• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Year 2021

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Hello Esteemed Members
As you can see - I am in planning stage and good 2 years out (but that gives me more than adequate time to prepare all the pertinent aspects of this truly wonderful adventure)
So, my first question is - given the fact that it is a Holy Year - will there be a spike in pilgrims somewhat throughout the season (and even incl shoulder months) or just in whatever allows one to be in Santiago on July 25th?
To further explain - I plan to leave SJPdP around 30 May and be in SdC perhaps 4 July. So... am I rolling with the crowd or am I ahead of it?

many thanks and Buen Camino!!!! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’ll be deep in it! Check out past pilgrimage numbers during Santiago Holy Years (different from the worldwide Catholic Jubilee Years) and you’ll note the “slight” uptick 😳

But yes, your dates would be less than on the actual feast day...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Esteemed Members
As you can see - I am in planning stage and good 2 years out (but that gives me more than adequate time to prepare all the pertinent aspects of this truly wonderful adventure)
So, my first question is - given the fact that it is a Holy Year - will there be a spike in pilgrims somewhat throughout the season (and even incl shoulder months) or just in whatever allows one to be in Santiago on July 25th?
To further explain - I plan to leave SJPdP around 30 May and be in SdC perhaps 4 July. So... am I rolling with the crowd or am I ahead of it?

many thanks and Buen Camino!!!! :)
A bit of what to expect. Find the holy years.
images

Use this site to view compostelas issued by month and year:

Yes I definitely saw the 'annual' spike. no surprises there.
Was actually trying to gage on how it will stack up by months. Looks like easily doubles and since the Movie was released - the numbers keep on climbing
(I believe you have the 2017 numbers on the Forum that can attest to the statement).

I am not worried. Will it present 'extra' challenges? Undoubtedly! But...so many posts about 'Camino Provides' that I am totally content on experiencing it for myself. Positive attitude, right? 👍

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have seen estimates of up to 500.000 pilgrims:)

Personally, I assess that 500k is very conservative. My estimates, based on past measurements and rates of growth, suggest the 2021 annualized total number of pilgrims could top 650,000.

Acknowledging this reality, I am NOT planning to walk a Camino that year. Instead, I plan to volunteer to work another month at the Pilgrim Office. Perhaps I will split my two months and return home for a few months in-between.

I note, primarily for Catholics, that the plenary indulgence awarded by the Pope this year requires visiting the Cathedral, venerating Santiago’s relics, and performing the customary sacramental activities. It DOES NOT require that you arrive at Santiago from a pilgrimage. That said, most folks seeking the indulgence will naturally combine the activities. I understand this.

I will be walking my 7th Camino this year, and hopefully my 8th next year. In 2021, the office will need as many volunteers as they can get. So, as a way of giving back to the Camino, I will exchange my Camino for helping others.

Plus, this avoids all the drama that this traffic volume will likely bring to the Camino. If you think the current ‘bed race’ is fun, you will LOVE “Peak Pilgrim...” Yikes!

Hope this helps.

I have seen estimates of up to 500.000 pilgrims:)
🎶 Well I could walk 500 miles
With 500K Pilgrims by my side
We all will check-in at Orrison
And sing this very silly song

Da da da (da da da)
Da da da (da da da)
Da da da dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da...🎶

WAIT! Its MORE than 500 miles 🤪

Seriously, what can one do?
First off, I am still hoping and Praying that my boss will be kind enough to let me have 6 weeks off.
I sort of casually mentioned the Camino to him last year and he said "get enough time off and we'll talk" (Heck at least he didn't say NO off the bat). But I am not sure he thought 6 weeks (I don't think I thought it either...😇). So the indicated time frame or more the start of it (end of May 2021 ) will get me the needed accumulated time without completely robbing me of any time off meanwhile (I figure I can still take 2 weekly vacations this year and in 2020). Yeah I know...seems its tough to get these vacations here in US vs. Europe but I am not complaining!
That said, provided that I will get it, within that time frame I hit 2 US Holidays (Memorial Day & 4th of July) which should somewhat help with the request itself and the accumulation (-2 days of 'vacation')
Interestingly as well, I'd be celebrating my 62nd Birthday on Camino - could be fun 🎂
That in itself propels me to do it 'sooner than later'. Yes I see a good number of folks being the same age and older and within reasons I am in pretty good shape (could use to shed couple of lbs to be honest), an avid walker and hiker, but like it or not one never knows so that is my 1st open opportunity.

