them, get them before you leave and make an informed purchase.

If you decide to purchase them on arrival, consider borrowing a pair that you can practice with before you leave. Using them properly is not complicated, but it will be much easier to learn how without all the other things that will be going on at the start of your walk.

I discovered its cheaper to buy the hiking poles once you arrive on the Camino. That way I can carry my backpack in the cabin overhead compartment, rather than checking it in and paying a hefty surcharge with most low cost European airlines.

Prior to my first Camino I've never used them, but you quickly get a hang of them, if you move your hands naturally while walking. The trick is properly setting the hand straps but staff in the shop can show you how to set it up properly.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What @whariwharangi said. If you are not used to trekking poles then don’t bother on the Camino Frances either. If you do take, or buy some, then learn how to use them. I love walking behind pilgrims who obviously have no idea why they have a trekking pole in each hand. It’s hilarious.

I discovered its cheaper to buy the hiking poles once you arrive on the Camino. That way I can carry my backpack in the cabin overhead compartment, rather than checking it in and paying a hefty surcharge with most low cost European airlines.

Prior to my first Camino I've never used them, but you quickly get a hang of them, if you move your hands naturally while walking. The trick is properly setting the hand straps but staff in the shop can show you how to set it up properly.

Buen Camino.
Yeah, I agree. I had never used a set before, but it took me all of five minutes to get it down (OJT baby!) and they did help me tremendously. The woman in the shop where I bought them had walked the Camino before and she showed me what height to adjust them at and how to hold the hand straps. That took all of five minutes as well.
I suppose if someone is really concerned about it, one could watch a youtube video showing you how to use them (show you how to walk with sticks? ha ha), but otherwise if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can walk properly with a set of trekking poles or quickly learn how. I never saw anyone having trouble with them and never observed anybody hilariously (really?) walking with them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suppose if someone is really concerned about it, one could watch a youtube video showing you how to use them (show you how to walk with sticks? ha ha), but otherwise if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can walk properly with a set of trekking poles or quickly learn how. I never saw anyone having trouble with them and never observed anybody hilariously (really?) walking with them.
Droll, Mark, droll!! The issue that I most often see is that people haven't learnt how to use the straps, and when that happens, use them the wrong way around or have them poorly adjusted so that they are of no benefit. There are also technique differences about whether to plant the leading pole in line with the body and use a two beat pattern, or to plant it with or in front of the leading foot and have a three beat pattern. The latter is very similar to the way that a long walking staff is typically used, whereas nordic walking seems to emphasize the two beat approach.

As for walking hilariously, I was fascinated to see what I can only imagine were wannabe drum majors, who would give their sticks a twirl in the air every few steps, or move their arms in a graceful arc around to the side rather than putting real pressure on them.

Droll, Mark, droll!! The issue that I most often see is that people haven't learnt how to use the straps, and when that happens, use them the wrong way around or have them poorly adjusted so that they are of no benefit. There are also technique differences about whether to plant the leading pole in line with the body and use a two beat pattern, or to plant it with or in front of the leading foot and have a three beat pattern. The latter is very similar to the way that a long walking staff is typically used, whereas nordic walking seems to emphasize the two beat approach.

As for walking hilariously, I was fascinated to see what I can only imagine were wannabe drum majors, who would give their sticks a twirl in the air every few steps, or move their arms in a graceful arc around to the side rather than putting real pressure on them.
I'm no Lawrence Welk of trekking poles (and a one, and a two :D ), and don't know anything about beat patterns (? :D ) but I just don't see in over-complicating the issue of walking with sticks and possibly putting unnecessary concern into first time Camino walkers and first time trekking pole users. I personally would feel like a Camino snob doing that and I honestly saw no Camino walkers (and I'm sure I saw hundreds) handling trekking poles in all kinds of crazy contortions. As far as I know, no pilgrims have died on the Camino from dangerous trekking pole usage.
I'd say to anyone thinking about them and who has never used them before and is reading this, don't be intimidated (trust me, the overwhelming majority of pilgrims could give a rat's posterior about your trekking pole techniques) and go ahead and buy an inexpensive set when you get to the Camino. Try them out. If they work, great. If not? Donativo time! Somebody will use them.
ultreia!

