• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much do your feet swell?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I'm going to be doing the Camino in September, and wonder at that time of the year how likely it will be that my feet will swell. I've already bought a pair of boots that are one size bigger, but should I be getting larger boots?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
billbennettoz said:
I'm going to be doing the Camino in September, and wonder at that time of the year how likely it will be that my feet will swell. I've already bought a pair of boots that are one size bigger, but should I be getting larger boots?
I think one size bigger is fine,in the heat of September there may be slight swelling but I always take any chance along the way to remove my boots for a while-cafe-rest stops ect,or the heavenly bathing in any availability stream.
my own feet seem to spread,I started in 2009 with size 11 (46) am now a size 12 (47) if this keeps on I'm planning on a part in the Hobbit 2 film :D
Ian

sagalouts said:
I think one size bigger is fine,in the heat of September there may be slight swelling but I always take any chance along the way to remove my boots for a while-cafe-rest stops ect,or the heavenly bathing in any availability stream.
my own feet seem to spread,I started in 2009 with size 11 (46) am now a size 12 (47) if this keeps on I'm planning on a part in the Hobbit 2 film :D
Ian

Same thing with me Ian, I usually take a size 47 but for the camino I got a size 47.5 Brasher which is a wide fitting boot with a large toe box. My feet definately spread as now most of my regular shoes and boots are tight on me. Where will it stop?? :?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you gentlemen - that's funny about your feet getting more expansive! I've noticed the same. I am walking about 50-60 kms per week, and have been doing so now for about a year. I now don't fit into the boots I had a year ago.

I would suggest that you buy footwear that fits with the sock combination you use, neither larger nor smaller to accommodate foot swelling. If you use two socks, you can adjust for the swelling by changing your socks. For example, fit the footwear with liner socks and medium wool socks. Take some light wool socks, and you can use them if your feet swell. If they swell even more, lubricate your foot well, and leave the liner sock in your pack, and wear just one pair of socks. Taking footwear that is too large when your foot is "normal" risks friction for most of the day that will cause blisters. I had to buy boots in Santiago once, and the particular brand ran small, so I bought 1/2 size larger. I have a narrow foot, so I had to add a second pair of insoles. However, I can buy my usual size on the internet and almost always get a good fit. By the way, I have moderate edema in my lower extremities, so pay attention to swelling!

It's not clear whether you are concerned about your foot getting longer and broader, or the foot itself swelling because fluid is being retained. Both might happen on the Camino for different reasons.

Having boots a size or so larger than you might normally wear addresses the first issue, not necessarily the second. For that you need sufficient volume, particularly in the toe box, to accommodate any swelling. If in doubt, avoid things like the after-market in-soles that still have thick padding under the fore foot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1 to 1.5 is a must. your feet will suffer the most when you walk, all blood vessels increase volume and this is why your feet swell. Add to that the fact that you'll be wearing thick socks and insoles.

dougfitz said:
It's not clear whether you are concerned about your foot getting longer and broader, or the foot itself swelling because fluid is being retained. Both might happen on the Camino for different reasons.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if the swelling was more likely in the summer months; less likely in the colder months. And also, if it's the result of hours of walking - or other factors. I've bout Asolo boots which, with my normal sock combo, feel a little loose - but I figure that's ok. When I add insoles, they're snug.

zammy said:
Add to that the fact that you'll be wearing thick socks and insoles.

Thank you for the response. I'm a bit tentative about adding insoles to my boots - I tried it once on a long trek, the insoles pinched, and the walk was torturous. But I've added some cut-downs to a pair of Asolo boots I've just bought, and will test them out. Do you use insoles as a matter of course?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thing I would advise Bill is to get Silic 15 barrier cream. It comes in a 75gram tube, bring two. My brother brought some of this with him from Oz on the advise of his doctor who walks a lot. Even though I was sceptical at first I tried it and found it great. Rubbed it into the feet and between the toes each morning and away we went. We did not get one single blister for the whole walk. I am hopeing to get some more as he is coming to visit again in May.
Buen Camino.

wayfarer said:
One thing I would advise Bill is to get Silic 15 barrier cream. It comes in a 75gram tube, bring two. Rubbed it into the feet and between the toes each morning and away we went. We did not get one single blister for the whole walk.
Buen Camino.

Thank you for this - I will! it seems a little more elegant than Vaseline!

billbennettoz said:
wayfarer said:
One thing I would advise Bill is to get Silic 15 barrier cream. It comes in a 75gram tube, bring two. Rubbed it into the feet and between the toes each morning and away we went. We did not get one single blister for the whole walk.
Buen Camino.