So... accept the inevitable and carry on. Be prepared "for the worst" and thus be pleasantly surprised if "its not that bad"

Personally, I assess that 500k is very conservative. My estimates, based on past measurements and rates of growth, suggest the 2021 annualized total number of pilgrims could top 650,000.
...Plus, this avoids all the drama that this traffic volume will likely bring to the Camino. If you think the current ‘bed race’ is fun, you will LOVE “Peak Pilgrim...” Yikes!
Hope this helps.
Thanks @t2andreo. Of course the thought of the bed race played out in my mind as a part of this thread - kinda why i asked the questions to begin with. I mean anything that happens on a 'normal' daily basis will be multiplied... we could also add portions of trail churned to mud if it happens to rain for couple of days and everyone is trudging on it... and perhaps more and more situations...although I have a feeling that the 'touristy spots and establishments' may be 'just fine' 😏

Currently I am toying with the idea of lugging my sleeping bag so... if need be - sleep out in the open, deal with laundry & showers as it comes? Enough posts about sleeping on the floor of monasteries, churches, what-have-you to think its possible?
Hitting some private and perhaps a bit more expensive accommodations here and there? (OK.. yeah.. not very comfortable for the former and definitely hit on the budget for the latter, but if that's the way the dice rolls - go with it, right?)

Obviously my other option would be to plan for either later the same year (would have to be September-October...and where is the guarantee that it will not be just as crazy) or try 2022 which, while is not completely off the table, I'd rather leave as the last option due to some of the reasons I mentioned in above post.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am sure that booking and tour companies that offer support vehicles will also be experiencing a surge as well. And the repairs on the church will be finished so pilgrim masses will also resume with use of the botafumeiro. That will likely draw people back for those who are delaying for that reason or missed it in this year or the next for whom that part of the journey is important.

I am sure that booking and tour companies that offer support vehicles will also be experiencing a surge as well. And the repairs on the church will be finished so pilgrim masses will also resume with use of the botafumeiro. That will likely draw people back for those who are delaying for that reason or missed it in this year or the next for whom that part of the journey is important.
Wouldn't the above mentioned estimate of 650K+ already take that into consideration?
All valid points though...

You could perhaps move your Camino up a month, and that warmer weather scares off a fair amount of prospective pilgrims. You also carry less, there is less chance of rain and your sleeping bag need only be the lightest summer weight if you decide to sleep outside. The days are longer as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You could perhaps move your Camino up a month, and that warmer weather scares off a fair amount of prospective pilgrims. You also carry less, there is less chance of rain and your sleeping bag need only be the lightest summer weight if you decide to sleep outside. The days are longer as well.
Thanks @RJM but the warmer weather will not do for me - i would definitely fall into that category of fair amount of prospective pilgrims:)

I can hike. Did a 3 1/2 day Camino Inca to Machu Picchu. Did a 10+ mile R/T hiking in & out to Emerald Bay on Rubicon Trail (Lake Tahoe) in one day... Done numerous 10+ mile hikes in Poconos, Blue Ridge mountains, etc....
however...the temps MUST be anywhere from upper 60s to mid-70s (F) so I am thinking that even going through June I may not be a happy guy... so going July\August or even June/july wont work (besides with July 25 being a part of it - IMHO will only add to madness) - I simply wont make it on the heat account.

July also happens to be the month of my wife's birthday which means I'd like to be back home for that....

Like I said - maybe just may be try September\October which still gives no guarantee that the number will diminish from what they would be otherwise.

So... perhaps I can advance the question and seek some opinions on the following:

obviously we are guessing but what would be anyone's guess as to which just may work out better (still talking about 2021): end-May/beginning-July or say mid-September/end-October?