I'm no Lawrence Welk of trekking poles (and a one, and a two :D ), and don't know anything about beat patterns (? :D ) but I just don't see in over-complicating the issue of walking with sticks and possibly putting unnecessary concern into first time Camino walkers and first time trekking pole users. I personally would feel like a Camino snob doing that and I honestly saw no Camino walkers (and I'm sure I saw hundreds) handling trekking poles in all kinds of crazy contortions. As far as I know, no pilgrims have died on the Camino from dangerous trekking pole usage.
I'd say to anyone thinking about them and who has never used them before and is reading this, don't be intimidated (trust me, the overwhelming majority of pilgrims could give a rat's posterior about your trekking pole techniques) and go ahead and buy an inexpensive set when you get to the Camino. Try them out. If they work, great. If not? Donativo time! Somebody will use them.
ultreia!
@Mark Lee, these remarks are almost Luddite. Walking poles are not overly complicated technology, and you are right that people shouldn't be intimidated by them. My view is that the best way of avoiding that is taking a the time to learn how to use them properly. Some people will get it in a few minutes, some might take longer.

However, if that few minutes is at the start of the camino when someone is also fiddling with the adjustments of their pack and figuring out whether they can reach their water bottle, camera or snacks, it won't be very effective. I merely recommended that this be done before one leaves so that it can be done without those distractions, and when the process should be much less intimidating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Mark Lee, these remarks are almost Luddite. Walking poles are not overly complicated technology, and you are right that people shouldn't be intimidated by them. My view is that the best way of avoiding that is taking a the time to learn how to use them properly. Some people will get it in a few minutes, some might take longer.

However, if that few minutes is at the start of the camino when someone is also fiddling with the adjustments of their pack and figuring out whether they can reach their water bottle, camera or snacks, it won't be very effective. I merely recommended that this be done before one leaves so that it can be done without those distractions, and when the process should be much less intimidating.
Ha ha. I'm no hater of technology (I say whilst typing this out on a laptop wearing a synthetic tech shirt and running shorts).

Ha ha. I'm no hater of technology (I say whilst typing this out on a laptop wearing a synthetic tech shirt and running shorts).
It's good to see someone that appreciates modern fabrics are just as much good technology as electronics:).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always take my poles in cabin with me. They are carbon fibre Z-folding ultra lights. My knees love them!

In MHO I don't think anyone needs trekking poles on the Camino Francis unless you have a medical need for them. My wife has had two knee replacement, she took one pole, most times it remained strapped to her pack. (adds to your weight) Occasionally she used the one pole on difficult down hill sections. She also found it very useful to fend off a dog that was trying to bit me.
If you must take poles, please do the long suffering Spanish villagers a favour and use rubber tips on the end of them.

In MHO I don't think anyone needs trekking poles on the Camino Francis unless you have a medical need for them. My wife has had two knee replacement, she took one pole, most times it remained strapped to her pack. (adds to your weight) Occasionally she used the one pole on difficult down hill sections. She also found it very useful to fend off a dog that was trying to bit me.
If you must take poles, please do the long suffering Spanish villagers a favour and use rubber tips on the end of them.

In my case you are right, I did not Need treking poles. I could have managed without them. However I used them quite extensively and they made the walk so much easier and more enjoyable. My knees also especially appreciated the help from the Poles. As has been stated in other posts above, learning how to use poles properly makes a huge difference to your walking experience. IMO, if someone actually experiences the benefit of using poles properly, as opposed to taking the poles for a walk, they will not be a burden or extra weight but a very useful item well worth carrying.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back