• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping to start the French Way 1 April 2022

lht645

Time of past OR future Camino
First post as I just joined, planning on walking the French Way beginning on April 1st 2022 from St. Jean. I'm 59 and fit (for my age), I've done a bunch or day & weekend hiking, no long trails. taking the Camino with my friends Son who just graduated college. I'm hoping April will be a sweet spot between foul weather & crowds, probably not a new concept. I hope to do a little browsing before asking a bunch of questions but they'll be coming. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola @lht645 A most prophetic date to start ones camino.
But to be serious I do hope that by that date enough pilgrims (and French/Spanish citizens) will have had their two COVID-19 vaccinations to allow the walking to start enmass again.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi lht646

My first Camino (Frances) was in April. Sun, rain, wind, snow. All the weather. Was great!

Normally not that many pilgrims in April (especially in comparison to May) which is good as little need to worry about booking ahead / turning up at a town to find all the beds have 'gone'. Might be busier in 2022, given its basically been two years since pilgrims have walked Frances proper.

General level of fitness and hiking experience is good, but nothing will prepare your body for all the miles. Listen to your body. Rest when you need to rest, do short walks if you need to etc. Take your time.

Buen Camino!

Yep, all kinds of weather during those months, so good to be prepared. I got caught in a snow storm in Fromista in April and walked that long stretch after Burgos in cold rain and sleet, but also experienced beautiful days filled with spring flowers and baby farm animals! Go for it and enjoy. Good advice from Dan to listen to your body, not your expecations...ultreia!
Buen camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First post as I just joined, planning on walking the French Way beginning on April 1st 2022 from St. Jean. I'm 59 and fit (for my age), I've done a bunch or day & weekend hiking, no long trails. taking the Camino with my friends Son who just graduated college. I'm hoping April will be a sweet spot between foul weather & crowds, probably not a new concept. I hope to do a little browsing before asking a bunch of questions but they'll be coming. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of.
Napoleon route may not be open that early.

I started April 1, 2013. Napolean closed due to deaths in Snow. 24" snow the next morning in Roncesvalles. April/May is fertilizer( Manure) time for the fields. Some cold rain and very windy on the meseta. Snow on Cruz de Ferro. All and all, Best trip of my life. Go Slow! It's a Journey not a race.
I am starting a Slow Camino from SJPP also on April 1, 2022.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, My wife and I did our first Camino when I was 59 in April. I think it’s the best month for me to do the Camino. Don’t have to worry being too hot or crowded but still green . I have done it 3 times and hope to do it again possibly April 2022. You will love it. Just don’t pack too much stuff, you can always pick up stuff while traveling and to look after your feet

Attachments

• 2FE1FE39-572C-488B-97AE-041F6ABD8C0D.jpeg
    2FE1FE39-572C-488B-97AE-041F6ABD8C0D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Welcome to the club. My second Camino was in April/May 2016. It was a little chillier than expected and wetter too. Walking in the rain was grand just mind the mud. More Europeans, Spaniards, a younger crowd during this time. I guess because of Spring Break/Gap years etc at least that was my experience. I was 56 at the time and often called MaMa, affectionately. ☺️ I’m not a party girl so I didn’t fit in there. The landscape vibrant and rich in color. Oh, 2022 will also be a Holy Year so expect many pilgrims. I’m so excited for you. 💃🏻
Buen Camino!
49973BFD-EC09-4F23-B47D-C4B7DF2F8176.jpeg8EF024D1-5371-45ED-8C5B-A478BB7D4067.jpegA62409DA-2A7D-4C98-A307-4CF7B173E94C.jpeg696E5BDE-85D6-4224-9AEF-EF92A5D6E33C.jpegE5EBFD5C-A18B-4307-A74F-2FF05CAB9B1E.jpeg

My walking partner and I will be starting the Camino Frances on April 18th, 2022. We regular walk the Camino during April and May, but the earlier you go, the more rain and flooding you will likely encounter. We started our last Camino on April 16th and had 2 straight weeks of rain and flooding. The time before that we only had 3 days of rain on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a good time to start so you'll be done before the summer heat. BUT April could have a bit of snow and cold nights. I brought gaiters and some winter layers, and mailed them home from Pamplona. There had been a snow storm in the Pyrenees but it was melted by the time I arrived

I started my first Camino Frances 5 May 2017. The weather was perfect pretty much all the way with only two days of rain out of 46 days total. It’s hard to be sure I guess and April no doubt is cooler and wetter. Still, that wouldn’t stop me from going. You’ll get bad days no doubt but you’ll enjoy it. As for fitness, start slow, work towards moderate and by the end you’ll be flying. I was older than you and I was fine after day two. Besides, you’ll meet plenty of pilgrims en route who’ll give you good advice and guidance, especially those who have done it two, three, four and more times. My advice: don’t stress. Be flexible, improvise, enjoy the adventure and you can’t go wrong.

I’ll be joining the Class of Spring ‘22 on the CF with a planned departure from SJPdP on Fri 15/4. I chose a mid-April start to avoid some of the April showers and arrive in SdC before the June beginning of the summer season with all of its crowds. My original plans for a fall ‘21 camino were delayed by an uncooperative back, but now that it’s been repaired (Ihope!), I‘m looking forward to a spring adventure. Preparation for this journey began in Spring of ‘20, and thanks to the good advice / experience in these forums, I’m confident that I’m as ready as I’m going to be. Looking forward to meeting others with the same dream. Buen Camino all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ll be joining the Class of Spring ‘22 on the CF with a planned departure from SJPdP on Fri 15/4. I chose a mid-April start to avoid some of the April showers and arrive in SdC before the June beginning of the summer season with all of its crowds. My original plans for a fall ‘21 camino were delayed by an uncooperative back, but now that it’s been repaired (Ihope!), I‘m looking forward to a spring adventure. Preparation for this journey began in Spring of ‘20, and thanks to the good advice / experience in these forums, I’m confident that I’m as ready as I’m going to be. Looking forward to meeting others with the same dream. Buen Camino all!
I have been considering that same time period but starting SJPdP on the April 19 just after Easter I am 68 currently averaging 15klms a day walking hiking as I have two very active dogs (will sure miss them on the Camino)

I have been considering that same time period but starting SJPdP on the April 19 just after Easter I am 68 currently averaging 15klms a day walking hiking as I have two very active dogs (will sure miss them on the Camino)
When checking the calendar, I noticed the Easter date and thought it might be interesting to be in Spain, on a historically religious based route with all of its cathedrals, for an important holiday of that religion. I also wanted to get out of the U.S. Before the Easter weekend traffic jams. Like you, Mush1, I’m sure my mutt will miss me….but that’s nothing that a few treats won’t cure upon my arrival back home.

This adventure is a 70th BD present to myself - I hope to meet you on the Camino!

Too early?
Hola - as has been posted the Napoleon route can still be closed in April. I had intended to walk this way back in May 2017, but the weather was totally unsuitable - strong winds (up to 80km per hour); temperatures down to 6-8 degrees C and rain/sleet/snow. I ended up taking the lower Valcarlos Route. I should point out that it can (and does) snow in the Pyrenees at any time of the year so be prepared to change. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
jrewins: Please let c cleary know about your April 15th plans. See this posting about efforts to update the April 2022 calendar. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.