• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much time before, should I consult my chiropodist?

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Last year, I created a lot of callus on my feet. More callus than blisters to be very honest.

This year, I've decided to consult a good chiropodist, but she only have free time, 4 days before I start my Camiño.

Is it too late? Should I cancel the appointment?

This year, I've changed the boots (1 and 1/2 size larger), I've added some gel inserts and I've cut off almost 3kg of gear from my backpack.

So what do you think?

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola

Sounds like you have actively made some good changes based on your experience.
This will of course help you a lot.
About seeking chiropodist advice, I'd say why not?
It can't hurt, although I don't think she can do much help, this late into your walk, besides give you good advice.
And good advice we all can use.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hola

Sounds like you have actively made some good changes based on your experience.
This will of course help you a lot.
About seeking chiropodist advice, I'd say why not?
It can't hurt, although I don't think she can do much help, this late into your walk, besides give you good advice.
And good advice we all can use.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The thing is, she will take care of my feet, take all the dead skin, and if in need, remove one or more callus. My question is will it be problematic to walk only 4 days after doing this? Shouldn't my feet rest for a time before I start walking?

Off course that my first stage will not be 34km has it was last year, and that the conditions are different, but I fear that if I don't rest my feet, I could have some problems. That's why I'm asking for advice.

Best Regards
Diogo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Keep those calluses! They were my friend. I walked almost all of the Camino last fall. Before I left my podiatrist told not to mess with them. She was right. I still have them!

Keep those calluses! They were my friend. I walked almost all of the Camino last fall. Before I left my podiatrist told not to mess with them. She was right. I still have them!

It's what I'll do! After talking with some people, they gaved me the same advice.

Best Regards
Diogo

See the Chiropodist. Do what s/he advises. I have life-long problems with calluses too. They were so bad, so painful, I had to take a bus into Burgos to find a podiatrist who carved the calluses off both my heels. That cost me three days where I could not walk.

The gel insoles should help a lot. With larger boots, you can wear two pair of socks: one silk or poly liner, plus a thick pair of wool outer socks. This year, I have custom orthotic soles made by my podiatrist - foot doctor. It was expensive, but I am not taking any chances this time.

Last year, I also found a very good foot cream to help reduce the calluses. It is made in Barcelona and sold in many pharmacies. The product is called LetiXer "Q."

It is intended for skin with a tendency towards hyperkeratosis (medical word for calluses) and is for extremely dry skin areas. If you are starting without calluses, but have a tendency to "grow" them, this cream will help prevent the calluses.

I first discovered it at a pharmacy in Pamplona and used it across the rest of the Camino in Spain. It did not help reduce the calluses I already had. However, once the doctor carved the calluses off, the cream helped stop them from reforming. So, I had a carefree camino after that incident.

Each night, I massaged with this cream before going to bed and wore a cotton sock to sleep. The next morning, my feet were still very moisturized and I did not need to "grease" them again. The LetiXer "Q" dry skin cream comes in a 100ml tube. I think that is cost about Euro 12, but I could be mistaken.

Other folks swear by using basic petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to moisturize your feet after showering in the afternoon, while sleeping (wear a cotton sock to bed) and again before "booting-up" in the morning. You might try this as a less-expensive option, once you get the calluses you already have sorted professionally.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leave them, Diogo, until you get back home again.
You say you've reduced your back-pack weight by 3 kg ...... so you've plenty of space to pack a pair of roller skates
images

See the Chiropodist. Do what s/he advises. I have life-long problems with calluses too. They were so bad, so painful, I had to take a bus into Burgos to find a podiatrist who carved the calluses off both my heels. That cost me three days where I could not walk.

The gel insoles should help a lot. With larger boots, you can wear two pair of socks: one silk or poly liner, plus a thick pair of wool outer socks. This year, I have custom orthotic soles made by my podiatrist - foot doctor. It was expensive, but I am not taking any chances this time.

Last year, I also found a very good foot cream to help reduce the calluses. It is made in Barcelona and sold in many pharmacies. The product is called LetiXer "Q."

It is intended for skin with a tendency towards hyperkeratosis (medical word for calluses) and is for extremely dry skin areas. If you are starting without calluses, but have a tendency to "grow" them, this cream will help prevent the calluses.

I first discovered it at a pharmacy in Pamplona and used it across the rest of the Camino in Spain. It did not help reduce the calluses I already had. However, once the doctor carved the calluses off, the cream helped stop them from reforming. So, I had a carefree camino after that incident.

Each night, I massaged with this cream before going to bed and wore a cotton sock to sleep. The next morning, my feet were still very moisturized and I did not need to "grease" them again. The LetiXer "Q" dry skin cream comes in a 100ml tube. I think that is cost about Euro 12, but I could be mistaken.

Other folks swear by using basic petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to moisturize your feet after showering in the afternoon, while sleeping (wear a cotton sock to bed) and again before "booting-up" in the morning. You might try this as a less-expensive option, once you get the calluses you already have sorted professionally.

I hope this helps.

Well, I talked with the chiropodist today, and she said that it would be very risky to do it on Friday. I only explained to her that I'm going to do the Caminho today. For me, the problem weren't the heels, it was on the toes!

I've decided to walk with the liner socks. I will not use Vaseline, because it was what I used last year, and it didn't helped me at all :/ I'm going with the Vick Vaporub. So far until now, for what I've experienced, it's great. I'm also taking a package of Protex, a foot cream which is made to help you prevent things like fungus and the accumulation of dead skin.

But thank you very much for your advice t2Andreo :)

Leave them, Diogo, until you get back home again.
You say you've reduced your back-pack weight by 3 kg ...... so you've plenty of space to pack a pair of roller skates
images

It's funny, because I know how to skate :p

Well, I talked with the chiropodist today, and she said that it would be very risky to do it on Friday. I only explained to her that I'm going to do the Caminho today. For me, the problem weren't the heels, it was on the toes!

I've decided to walk with the liner socks. I will not use Vaseline, because it was what I used last year, and it didn't helped me at all :/ I'm going with the Vick Vaporub. So far until now, for what I've experienced, it's great. I'm also taking a package of Protex, a foot cream which is made to help you prevent things like fungus and the accumulation of dead skin.

But thank you very much for your advice t2Andreo :)

It's funny, because I know how to skate :p

Buen Camino! Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Keep them dry, and then when you get to the end of the day, soak them in COLD water.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.