• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many sellos per day

Ladybird1093

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I will be walking the French Way from Burgos this September. I ordered my credential from Ivar and on too of each page it says that 2 sellos per day are required to receive a Compostela. I've heard, also on this forum that one sello is fine, 2 are required only between Sarria and Santiago. How does that work? Also, if i am walking more than last 100 km, do i still have to follow the 2 sellos per day rule beginning in Sarria? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pilgrim office only insist on 2 sellos per day for the final 100km to receive a Compostela. What you do before that is up to you. Some people have received Compostelas with only one sello per day after walking a long distance but why gamble on that when the pilgrim office rules are explicit on the subject? It is not hard to find two sellos per day in the final stages.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The only sellos that matter to earn a Compostela are those in the last 100 km into Santiago, when you need two per day, regardless of where you started the Camino. (Yes, we know that some of the volunteers use their discretion and issue Compostela to pilgrims who walked a long distance but didn't collect the required two sellos in the last 100 km, but let's make it easy on those volunteers and follow the rules)
The rest are nice reminders of your Camino.

Read the requirements at this link:

Last edited:
Also, if you are staying in non-private pilgrim albergues (i.e. municipales and paroquiales), they will want you to show that you are a bona fide pilgrim so will check your credencial to make sure you have walked from your previous stopping place and will look for a stamp from the last albergue you stayed at. To be 100% certain of getting a compostela, you need 2 stamps a day for the last 100km.

I use the Credencial as one of my best momentos from a Camino. Therefore, typically, I might collect 3-4 sellos a day. As I sit and reflect back on my Caminos, the stamps in my Credencial are a great reminder of the wonderful, cafés, bars, restaurants, albergues, churches and other sites that were all part of My Way. Consequently, particularly on a longer Camino, I will have a second passport with me for when the first one is filled. In any case, collecting two sellos per day is quite easy. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think there is conflicting information on this. The instructions on the Credencial itself say "si sólo realizas los últimos 100 km (a pie, caballo) [...] deberás sellar la credencial dos veces cada día". In my opinion this means that if you walk longer one stamp a day is enough, also from Sarria. This is confirmed by my experience: my partner and I walked CF from Burgos and we arrived two days ago. We only collected one stamp a day, also in the last stages. My partner got his Compostela without any discussion on number of stamps, he was just asked "did you walk all the way?" and replied "yes". I did not ask for a Compostela, I am a minimalist and try not to collect a lot of stuff, my Credencial, a few pictures on my phone and a lot of memories in my head are my best Camino souvenirs.

I think there is conflicting information on this. The instructions on the Credencial itself say "si sólo realizas los últimos 100 km (a pie, caballo) [...] deberás sellar la credencial dos veces cada día". In my opinion this means that if you walk longer one stamp a day is enough, also from Sarria. This is confirmed by my experience: my partner and I walked CF from Burgos and we arrived two days ago. We only collected one stamp a day, also in the last stages. My partner got his Compostela without any discussion on number of stamps, he was just asked "did you walk all the way?" and replied "yes". I did not ask for a Compostela, I am a minimalist and try not to collect a lot of stuff, my Credencial, a few pictures on my phone and a lot of memories in my head are my best Camino souvenirs.
As I said above the pilgrim office volunteers can use their discretion, but if you don't have two stamps per day for the last 100 km they can deny you a Compostela.

This is what the pilgrim office website says:

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Your partner benefitted from the discretion of the volunteer in the pilgrim reception, which is not guaranteed. The clear instructions are printed on the (cathedral-issue) credencial.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You were lucky. Others have been refused a Compostela because they didn't have 2 stamps in the last 100km.

As many as you heart desires per day - if need be buy 2nd and maybe even 3rd Credenciale :)
I've met people that were actually 'hunting' certain sellos and I have to admit - if I know before-hand about some of them I'd probably did the same (as it was I paid special attention to Pilgrims office in SJPdP, Burgos, Leon & Astorga cathedrals and the 100km one)
Since the requirement IS 2\day for the last 100km - just be sure you got that covered. It is not a huge science if you think about it - you get one at your albergue and that leaves you with one more throughout the whole day.... and lots of places to get it... I guess its just 'to get into the habit of doing so' (i.e. do not foget) but thats about it - no stress over it
Good Luck and Buen Camino

There may be conflicting information, and different things printed on different credentials. The credential I just received today says "You must obtain at least one sello every day, dated to validate your journey. Those on foot, horseback or wheelchairs must collect two sellos per day during the last 100 km; cyclists two per day during the last 200 km."

No one is denying that some people, including some volunteers at the pilgrim office share your opinion. The question is, do you want to send someone to the office, having walked for week after week just collecting one stamp, trusting what you wrote above, only to find that the particular volunteer they end up in front of doesn't share your opinion and they are refused a Compostela? It has happened to pilgrims who have reported the experience in these forums. It may not happen often, but it does. Is it something you want to advise a pilgrim, for whom the Compostela may be very important, to risk?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There may be conflicting information, and different things printed on different credentials. The credential I just received today says "You must obtain at least one sello every day, dated to validate your journey. Those on foot, horseback or wheelchairs must collect two sellos per day during the last 100 km; cyclists two per day during the last 200 km."

No one is denying that some people, including some volunteers at the pilgrim office share your opinion. The question is, do you want to send someone to the office, having walked for week after week just collecting one stamp, trusting what you wrote above, only to find that the particular volunteer they end up in front of doesn't share your opinion and they are refused a Compostela? It has happened to pilgrims who have reported the experience in these forums. It may not happen often, but it does. Is it something you want to advise a pilgrim, for whom the Compostela may be very important, to risk?
When I started as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office, last year I was fully instructed by a professional employee and second thing to be told was that the pilgrim has to show 2 stamps a day at the credential beginning at 100 km from Santiago by foot , on horseback or wheelchair or 200 kms by bike.

The first thing by the way was where the coffee machine is located.

A friend of mine from Germany worked 8 month at the Pilgrims Office as a trainee for his university study Spanish and Portuguese and told me there appeared an Italian guy in front of him who walked on stilts from Sarria or around and asked for a special Compostela but that was refused by the management. He wrote it as an addition at the Certificate of Distance .

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.