Many thanks in advance

p.s. my sleeping bag is my old (c. 2004) White Stag Medium - probably about 4 lbs

Last edited:
Thanks @RJM but the warmer weather will not do for me - i would definitely fall into that category of fair amount of prospective pilgrims:)

I can hike. Did a 3 1/2 day Camino Inca to Machu Picchu. Did a 10+ mile R/T hiking in & out to Emerald Bay on Rubicon Trail (Lake Tahoe) in one day... Done numerous 10+ mile hikes in Poconos, Blue Ridge mountains, etc....
however...the temps MUST be anywhere from upper 60s to mid-70s (F) so I am thinking that even going through June I may not be a happy guy... so going July\August or even June/july wont work (besides with July 25 being a part of it - IMHO will only add to madness) - I simply wont make it on the heat account.

July also happens to be the month of my wife's birthday which means I'd like to be back home for that....

Like I said - maybe just may be try September\October which still gives no guarantee that the number will diminish from what they would be otherwise.

So... perhaps I can advance the question and seek some opinions on the following:

obviously we are guessing but what would be anyone's guess as to which just may work out better (still talking about 2021): end-May/beginning-July or say mid-September/end-October?

Many thanks in advance

p.s. my sleeping bag is my old (c. 2004) White Stag Medium - probably about 4 lbs
I would recommend then you walk March-April, or October into early November. September will be very busy I imagine. The October may be the better choice. Way less pilgrim numbers after mid month, and I imagine even so in a holy year. Mind you albergues begin closing, but still plenty enough open in the larger towns. The weather is never really warm. If you are heat sensitive, June-September on the Camino probably won't suit you.
That four pound bag is far too heavy, IMO. I would never carry one that weighed more than a kilo (2.2 lbs).

Thanks @RJM
So... March-April probably wont do as I will not have the time properly accumulated yet; and it may bring another 'rush' as we are in Holy Week, (Palm Sunday - 28 March/ Easter - 4 April).... OK say start a week after that but then I am still back to not having enough time accumulated

If I start SJPdP 19 September and shoot for leaving for home on 30 October - that gives me 41 days to do full Frances, proceed to Finisterre and then (on the morning of 30th.... we will presume that everything falls into the place) take a bus back to SdC or straight to the Airport (or however that may work out) and catch a mid-day flight back home. Based on your suggestion - that just may prove to be a better option... (OK it will 'cost' me in 2 additional vacation days but i can live with that)

Agreed on the weight of the bag but that's the one I have. If by any chance I come across something cheap (perhaps a used one that someone is selling) or even donation of a sort - I might consider. Else - I think I might channel the funds into stuff i don't have (like for instance none of my 2 backpacks are 'Camino-worthy').
I appreciate the support I am getting from the family, however I am very conservative on what I want to spend (i.e. like it or not it could conceivably go into retirement funds....). I believe I already mentioned on another thread that based on some estimates I have seen in the last couple of months I should budget 40 Euros\day (and I agree that it could be an overkill and probably is, but I'd rather walk out from the trip with some money left than to under-budget), so with US R\T flights and other transportation-related costs I could be looking at $3,500.00 total bill and that is without purchasing any equipment...

...may be i didn't weigh the bag right? 😕😀...yeah must be that...LOL

thanks - do appreciate everything I am learning!!!! Exchange of minds and ideas is a beautiful thing and probably in part why I am so moved to do the Pilgrimage!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, it will be VERY crowded...but who’d want to attend a party that no one else was at?!?!! In honor of Fat Tuesday: Let the Good Times Roll! 👍

Thanks @RJM
So... March-April probably wont do as I will not have the time properly accumulated yet; and it may bring another 'rush' as we are in Holy Week, (Palm Sunday - 28 March/ Easter - 4 April).... OK say start a week after that but then I am still back to not having enough time accumulated

