• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How difficult are hotel rooms to get during September?

Hello All! :D

We will be traveling from St Jean leaving the last week of August and ending first week in October. We will have two small children with us and I am concerned about getting into Hotels or B&B's. We do not want to disturb other travelers in the hostels and therefore will be attempting to stay in Hotels as much as possible. Traveling agencies want us to pay $3700 per person to prebook our entire trip. However, we can't confirm where we will even be every night due to an expected slower pace.

So, that being said we are going to just go and hope to find hotels as we can. Are they difficult to find available in September?

All the best! :)
Mandy
USA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thetravelingfamily said:
Hello All! :D

We will be traveling from St Jean leaving the last week of August and ending first week in October. We will have two small children with us and I am concerned about getting into Hotels or B&B's. We do not want to disturb other travelers in the hostels and therefore will be attempting to stay in Hotels as much as possible. Traveling agencies want us to pay $3700 per person to prebook our entire trip. However, we can't confirm where we will even be every night due to an expected slower pace.

So, that being said we are going to just go and hope to find hotels as we can. Are they difficult to find available in September?

All the best! :)
Mandy
USA

Mandy,

On the Camino just as in life there are no guarantees. One can only hope and try for the best.

Finding accommodations in September will certainly be less hectic than in August, but it still will be busy.

A good solution for you to finding rooms to fit your walking schedule might be to purchase the famous guide Miam-Niam-Dodo Espagne Camino Frances 2012. Although written in French the symbols make the information easy to understand. It lists all addresses and telephone numbers for hotels, b and bs, camping grounds, restaurants, cafes, shops, banks, etc. between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Santiago.

At the end of each day on the Camino you could then choose the next day's tentative halt and call for reservations.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Finding a non-albergue accommodation is usually not too difficult even at the busy times. It can be tough at certain times but that is not the norm.
I would take the MMDD guide for Spain (careful not to order the LePuy version) and another guide such as the Brierley which list alternative accommodations and phone numbers.
Take an unlocked cell phone and buy a Spanish SIM card so you can have an inexpensive way to call ahead...either the night before or on the same day while walking and you can judge the stopping point.
You will also find that there will be private albergues that will take reservations and have private rooms for 2 to 4 people.
I would think that you should not worry too much about it and just prepare to do some advance reserving.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most of the time, your innkeeper will be happy to call and make a booking for you at your next expected stop. This can be an advantage as they can explain to the next stop what your requirements would be, and your expected arrival time. Note that, unlike some countries, the Spanish are fond of children and will likely do their best to see your needs accommodated.

Hi Mandy! Bear in mind that the worst that can happen is that you have to get a taxi to somewhere. They can drop you back on the Camino the next morning. I think you'll easily find hostal accommodation in September, especially in any significant town.

Buen Camino!

I just finished walking from Logrono to Santiago late in June and stayed in casa rurales, hostels, hotels and augberges and never had a problem with finding a roof over my head without a reservation. I walked from St. Jean to Logrono last September and can say exactly the same about finding places to stay and there were less people walking that time of year. I was travelling solo and spent from 5 - 8 Euros/night in the aubergue, 30 Euros/night in a casa rurale and 50 Euros/night for in a hotel in Burgos and only spend a total of 400 Euros for my lodging. 3700 USD is a rip-off. I met another American who was doing the final 100 kms and she had used a booking agency to find a place in Palas de Rei and it was so far off the route it required a 20 Euro taxi ride to find the Camino. Have faith and do it on your own!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow!! All wonderful information. Thank you! We are slowly letting go of the control and preparing to "Wing it"! I am confident we will not be left outside. THanks again for great advice!

Mandy :D

Thetravelingfamily said:
We will be traveling from St Jean leaving the last week of August and ending first week in October. We will have two small children with us and I am concerned about getting into Hotels or B&B's.
The latter should not be of undue concern, unless you happen to encounter a local fiesta or other popular event in a village or town where you intend to spend the night :!: . Ask your hosts, wherever you are staying, to recommend/suggest/book accommodation where you expect to be at the end of your coming day's walk. They are used to answering questions and making proposals according to your necessities. :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back