• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How I found love on the camino

Pilgrim_95

Young Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
I was literally sad and lonely walking uphill from Saint Jean when I saw a young redhead around 30m ahead of me with sunflower tattoos on her ankles. I took a picture of her and sent it to my friends trying to convince them to come to join me on that unwanted journey. I agree.... a creepy move... but she knows... as we are moving in together in seven weeks.

That event took place eleven months ago when I was walking my third Camino as a freshly 21 years old college student. I originally did not plan to do it but my "friend" convinced me and after a tough year and some unbelievable events in my personal life, I needed to be somewhere else for a while.

Unexpectedly, the original fellowship of three ended up being a solo ride after my "it is complicated" nightmare did not pass some exams and the author of this whole Camino idea welched on the trip a day before the flight from Prague with a text saying: "Sorry, can't make it." So there I was heading to Spain not even knowing if I my next Camino adventure will happen on the Camino Norte or Frances. I just let the magical forces of improbable events lead my destiny.

We are too close. We are walking too slowly. This is awkward. I need to say something. "Hey... I am Albert, where are you from?" I asked the ginger whose legs were stored as a digital memory in my phone ten minutes ago. "Hey, I am Pippa, I am from Reading, England, what about you?". The hill was really steep so it took me a few seconds to reply: "The Czech Republic, I live in the medieval city where the original Budweiser beer is made." I actually prepared that line on the plane to Biarritz.

The first stage to Roncesvalles is considered the most physically demanding but did not feel like that at all as I was engaged in a conversation with my new companion discussing quotes from The Lord of the Rings, personal lives and my childhood "traumas" when I was the only kid going to the aquaristics/pet club and had to clean the guinea pig cage all the time for unknown reasons.

Days were passing and we became total buddies. Drinking Cuba libre from the same glass, popping blisters, sharing tuna with cats while snacking in the shadows, watching her as she is throwing up after a brutal food poising while carrying her backpack. The classical daily moments all pilgrims know... and then we just fell in love. Enjoying every moment of the Camino, meeting great people, even convincing our new lovely Japanese friends Takuma and Du that Bacardi is actually from the Santiago we are heading to. It was the best time of our lives...

She started to cry. I felt that tears are also falling from my eyes. It was the last night before our flights back. We were spooning. The summer love was about to end. Neither of us wanted that but the future looked scary and complicated. Eventually, we listened to our hearts... We listened to the Camino.

We started to visit each other every other month. We lived for those few days which were always the best yet painful at the same time. After Christmas, it started to be unbearable and we needed a plan. So, I dropped out of university, took a programming job and applied to a software engineering course in Edinburgh. My dear Pippa applied for Spanish - French linguistic program and we got in. We saw each other few days ago and now we just have to wait once more until we are finally reunited. Forever

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ahh! Lovely story, so romantic! I was hoping this might happen for my daughter when we walked last year but all we met were women and more women! Which was great fun, but no romance unfortunatly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lovely story good luck in life.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone else have similar experiences - so nice to read positive stuff. I discovered how much I was loved and loved my life at home - so yes I did find (refind) it on the Camino too!

Thank you for all the lovely comments :) Just purchased my flight tickets to Edinburgh! Camino seems to be an ideal place to find a partner as you know you have at least one thing in common :) Being pilgrims

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back