If I start SJPdP 19 September and shoot for leaving for home on 30 October - that gives me 41 days to do full Frances, proceed to Finisterre and then (on the morning of 30th.... we will presume that everything falls into the place) take a bus back to SdC or straight to the Airport (or however that may work out) and catch a mid-day flight back home. Based on your suggestion - that just may prove to be a better option... (OK it will 'cost' me in 2 additional vacation days but i can live with that)

Agreed on the weight of the bag but that's the one I have. If by any chance I come across something cheap (perhaps a used one that someone is selling) or even donation of a sort - I might consider. Else - I think I might channel the funds into stuff i don't have (like for instance none of my 2 backpacks are 'Camino-worthy').
I appreciate the support I am getting from the family, however I am very conservative on what I want to spend (i.e. like it or not it could conceivably go into retirement funds....). I believe I already mentioned on another thread that based on some estimates I have seen in the last couple of months I should budget 40 Euros\day (and I agree that it could be an overkill and probably is, but I'd rather walk out from the trip with some money left than to under-budget), so with US R\T flights and other transportation-related costs I could be looking at $3,500.00 total bill and that is without purchasing any equipment...

thanks - do appreciate everything I am learning!!!! Exchange of minds and ideas is a beautiful thing and probably in part why I am so moved to do the Pilgrimage!
In reference to equipment you carry on the Camino, by no means do you need expensive stuff to walk it. You simply need lightweight stuff and not bring too much stuff. You can buy all the clothing you need for it in walmart or target stores in the US. You can buy tech shirts, shorts, underwear, socks etc there, and quite possibly a summer weight sleeping bag more suitable than the one you have. You can also buy very inexpensive ones on amazon. I don't know what you mean when you say neither of your packs are worthy to walk the Camino. Are they too large? Are they broken? You do not need a high tech, latest greatest one to walk it, and you do not need to fill it all the way. I have seen many a pilgrim walk the entire Camino with a cheap, frameless backpack, and cotton clothing, blue jeans, running shoes, etc. All manner of clothing and equipment. Walking the Camino is not backpacking. Unfortunately sometimes threads about equipment on here, or on youtube videos discuss only the expensive brands. I have one pack I bought for 30 euro I walked two Caminos with and my other pack I used to walk it I bought on sale for about 75 euros.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@RJM
I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that I am looking for 'expensive' stuff; simply pointed out that whatever the cost for me to get outfitted will be (IMHO, like it or not) comes out from 'family budget' (although obviously that would apply to pretty much everyone!)
I have 2 pairs of Darn Toughs, 4 pairs of Ultimates - all 6 Merino Wool Mid-weight and another 4 of Timberlands (probably can use as the 2nd sock\liner)
I might consider some boxer-type underwear
Should take stock of what I have T-shirts wise - I am quite positive that all are cotton, so will need some more
My fave hiking pants with zip-offs are getting totally and completely beat as I first took them to Machu Picchu in 2011 and have been using them heavily since then; so might have to get another pair or more likely 2
Not sure about 'rain gear' - some people talk about ponchos (which I have couple of rather flimsy & cheap probably not the 'best') but then comments about the wind getting under... so some consideration to a jacket of a sort. I figure - no 'rain' pants - just do with hike pants above
Backpacks - both of mine are 'day packs'. I have an Outdoor Products Mist 13L with 2L Camel if I chose to use it (thinking about that as well... may consider not to deal with Camels regardless of which bag I come to Camino with and do bottles) . Done wonderfully on day-hikes for just couple of hours; sort of 'as intended'.
From all the reviews I saw in it - it is not waterproof (a substantial concern for me..should it be? 😟 ) and at 13L - seems a bit small to go on a month-long hike - some folks here may think otherwise.... I simply do not know
My other pack... heck I don't even know WHO makes them, what the brand is and how big/small it is L-wise
I bought it eons ago when I was a Youth Group leader at my then-church and we were all getting into this hiking\camping mind set. I think the price was right and I really didnt think too much of any future pros and cons
it has a main compartment roughly 15x7x7 (inches) and 3 more smaller 'pockets all around it.
there is no back support and there straps are not padded - there are also no compression, hip or chest straps. there are no zippers - only clasps and draw-string.
The 'coolest' feature (that most likely appealed to me when i bought it) is that it converts into a stool; so one can nicely take a seat (or even use it for a little table of a sort)
see below

thats the one that went to MP with me but I had full Sherpa support and short of 2-3 t-shirts, 2 bottles of eater and a light summer jacket - nothing else was in it (well.. perhaps couple of snacks). So...'day pack'..

thus i am thinking new bag. At least waterproof, better padding, maybe side pockets on hip straps... not sure? - 30L? - BTW I am 5'9" currently hovering about 200 lbs but working towards dropping some of this weight (ultimate goal would be 170, but I will take even 180)
Ospreys?

