• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How steep is the trail coming down from Alto de Perdon?

Nonna

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (Fall 2015)
In September my husband will be walking to Santiago de Compostela from St. Jean. I have Multiple Sclerosis so we have decided that I will meet him in Pamplona and start my Camino from there. I an 62 and have some balance issues due to the MS. I read that the decent from Alto de Perdon is steep and has loose rocks. I would like to know just how difficult it is. We live in TN and hike a lot. I walk at home without aid but am planning on taking walking sticks for the trail. I especially have difficulty when surfaces are wet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is not as steep as the trip down into Roncesvalles.
If you use poles and watch where you are putting your feet, you will be fine.
Honest, it's not that bad.

On the other hand, there have been taxis up at the top the last few times I've walked, so if you look and it appears too bad, you can taxi into town.

On the other hand, there have been taxis up at the top the last few times I've walked, so if you look and it appears too bad, you can taxi into town.
Thank you so much. That is encouraging. I recently rewatched the documentary trying to see if that section was in it but could not tell.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bring your poles. I considered it rough underfoot. Unlike the previous contributor I would consider Roncesvalles easier ( R. is longer).

It's like what we in Ireland call scree, a slope of rocks, some of which are loose. Go for it.

Be sure to read what others and I have written re the descent from Alto de Perdon in this earlier Forum thread. The descent is steepest at first but the multitude of small stones can make much of the descent very difficult and pure hell in rain or fog. Happily once you arrive at Uterga the path levels out and becomes a true pleasure.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
In September my husband will be walking to Santiago de Compostela from St. Jean. I have Multiple Sclerosis so we have decided that I will meet him in Pamplona and start my Camino from there. I an 62 and have some balance issues due to the MS. I read that the decent from Alto de Perdon is steep and has loose rocks. I would like to know just how difficult it is. We live in TN and hike a lot. I walk at home without aid but am planning on taking walking sticks for the trail. I especially have difficulty when surfaces are wet.
Hi Lorraine, it's not that difficult it's only about 2 km. that will be no problem. Take it slow and easy. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't take any chances this early in your camino - get a taxi to Uterga. You may even be able to get one from Cizur Menor. Two ski poles will help with your balance.

I checked my track and they appear very similar, except that the descent from the Alto de Perdon is longer. As Annie says, while they might be difficult, as any mountainous descent can be, they are doable. Take them both, and the descent in Zubiri, with care and you should be okay.

I don't remember it as being particularly steep. But I do remember it as being a washed out road with LOTS of loose rocks making footing difficult at times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As others have said it's not that steep. I doubt wet weather would make much difference. But if this is your first day
walking and you have a heavy pack then why not consider Renshaw's advice ? Live to fight another day.

With regard to trekking poles, I've never walked with them at home but on the Camino they were a revelation.
Not so much for balance but for taking the weight of the pack off my back and getting into a rhythm. Back home
and out on the hills in the Lakes I don't see the immediate advantage, but when you're on a well formed path the
difference is significant.

I'm not sure if your talking about store bought trekking poles or mother natures walking sticks. If you have never or have seldom used hiking/trekking poles learn and practice using them at home before you go. Believe it or not there is a right way and a wrong way to use poles.

When you start walking your Camino use your poles every day every step to maintain a 3 point stance and balance. Be sure to look where you step. One time in Santiago near the cathedral, I took a nasty fall when 1/2 the side walk dipped down over a foot to allow access to a door in a old building. There were no rails, no warning signs, no safety tape, nothing. No offence to Europe or Europeans but Europe is one giant trip hazard waiting for me.

Remember the Camino is not all smooth roads and trails. Roads run from smooth pavement, to Roman roads, to cobbles, to gravel, to dirt, and to mud, with lots of ruts thrown in. Trails also run the gauntlet of different surfaces but with a lots of chuck right thrown in that wants to roll under your feet. If its wet and muddy please consider a cab. It is not a Camino sacrilege to use a cab. I'm 65 and clumsy ;) and when I walk the Caminos I use my poles. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I too was concerned about the descent from Alto del Perdon, but it was really not that hard. And it levels out well before Uterga.

Just take your time and make sure you have 2 poles to assist you.

But....we all perceive difficulty differently..... I recall someone saying that the descent after Catrojerez (down from Alto Mostelares) was 'treacherous' down a concrete slope. The concrete slope was all of 50 metres long! Perhaps memories fade or play tricks over time. ;)

The hardest section of the CF for me was the descent into Molinaseca from Riego. As I remarked to another Pilgrim over dinner, 'no path' would have been better than that path! It was like a rocky riverbed.... Next time I would take the road.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And if you don't have "poles" you can purchase a very nice walking stick for under 10 euros in SJPP or any village along the Camino.
They work fine and have for centuries.
You don't need expensive poles.
I've done it both ways...

I re-read your post and see you already have sticks.
That's fine. They will come in handy going down into Roncesvalles, down into Zubiri, and many other places.

If you get to a place that just seems unsafe for you, most other pilgrims are usually always willing to aid another. Don't be shy, communicate!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Alto de Perdon is a decent slope and yes, there are loose rocks. Just tread carefully and you'll be okay. If I remember right, the path is fairly wide, so you can sort of pick your way down.

You are the only one who can judge your ability to deal with the slopes with your MS. As someone else has already mentioned the downhill to Roncevalles and the downhill to Zubiri are equally challenging, especially if they are wet. Take it a day at time and let your legs tell you what your limits are. There are taxis that can help you skip these places if you need to or just take your time and sidestep down the hill, it's not a race. I have severe neuropathy and walked the Camino Aragones from Oloron earlier this month which included going downhill from Alto de Perdon. It's doable but filled with many large round stones, I picked my path carefully and took lots of short breaks.

I admit to not taking the descent from Alto del Perdon. Had a look down there and decided to circumvent it (have balancing problems going down - something with my eyesight also - cannot judge distance about where I am setting my foot.

So I circumvented on a lovely road - no traffic, eagles above me - and even caught myself singing - how often does this happen?

If you have the Brierly map, you can see the deviation road to the left. It has previously been posted that you will be beside a major highway - not so. It will add a couple of kilometers - but better safe than sorry. - This route will bring you back to the Camino at Uterga.

annelise

- and my decision was also based on accounts from persons having had various 'calamities' going down - maybe it is better now ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did it 2 days ago. It isn't that steep. Only the loose rocks make it a bit tricky. But as you can read here: climbing and descending is a very personal experience.

As of May 2013 the descent had been GREATLY improved. One of the nicest descents of the Camino. A bit steep but not too bad. