• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles

Fay Clarke

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino in April 2018.
My name is Fay and l am planning to do the Camino next April. I have been looking at poles and am confused at the moment. I do think though l like the z ones that fold in three? I am 4ft 11/150cm, weigh 55 kilo and have just had shoulder surgery. Any suggestions?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You might consider Pacer poles, they can be divided in three pieces too. They have a unique design of the handles which facilitates a more natural support. At least that's my experience, I have used Leki poles before. Look them up on the internet, a disadvantage is that they only can bought via internet. (They are made in the UK)

Hi Fay,

Hiking poles is one of the truly BIG topics on this forum. I suggest that it's well worth a search to find previous threads about this topic. There's endless discussion about whether one should use poles or not! So, right off, by deciding to use them (good idea) you've reduced your research workload by half. There are some very good training videos on YouTube.

My personal opinion: I don't like poles with internal stretchy shock absorbers. They make a weird clattery sound which annoys many other walkers (for example, me). Also, think about your choice of tips - hard tips are noisy on pavement, they annoy many locals in the early mornings (and me all the time). I use rubber tips all the time and use telescoping flip-lock poles with no shock absorbers - very quiet.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The choices are among things like anti-shock, angled grips, weight, number of sections, and material. There is a lot of advice and opinion in the Forum, so you will need to test the options yourself to make a reasoned choice. To to a store like REI and examine and hold the various poles. I have used Pacer Poles for years, and prefer them, but as mentioned, you have to buy them on the internet, so there is not testing them first. I think they have a liberal return policy, though.

I use "Black Diamond" poles flick lock, with three parts which hause inside each other. So far four caminos: Camino Frances, Camino Norte, Camino de la Plata and Camino de Levante. I wouldn't leave home without them! 14919180705171480181375.jpg

I used Leki flick lock poles last year and they were awesome! You definitely need them. They also compact down to a manageable 24 inches.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get poles! My knees loved them going downwards, my quads liked them going up, and I warded off aggressive dogs too. Learn to hold and use them properly for best benefit. Mine are two part but three parts would be easier to stow. Get durable comfortable gloves that don't mind getting sweaty or wet. Cheers, Keith

I only have cheap rubbishy poles bought ten years ago in a discount sports store somewhere near Burgos, and I still adore them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.