In my opinion you need a lighter sleeping bag. They are more expensive but I've heard they are worth their weight in gold, especially if you will still potentially do a cooler month. It's the mountains so a 50 degree night is going to feel so much cooler even your temp during walking reaches 70.

I'm planning for late May/June or September because I'm extremely fair and can still burn wearing 100 SPf sunscreen.

I also think you need a lighter weight pack. I started training with a Kelty Coyote, 55L capacity. It was too heavy. It had an internal frame that supported me while training but it was far too heavy once I had it packed for the Camino. I bought the women's REI 38L daypack because unlike the "better" brand names hurt my back or the straps rubbed me in weird ways almost immediately after putting them on and adjusting them. It wasn't cheap but it felt right.

Also waterproofing is important. Since you need the cooler temps, those times tend to rain more and with cooler temps you need more layers because what is necessary in the morning is not needed after the sun is up. Or it could be windy that day, adding windchill factor in. The packs you have don't appear to have the capacity to cover it. And a poncho is needed even with a raincover for the pack unless you like getting wet.

Thanks @lizlane
Well... I guess that I will start looking into a lighter sleeping bag - the majority of opinions clearly indicate that.
as to backpacks - yes i definitely want the waterproof! and will be eyeing different options\features
Interestingly enough my boss (who is a very active hiker) told me that he walks with 80L (he packs everything but kitchen sink :) ) and suggested that there should be no problem getting a larger bag:
  • just because its larger does not mean you HAVE to pack it to the hilt but the extra room is there if you need it
  • should not make too much difference as long as the load is distributed properly
thoughts?

I can probably start training with my 13L Mist the moment the trails become reasonably usable and take it from there. Definitely a trip to REI so can get properly measured...that will dictate the outcome...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@RJM
I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that I am looking for 'expensive' stuff; simply pointed out that whatever the cost for me to get outfitted will be (IMHO, like it or not) comes out from 'family budget' (although obviously that would apply to pretty much everyone!)
I have 2 pairs of Darn Toughs, 4 pairs of Ultimates - all 6 Merino Wool Mid-weight and another 4 of Timberlands (probably can use as the 2nd sock\liner)
I might consider some boxer-type underwear
Should take stock of what I have T-shirts wise - I am quite positive that all are cotton, so will need some more
My fave hiking pants with zip-offs are getting totally and completely beat as I first took them to Machu Picchu in 2011 and have been using them heavily since then; so might have to get another pair or more likely 2
Not sure about 'rain gear' - some people talk about ponchos (which I have couple of rather flimsy & cheap probably not the 'best') but then comments about the wind getting under... so some consideration to a jacket of a sort. I figure - no 'rain' pants - just do with hike pants above
Backpacks - both of mine are 'day packs'. I have an Outdoor Products Mist 13L with 2L Camel if I chose to use it (thinking about that as well... may consider not to deal with Camels regardless of which bag I come to Camino with and do bottles) . Done wonderfully on day-hikes for just couple of hours; sort of 'as intended'.
From all the reviews I saw in it - it is not waterproof (a substantial concern for me..should it be? 😟 ) and at 13L - seems a bit small to go on a month-long hike - some folks here may think otherwise.... I simply do not know
My other pack... heck I don't even know WHO makes them, what the brand is and how big/small it is L-wise
I bought it eons ago when I was a Youth Group leader at my then-church and we were all getting into this hiking\camping mind set. I think the price was right and I really didnt think too much of any future pros and cons
it has a main compartment roughly 15x7x7 (inches) and 3 more smaller 'pockets all around it.
there is no back support and there straps are not padded - there are also no compression, hip or chest straps. there are no zippers - only clasps and draw-string.
The 'coolest' feature (that most likely appealed to me when i bought it) is that it converts into a stool; so one can nicely take a seat (or even use it for a little table of a sort)
see below
View attachment 52853

