• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much wet weather gear do I need in June?

npazaky

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
I am leaving for the Camino in 3 weeks and apart from a poncho I wasn't planning on taking other wet weather gear with me. Is this OK or could I be making a packing faux-pas? I assumed being summer I would be OK. I have fast drying trekking pants but nothing else apart form the poncho and a rain cover for my pack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
this year the weather is quite changeable fro last year. it has been quite wet and windy. so it is very hard to predict what the weather is going to be like.

i walked the camino frances from mid may to mid june last year, the weather was beautiful-hot and sunny. however as you approach galicia, from o cebreiro on, you will be expecting heavy rain showers, thunderstorms and thick fog. you can expect an immediate change in weather. the weather pattern is more reminiscent of ireland. your poncho should be enough. also you will need a rain-proof hat. make sure that you have a cover for your rucksack. also wrap all your belongings inside your backpack with ziplock or plastic bags. they will get wet, with the wind blowing in the mountain, the rain usually come down sideway.

have a buen camino. god bless.

We had ponchos and lightweight waterproof trousers (breathable). They are long enough to keep water out of our boots. We walked some very wet days OK with this kit and would take it at any time of year :)
Our trousers are also shower proof and quick drying if we do not want to put the full wet weather gear on. It is easy to carry the poncho and keep the pack cover on when the showers are intermittent.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Put your walking gear and rain gear on. Go stand in the shower with cold water on for ten minutes. Then walk around with your wet gear for a couple of hours.

Its not an exact conditions test, and it would be better to just go outside when there is a torrent of rain going on, but I don't know how else to get the experience you need to make an informed decision.

I would carry a good quality rain jacket ... it will serve as a wind breaker too. A poncho doesn't work too well when the rain blows sideways ... as it sometimes does in the mountains.

Your own sweat can make you as wet on the inside as the rain on the outside. In summer think ventilation. I would not be taking rain pants and a proper rain jacket on a summer Camino on the Frances. To me they would be redundant and I'd finish up by discarding them. I'd take a trekking umbrella, a poncho and an ultralight showerproof jacket (like the cyclists use) for wind or an unexpected cold snap. I always have thermals in the bottom of my pack for emergencies - they weigh nothing. And a fine merino t-shirt and cardigan - lighter than a fleece and has the advantage of staying warm even when wet.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We're here in May and it has been the coldest and wettest May the locals have ever seen. I'm thoroughly glad I brought rain pants and a good rain jacket. When not raining, they've kept me warm(er). Its also been very windy. Hopefully it will warm up and dry out by the time you get here. Keep an eye on the weather, especially in the Pyrenees and Galicia.
(I'm typing this from my bunk in an albergue between Leon and Astorga and I'm under blankets.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back