Thank you for this - I will! it seems a little more elegant than Vaseline!
It definately is better than vaseline which stays sticky and messes up the inside of the socks. The Silic is dry to touch after about one minute and leaves your feet feeling silky.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmmm...interesting...
I use vaseline and yes, it is sticky but effective...
I liked that it was not pricey and readily availible on route in Spain
But hey, I am open to change!
Where do you buy Silic 15?
And what is the price for a tube?
Just wondering whether this can also be found in Spain

billbennettoz said:
zammy said:
Do you use insoles as a matter of course?

I use orthotics as a matter of course. Before I started using them I got tendonitis in my foot (but not shin). Since using them - no tendonitis. A coincidence perhaps; I don't know, but it was my physio who recommended them.

As for swelling, I normally wear 45, but need 46 for the camino.

marji said:
Hmmm...interesting...
Silic 15 is available only in Oz. It costs about $10au. Not available in Spain. Closest product in UK/Ireland is called "Gloves in a bottle" from Boots pharmacy. Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
G'day,
Silic 15 is available at ,oat Chemist Shops. Cost is $6.50 for a 75g tube. I am from Western Australia and I use it every time I go out training, and I have been walking in really hot over the top weather. Thus far no blisters. Just rub it into our foot, around the toes and also your heals. In fact anywhere you suspect a blister will form. It was recommended to me by a fellow Aussie who has complete a couple of Caminos as well as other long distance hikes. Take two tubes which should be sufficient. The beauty of the product is that it is not messy, just rubs in and disappears.

I commence my walk from SJPD early April. I have booked my tickets and am looking forward to going. How I will cope with rain or snow or whatever I do not know but I am placing my trust in the Almighty.

Cheers
Cejanus, Perth WA

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cejanus said:
I commence my walk from SJPD early April. I have booked my tickets and am looking forward to going. How I will cope with rain or snow or whatever I do not know but I am placing my trust in the Almighty.

Hi Cejanus, it's a bit off topic, but would you mind telling me what gear you're taking for possible bad weather? Thanks, bill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Gloves in a Bottle folks are very informative on the ingredients. It looks like it would work.

http://www.glovesinabottle.com/ingredients.html

The dimethicone as the second ingredient (Gloves in a Bottle does not say the percentage) will repel moisture and lubricate skin, both excellent features for preventing friction and blisters. They sell it as a skin moisturizer and barrier treatment for activities such as painting. It may work as a foot ointment. I will test it and post the results.

Thanks Cejanus, will check out for sure. good price too...

How I will cope with rain or snow or whatever I do not know but I am placing my trust in the Almighty.

Your above comment sure is a passionate way to describe Silac 15!
Buen Camino :mrgreen:

Prior to my Camino in 2011, I bought men's shoe because of the larger toe box in a size larger than mine. I outgrew these in less than 200 km and used sandals for the remainder of the way. My feet never returned to the smaller size, so I don't think it is a matter of swelling.

I find the discussion on glide interesting and will purchase some for my upcoming Camino. During my Camino, I did see people using Vaseline, but I think that would keep the heat in; therefore, I will try one of the other products mentioned in this discussion.

Not everyone will suffer from oedema on the Camino, but I suspect most people's feet will broaden and lengthen. I know mine did, and like k-fun's, they haven't returned to their previous size. Over about a decade of longer distance walking, I have moved from being comfortable in a size 42 to now needing a size 43 for short walks, and size 44 for longer walks.

The advice to buy footwear a size larger than normal should not replace getting walking footwear fitted properly by an experienced sales person where that option exists.
  • Go later in the day, and get as much time on your feet beforehand. For example, if you are driving, don't park outside the store, but give yourself a bit of a walk.
  • Take the sock combination you will be using, as well as any orthotic devices you need, and don't just rely on any socks provided by the retailer.
  • Good outdoor footwear retailers should have a walking slope to test whether your toes remain clear of the front of the toe box when going downhill - use it, and walk around the store as well. If they don't have a slope, remove the inner sole, and put your foot on it so your heel lines up with the rear of the inner sole. Stand up and you can then check how much gap you will have in front of your toes. My rule of thumb is any less than a centimetre is not enough.
  • Many outdoor retailers will replace footwear that hasn't been worn outside within a week or so of purchase (and I have been told some US retailers are even more generous). Use that time to confirm your decision.
  • Try on as many brands as possible, even if you have a brand preference. There may be sufficient difference in the lasts of different makers to make a big difference to how comfortable you will be.