View attachment 52854

thats the one that went to MP with me but I had full Sherpa support and short of 2-3 t-shirts, 2 bottles of eater and a light summer jacket - nothing else was in it (well.. perhaps couple of snacks). So...'day pack'..

thus i am thinking new bag. At least waterproof, better padding, maybe side pockets on hip straps... not sure? - 30L? - BTW I am 5'9" currently hovering about 200 lbs but working towards dropping some of this weight (ultimate goal would be 170, but I will take even 180)
Ospreys?
Make a trip to walmart. Get some synthetic tech boxer briefs and t-shirts. They are not expensive at either store and pretty hard to beat for wearing while walking the Camino. Same with the synthetic socks they sell. Made for running, walking and general sports activities. As with the underwear and shirts, light and dry quickly. Go to the camping section and get whatever backpack they have between 35-50 L in size. It will work just fine. Go to the rain gear section. They have a really good inexpensive brand called frogg toggs. The poncho is big enough to cover you and your pack. It is also very light and packable. If you want rain pants frogg toggs makes those as well.
As far as waterproofing, do not depend on the bag to be waterproof, but what you line it to be to be waterproof. Get a heavy duty trash bin bag slightly larger than the pack interior and use that. Put all your stuff in it if even a hint of rain on the Camino. Works quite well. You can also find all that stuff on amazon as well, inexpensive and free shipping.
As far as water bottles, I have always just bought two 500 ml waters or coke's when I get to the Camino, and reuse them all the way to Santiago. Really no need for anything else.

@RJM
WOW!!! OK - that is quite an AWESOME advise!!! Considering that Walmart is like 3 miles away from my home I do believe a trip is warranted perhaps a bit closer to the date, but definitely will go
(and I LOVE the bit about trash bag - how simple and yet effective!!! 👍)
Thanks again 👋

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LOL
I guess I have to start thinking in those terms - absolutely everything can become part of the training
Obviously i did not read @Vacajoe response until now; but even if i did - I had errands to run to couple of other stores in the immediate vicinity and what i had to bring home - would not work out well in terms of carrying it, so I drove. (that said I am now thinking on how to do more walking at any given time)
Meanwhile - in this particular Walmart - no frogg trogg but a 55L OzarkTrails caught my eye....
I am learning 😀

55L seems huge, but each walker is different. As for practicing, my wife and I started to do it everywhere (shopping, church, movie theater, friends’ houses) and it not only prepared us for the daily journey of the Camino, we had the positive side benefits of weight loss and spending a lot of time together! Plus you rediscover your community when traveling at 2.5mph.

Thanks @RJM

And please remember,,, your budget and take out what you spend at home on food etc at that time and take out of your costs!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Marty is correct: realize that just when you are at home, you are spending money on food, entertainment, utilities, etc. Once you factor that in, daily life on the Camino isn’t that much added cost. If you budget $3200 for a 41 day trip, you WILL return with either a pocketful of cash or you’ll be extremely well-rested from all the Paradors and Casa Rurals you stayed in along the route....

Once you factor that in, daily life on the Camino isn’t that much added cost. If you budget $3200 for a 41 day trip, you WILL return with either a pocketful of cash or you’ll be extremely well-rested from all the Paradors and Casa Rurals you stayed in along the route....
Agreed. Chances are the entertainment and such will probably go down if I am away and food costs will diminish. As I stated, I am more than positive it is a complete overkill, but if I DO budget 40 Euros\day - then
  • The 'budget' is there in case of any unforeseen situation (which would include a possibility of staying in more expensive places)
    • I am still a bit uneasy of how big 'the crowd' may be on the Camino
  • Prices overall most likely will go up in 2 years (seems everything is just keeps on climbing that way)
    • again - Holy Year and I am just going by the "supply & demand" thought
  • if I DO come home with pocketful of cash - trust you me there shall be no tears on my part
And it is 'only a budget'. Surely adjustments will be made in many variations as the day will get closer.

