• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How safe is the Pyrenees pass in March?

kacacc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Planning on walking the full length of the camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela in March 2013. Wondering if we should start at Roncevalles rather than St jean because of the possible weather. Has anyone ever walked this camino during March?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
kacacc said:
Planning on walking the full length of the camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela in March 2013. Wondering if we should start at Roncevalles rather than St jean because of the possible weather. Has anyone ever walked this camino during March?

kacacc,

In extreme weather the Gendames at SJPdP strongly advise/prohibit using the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees. The Valcarlos alternative stays open and if necessary you can walk on the parallel road. The Valcarlos municipal albergue is always open. The municipal albergue in SJPdP stays open throughout the year as does the monastery in Roncevalles.

Winter is a wonderful time to walk. However as you well know one must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow.

You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most will either be heated or have blankets.

After the Pyrenees two other sections where there might be heavy snow are the Montes de Oca just west of Belorado and, of course, going up to Foncebadon and O Cebreiro. Once you are in Galicia the weather will generally be milder with much rain.

Many Forum members have experienced winter conditions on the camino and several have written blogs. Sillydoll provides encyclopedic information on Winter Walking at >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2009/10/wa ... inter.html.
Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the 2010 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.fr/

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. You can see the snow and read my accounts at >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html and http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aafon.html. Luckily during both storms open albergues offered welcoming shelter.

Good luck with your research and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Margaret gave you the correct and true answer there - however - the weather is changing - call it global warming and pollution or uncontrollable "natural" processes but the fact remains that it is much harder to predict according to past years. Easter comes early this year and many will certainly want to start before Semna Santa putting us all into mid-March. 2010, the Holy Year we had fantastic weather in March, little rain very comfortable temperatures to walk in, very beautiful Spring from SJPP until Santiago; 2011 was hot in March, well, hot for March and Spring was long gone way before arriving in Santiago; 2012 was pleasant enough in March but in April the RAINS came and at the end of April there was snow in O'Cebreiro and still the rains fell. As Margaret said, they authorities will try and convince pilgrims not to walk should the snow be too aggressive - unfortunately not everyone will listen - that's why the French and the Spanish have Snow Rescue Teams complete with helicopters but I wouldn't want to test their efficiency!

Scruffy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well said Margaret and Scruffy about the winter camino and the weather in April this year.

The weather is unpredictable and we cannot do anything about it. Be always prepared for all kinds of weather in the mountains.

In April 2012 I walked through hot sunny days (the 4 first ones), rainy days (23 of 29 days), in sleet, mud, wet trails, upstream, downstream and through snow storms.

Was caught up by a snow storm between Rabanal and Foncebadon and had to stay at Foncebadon just to replan and see how the storm grows or settles. The next morning we walked together in a group from Foncebadon to El Acebo. We walked on the road - there was no way finding the signs in deep snow on the camino path. Just before El Acebo there was no more snow - what a relief!

I am used to snow and cold winters so I should know how to handle it. At Foncebadon I was quite frightened anyway because there was no other way down from there than walking. No taxis or vehicles made it up to Foncebadon that day. Was actually in contact with a forum member who had been in the same situation - made me feel better.

As Margaret says winter is a wonderful time for camino and I will be planning for winter camino maybe in February 2014.

I would like to cycle from Hendaye this winter, northern route and primitivo. Is there any risk of snow or ice on these routes? (Rain and cold are OK, snow and ice are not.)

Aquitaine wrote
I would like to cycle from Hendaye this winter, northern route and primitivo. Is there any risk of snow or ice on these routes? (Rain and cold are OK, snow and ice are not.)

On the Primitivo the snow line can be down to 800mts, some of the passes go over 1,300mts. The only way to be sure of the route is to check the forecast just ahead and ask the locals about safety on the route. A final decision about the Primitivo has to be made at El Espin where it is possible to turn north again the the Norte. Others can advise on the latter end of the Norte.
It can snow as late as May, but the passes would not be bad for long then but a few days built in for an extra day stop-over would be a good idea

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

To my mind the Pyrenees are quite safe because this is neither Caucasus nor Himalayas. If you are in good physical shape and equipped properly you can cross Pyrenees whenever you want easily. Although, the weather in Pyrenees is very unpredictable and volatile. I crossed the Pyrenees on April 30. I wouldn’t like to comment the weather conditions along the Napoleon Rout that day but for better understanding I attached some pictures here.
Sincerely,
Oleg

Attachments

• Fog.jpg
    Fog.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,710
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,711
  • Road.jpg
    Road.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 2,708
Thank you all, good information and great photos. Will be prepared for all weather and probably take the easier route over the Pyrenees since chance of snow

Stay flexible. You won't have to make a choice until the day you depart SJPP. If Route Napoleon is closed or not-recommended, then use Route Valcarlos. Otherwise, you have both options.

If you really want to walk Route Napoleon at that time of year, you might need to have a couple more days in reserve in your schedule so that you can wait until it clears.

Regards,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do keep your plan to start in SJPP, and as others have said, follow the advice of the Pilgrim's Office as to which route to take. I just walked the Valcarlos route this past week, and I can tell you first hand that you will be in for a treat. The valley is gorgeous, and the walk is not difficult, except for the last 6 kms up to the Ibaneta pass.

The albergue in Valcarlos is new and really well appointed with a full kitchen and steaming hot showers. When you arrive in Valcarlos, just go to the first bar you come to, Bar Benta, and they will give you directions to the albergue and the access code to get in the front door.

Nancy

Very glad you asked this question. It's difficult to know just how dangerous or extreme the pass will be...for oneself. What's not do-able for one person might be very do-able for the next. We are winter hikers who are used to subzero temperatures and deep snow; we routinely hike 4000+ ft elevation gain and 10-15 miles in the mountains during the winter in our home state of New Hampshire. We are starting in March 2013 from SJPP and would like to cross the Pyrenees. I worry a bit that the officials will advise against it when the conditions would be well what we are used to. In addition, they may be conservative in their advice when they look at my two daughters...but my two kids are experienced winter hikers with well over 100 mountains each under their belts. Also, I have a feeling "cold" for northern Spain feels like business-as-usual to us. We'd like to cross as long as visibility is reasonable and route-finding isn't a challenge.

All that being said, I don't want to underestimate the region since I have zero experience hiking this particular pass. I guess that once we're there, we'll check the forecast, ask around, and make the decision.

A thought -- One could always turn around and come back down to SJPP if the conditions start to feel treacherous (bring a compass), then do the Valcarlos route instead. Would lose a day, but that might not be too big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

We are traveling the camino in March as well. Maybe we will see you on the way. We have decided to take the easier route since we are not experienced in hiking at all. Great advice from all though.

TrishAlexSage said:
Very glad you asked this question. It's difficult to know just how dangerous or extreme the pass will be...for oneself. What's not do-able for one person might be very do-able for the next. We are winter hikers who are used to subzero temperatures and deep snow; we routinely hike 4000+ ft elevation gain and 10-15 miles in the mountains during the winter in our home state of New Hampshire. We are starting in March 2013 from SJPP and would like to cross the Pyrenees. I worry a bit that the officials will advise against it when the conditions would be well what we are used to. In addition, they may be conservative in their advice when they look at my two daughters...but my two kids are experienced winter hikers with well over 100 mountains each under their belts. Also, I have a feeling "cold" for northern Spain feels like business-as-usual to us. We'd like to cross as long as visibility is reasonable and route-finding isn't a challenge.

All that being said, I don't want to underestimate the region since I have zero experience hiking this particular pass. I guess that once we're there, we'll check the forecast, ask around, and make the decision.

A thought -- One could always turn around and come back down to SJPP if the conditions start to feel treacherous (bring a compass), then do the Valcarlos route instead. Would lose a day, but that might not be too big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think we are taking the route through Valcarlos. We are not experienced in hiking at all and don't want our first day to be discouraging.

nreyn12 said:
Do keep your plan to start in SJPP, and as others have said, follow the advice of the Pilgrim's Office as to which route to take. I just walked the Valcarlos route this past week, and I can tell you first hand that you will be in for a treat. The valley is gorgeous, and the walk is not difficult, except for the last 6 kms up to the Ibaneta pass.

The albergue in Valcarlos is new and really well appointed with a full kitchen and steaming hot showers. When you arrive in Valcarlos, just go to the first bar you come to, Bar Benta, and they will give you directions to the albergue and the access code to get in the front door.

Nancy

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back