• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotels in May and June

Flatcat

Ive used that Site Godesalco to stage out our walk, we will be doing it a little faster 26 days, as we have time issues!
I'm the type of person that wants to book ahead as well wants to stay in hotels or hostels.
I want to able to lock our gear up in our room when we go out as well as a private shower.

I know our stop points, now if I reserve in advance, would you recommend tripadvisor for booking?

I don't know if I want to chance finding a hotel on the day as I think May is somewhat busier month?
Thx
Clint

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tripadvisor is not useless--- some of the reviews can be helpful. However, I found that, with the single exception of the national holiday long weekend in October (the Easter weekend, which is March 31 in 2013, is also busy), I was almost always able to find non-albergue accommodation by just walking into the pueblo. From time to time, I would ask the innkeeper to call ahead for me to book a room at my next stop.

May is not a busy month, so I would suggest that, with the possible exception of your first night, you leave your booking until you are on the Camino, and only book a day at a time, as I described above. Even with a tight timetable (and I think that 26 days is going to be really difficult), you do not want to be boxed in and not have fleixiblity from the vagaries of weather, blisters and just wanting to stop and enjoy a day.

Flatcat said:
Ive used that Site Godesalco to stage out our walk, we will be doing it a little faster 26 days, as we have time issues!
Where are you starting from? Rather than racing because you have time issues, why not start closer to SDC and let the journey unfold at its own pace.

It's also wonderful to be able to spend at least a couple of days in Santiago at the end. The arrival is usually a very emotional experience and staying for a while gives you the opportunity to catch up with the people you met along the way, some of whom would have arrived a day or two before you and others who will arrive a couple of days after you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We booked our first nights using venere.com, similar to booking .com. Both are worth looking at to compare prices.
Once we were walking any booking was mostly done in the evening for next day, by mobile phone. Occasionally we could use the internet, but phoning worked for us. We had researched the places we wanted to stay before leaving home. Some came from our CJ guide, others from checking their actual contact nos on the internet (not venere's or booking's nos.) Most hotels with listings on any booking site have their own internet presence.
If you are arriving, or absolutely certain where you will be, on May Day (1st) then that is worth booking ahead although it is usually more of a problem on the coast. Note however that many hotels will not be taking bookings until into the new year.
If you cannot get to where you have booked do remember to let them know so that they can take another booking and not lose money. Many hotels/hostals grumble about 'no-shows'.
Buen Camino

Thanks for all the info, I'm trying to up our days to 30 so were not in a rush mode!
We will try to gather any info on the towns we want to stay at and list the hotels/ hostels and then
try to call the night before, like everyone is saying , we won't be bound and locked in if something changes.

We plan to stay 2 nights in Santiago as well as an extra night in Pamplona along the way.
Actually not booking ahead of time makes the planning process much easier!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back