55L seems huge, but each walker is different. As for practicing, my wife and I started to do it everywhere (shopping, church, movie theater, friends’ houses) and it not only prepared us for the daily journey of the Camino, we had the positive side benefits of weight loss and spending a lot of time together! Plus you rediscover your community when traveling at 2.5mph.
Once more - many words of wisdom! To be fair - (and I know you'll probably say something about that the weather on Camino does its own thing :)) I am waiting for the cold and icky winter to pass so I can start doing more outings (actually I have one 'scheduled' for the end of the month.... and I did squeeze in some trails during my vacation last month in VA Beach). My thought was to do 'more walking' but your suggestion definitely takes to to a new level!

in re: backpack...but it was 'SOOOO CUTE'....:rolleyes: - 3 separate compartments, top can be fully detached of a day-walker pack if need be, rain fly included, nylon inner liner with strings...
I plan to stop at REI and get properly measured; probably within the upcoming month. Then I will start playing with various packs. I hear everything you are saying...I am just not completely sure which way I want to go (that bit that my boss told me about having a larger pack just don't fill it all the way...something about it makes me think...) If anything - I am "getting" the range 35L-50\55L... no true decisions yet

2.5 MPH?! I guess I have to learn to slow down. My 'habit' (if you will) is to walk 'The Stonewall Way' (and I believe some Infantry Vets are probably familiar with the concept even if they don't refer to it by the same name) - walk 50 mins\rest 10 and I strive to put in 3 miles into those 50 mins (which puts me at about 3.6 MPH). Granted, this is a totally different 'hike' then the ones I am used to so obviously if I need to take it slower I will...

thanks once more

Acknowledging this reality, I am NOT planning to walk a Camino that year. Instead, I plan to volunteer to work another month at the Pilgrim Office. Perhaps I will split my two months and return home for a few months in-between.

I note, primarily for Catholics, that the plenary indulgence awarded by the Pope this year requires visiting the Cathedral, venerating Santiago’s relics, and performing the customary sacramental activities. It DOES NOT require that you arrive at Santiago from a pilgrimage. That said, most folks seeking the indulgence will naturally combine the activities. I understand this.

I will be walking my 7th Camino this year, and hopefully my 8th next year. In 2021, the office will need as many volunteers as they can get. So, as a way of giving back to the Camino, I will exchange my Camino for helping others.

Plus, this avoids all the drama that this traffic volume will likely bring to the Camino. If you think the current ‘bed race’ is fun, you will LOVE “Peak Pilgrim...” Yikes!

Hope this helps.
Do you think the new VISA rules for USA's entrance to Europe will curb the number of pilgrims during the 2021 Holy Year?:)👣

€46,-
No, I do not. For about 15 years, visitors to the US from visa waiver countries, mostly in Europe, have had to do the exact same thing to obtain an electronic authorization to travel to the US. This is called ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

Simply put, the EU has finally reciprocated. The stated reason is to obtain advance information about intending visitors to the EU countries who do not require visas. They have also admitted that it DOES raise money. Doh! That’s what governments do, isn’t it?

Practically speaking, this allows the border control officials in the EU to know in advance who is coming. This allows them to exercise due diligence and review available records to determine who should be permitted to travel to Europe without needing a formal, traditional visa. IMHO, this is a net good thing for everyone.

There will be a very short “blip” while US persons sort this out. Experienced travelers, who regularly use the internet, will not have any problem with this.

I expect airlines to ask you for your ETIAS approval code when you try to book a flight. Without one, you will likely not be permitted to book the flights. I also think they will offer a link from their reservation pages to the ETIAS website so you can jump over and take care of this.

I am not concerned...

Hope this helps.

