• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy day in July

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2024
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do not want to have to fight to get in, or be stuck in a massive crowd at each stop from Sarria every day if too many pilgrims are all trying to arrive on the 24-25. Looking for suggestions. Also, do they swing the botafumario at all masses on the 25, or just one?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If previous years are any guide the number of pilgrims on the Camino will not be hugely different around the 24th and 25th. Once you are in Santiago itself you should be prepared for huge crowds though. And access to the cathedral will likely be very difficult and slow.

There are some who would say that given that you are on a Pilgrimage, it would be a fortunate coincidence that you are in Santiago de Compostela on the very day that Santiago himself is feted with people/pilgrims celebrating the very essence of the Camino. Can't get much more Pilgrimey or Caminoey than that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
IMHO....
plan to finish on July 24th and, if you wish, obtain your Compostela or certificate then. There were fireworks the night before, at least in 2021. It was busy....but it was a Holy Year then.

Whether the botafumerio swings at *any* Mass on July 25th, 2024, depends on whether the botafumerio is repaired by then ( It did not swing at all Masses in 2021) . But do check Mass schedules on the 25th...not all Masses were open to the public on that day.

you are in Santiago de Compostela on the very day that Santiago himself is feted with people/pilgrims celebrating the very essence of the Camino
FWIW, I got the impression that it is not so much the very essence of the Camino that is celebrated on the Apostle’s feast day in July but Saint James as the protector and patron saint of Spain and as the patron saint of Galicia.

As to the question about the Botafumeiro: The solemn mass (at 10:30 am) is the only occasion on that day when the Botafumeiro is officially scheduled to swing. I don’t know whether any pilgrim arriving in Santiago can participate - access may be restricted and it will be mainly locals and dignitaries such as the Spanish king or his official representative who are present.

Regular pilgrim masses are scheduled throughout the day but not before the 10:30 am special mass.

Last edited:
The Feast of Santiago is ALWAYS a cause for a huge celebration. It is always on 25 July, regardless of what day that falls on. In 2024, it falls on a Thursday.

This means that most folks participating in this celebration, will take Friday off as a "bridge day." That fact will increase the crowds in Santiago - making a long weekend.

The city is crowded with tens (hundreds) of thousands of merrymakers. There are processions, festivals, concerts, parties.

On the night of the 24th leading to midnight, there are world-class fireworks around Santiago that can be viewed from multiple locations. They used to shoot them from the roof of the Raxoi Palace - Town Hall - opposite the Cathedral on the West Side. But, "short shots' caused damage to the roof.

Officials did not want to chance another Notre Dame type fire. So, the stopped this practice and decentralized the fireworks show to five launch areas around Santiago. Crowds still gather in Plaza Obradoiro at night to view the laser light show that is projected on the Raxoi Palace.

I consider it a good thing when I am able to be at Santiago to celebrate the Feast of Santiago. I hope you will too.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As to the question about the Botafumeiro: The solemn mass (at 10:30 am) is the only occasion on that day when the Botafumeiro is officially scheduled to swing. I don’t know whether any pilgrim arriving in Santiago can participate - access may be restricted and it will be mainly locals and dignitaries such as the Spanish king or his official representative who are present.
This is certainly the schedule. But the botafumeiro is being repaired and there is no date given for its return. If it has been returned by July 25, it will certainly be swung at the scheduled time. But it is also possible it won't be swung this year, being off for repairs.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back