dougfitz said:
The advice to buy footwear a size larger than normal should not replace getting walking footwear fitted properly by an experienced sales person where that option exists.
  • Go later in the day, and get as much time on your feet beforehand. For example, if you are driving, don't park outside the store, but give yourself a bit of a walk.
  • Take the sock combination you will be using, as well as any orthotic devices you need, and don't just rely on any socks provided by the retailer.
  • Good outdoor footwear retailers should have a walking slope to test whether your toes remain clear of the front of the toe box when going downhill - use it, and walk around the store as well. If they don't have a slope, remove the inner sole, and put your foot on it so your heel lines up with the rear of the inner sole. Stand up and you can then check how much gap you will have in front of your toes. My rule of thumb is any less than a centimetre is not enough.
  • Many outdoor retailers will replace footwear that hasn't been worn outside within a week or so of purchase (and I have been told some US retailers are even more generous). Use that time to confirm your decision.
  • Try on as many brands as possible, even if you have a brand preference. There may be sufficient difference in the lasts of different makers to make a big difference to how comfortable you will be.

Thanks Dougfitz for this comprehensive reply. All good advice - and particularly about brand preference, because we can be influenced by marketing, what others say, and our own leanings. The choice of boot is such a critical one for such a journey!

I hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT) in 2007/2008 and my feet grew a size and a half. They went from a (US) size 12.5 to 14. I did the AT over a two year period due to having to leave the trail for 300 days for a six-artery heart bypass operation. The feet seemed to grow more on the second part of the hike, which was about 1600 miles (2575 km).

On the Camino, in 2012, 500 miles (800 km), they again grew to size 15 and they have stayed there. The shoes in the photo are the shoes I threw away at the Camino's end. They were the 14's, and they were very tight. I can't explain this phenomenon. Not everyone experiences it so dramatically. My Irish aunt liked to kid me about having a "Good grip on the earth," I'm afraid she was correct.
10-24-shoes-600.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, lots of responses here and all I can add is that in my experience of walking the Camino several times and other long hikes throughout Europe and the USA is that I buy a shoe that fits my feet with the sock combination that I normally use. Any swelling has always been accounted for in how tightly I lace my boots. My feet do not grow longer (i.e., going from a size 13 to a 14) but they do swell and therefore I just don't lace up my boots as tightly and it's fine. It's really important to hike with shoes/boots that fit your feet right from the get go and my experience is that all swelling can be dealt with by adjusting how tightly I lace up the boots.

My wife and I are training for September 2013 - so far both of us are on our third pair of boots. The first pair for both of us was fit improperly - we finally found a good salesperson who knew his business so hopefully these are the final pair that we will wear. Mine are 1/2 a size larger and hers 1 size larger. She had bunion surgery and has a metal plate in the one foot - so now hers finally feel good. We bought from REI and I returned my first pair after 2 months which they took back with no complaints. In fact we just switched her backpack after buying the original one 3 months ago and again they took back no complaints. As for feet - they will expand somewhat during the day. When you get a new pair wear them the entire day and walk a lot in them. At the end of the day you will know if they are too small or too large. As hotelmedicis mentioned - how you lace your boots will also have an effect on your feet. My current pair felt a bit tight when I first walked in them but then I re-laced them a bit looser and that made a world of difference. Another note - the first pair my wife tried had a sole that was too flexible - so she switched to a pair of Vasque Breeze with a stiffer Vibram sole and those are much better.

Buen Camino

I was wondering if the swelling was more likely in the summer months; less likely in the colder months. And also said:
Definitely swell more in summer/hot weather which is one of the reasons I'm a Autumn Winter Spring pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
zakosdad said:
We bought from REI and I returned my first pair after 2 months which they took back with no complaints. In fact we just switched her backpack after buying the original one 3 months ago and again they took back no complaints.

God how I miss being a consumer in the United States of America. Best customer service I have ever encountered, bar-none.

wayfarer said:
marji said:
Hmmm...interesting...
Silic 15 is available only in Oz. It costs about $10au. Not available in Spain. Closest product in UK/Ireland is called "Gloves in a bottle" from Boots pharmacy. Hope this helps.
Hola wayfarer,
Got "Gloves in a bottle" this morning from Boots ( in your county town), rubbed it into my feet and went for a 5km walk, felt very good, looking forward to my Camino with "Gloves"
Buen Camino.
Slán go fóill.
Des :lol:

Bannerman said:
Hola wayfarer,
Got "Gloves in a bottle" this morning from Boots ( in your county town), rubbed it into my feet and went for a 5km walk, felt very good, looking forward to my Camino with "Gloves"
Buen Camino.
Slán go fóill.
Des :lol:
Glad to hear it Des, they hadn't heard of it there before I ordered it but were very helpful in ordering it. I've sent a few more people in since so they must keep it in stock now. Hope you have a great Camino when you go.
Pat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back