2021 is my 50th Birthday year, so what better way to celebrate than to join the Camino once more! At the moment, I am deciding which route to take. We will have to go during the school summer holidays and yes we would love to get there for the 25th July - before you say it, I am aware what a logistical nightmare this will be! We also have to decide whether to walk or cycle - cycling I think would give us more options for accommodation including campsites. Is anyone else out there brave enough thinking of getting to Compostela on St James' Day?!

If this becomes your plan, make hotel reservations - like YESTERDAY! People literally sleep in the parks, and wherever they can find a place every 25 July. Santiago is literally full to the gills.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agreed. Chances are the entertainment and such will probably go down if I am away and food costs will diminish. As I stated, I am more than positive it is a complete overkill, but if I DO budget 40 Euros\day - then
  • The 'budget' is there in case of any unforeseen situation (which would include a possibility of staying in more expensive places)
    • I am still a bit uneasy of how big 'the crowd' may be on the Camino
  • Prices overall most likely will go up in 2 years (seems everything is just keeps on climbing that way)
    • again - Holy Year and I am just going by the "supply & demand" thought
  • if I DO come home with pocketful of cash - trust you me there shall be no tears on my part
And it is 'only a budget'. Surely adjustments will be made in many variations as the day will get closer.

Once more - many words of wisdom! To be fair - (and I know you'll probably say something about that the weather on Camino does its own thing :)) I am waiting for the cold and icky winter to pass so I can start doing more outings (actually I have one 'scheduled' for the end of the month.... and I did squeeze in some trails during my vacation last month in VA Beach). My thought was to do 'more walking' but your suggestion definitely takes to to a new level!

in re: backpack...but it was 'SOOOO CUTE'....:rolleyes: - 3 separate compartments, top can be fully detached of a day-walker pack if need be, rain fly included, nylon inner liner with strings...
I plan to stop at REI and get properly measured; probably within the upcoming month. Then I will start playing with various packs. I hear everything you are saying...I am just not completely sure which way I want to go (that bit that my boss told me about having a larger pack just don't fill it all the way...something about it makes me think...) If anything - I am "getting" the range 35L-50\55L... no true decisions yet

2.5 MPH?! I guess I have to learn to slow down. My 'habit' (if you will) is to walk 'The Stonewall Way' (and I believe some Infantry Vets are probably familiar with the concept even if they don't refer to it by the same name) - walk 50 mins\rest 10 and I strive to put in 3 miles into those 50 mins (which puts me at about 3.6 MPH). Granted, this is a totally different 'hike' then the ones I am used to so obviously if I need to take it slower I will...

thanks once more
@CWBuff
A few small remarks: If you decide to walk in the fall, the weather on your camino will probably be dryer than in the spring. I have walked various routes in the fall of 2015, 2016 and 2017 - going again this year. You will likely have cool, dry weather, with few rainy days, but some frost in the mornings if you walk into November. If you are planning for the fall of 2021, there is no urgent reason to walk the Frances, and other routes are available. You will have up to 650,000 reasons to choose one which is not so busy. Maybe forget the movie and look into an alternative way to get to Santiago. For sure get a lighter sleeping bag. You don't need the expense of down and a lightweight bag can be purchased at a reasonable cost: mine was less than a hundred dollars for a 650 g. (about a pound and a half) bag. You might consider spreading out the cost and planning ahead by looking at what is available at Walmart and getting a few items gradually. This is exciting and fun. It is a great idea to get yourself measured for a pack at REI. This and your footwear will be your biggest gear expenses and items that you should not skimp on. When you buy a backpack, make sure that the measurements are such that you can take it on the plane with you. A pack which is bigger than you need and has to be checked is probably not a bargain. You don't want to arrive at your starting point minus all your gear- this does happen. And of course consult our resident expert on all things gear related, @davebugg , if you need professional advice, or have a look at his postings on gear. Buen camino, whenever and however your walk.

How soon should reservations be made for lodging on the Camino Frances in 2021? Is it possible to make reservations this far in advance? My sister and I plan to walk then. Her 70th and my 75th. We are thinking April to June or mid August to mid October. We haven't decided our starting point yet.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.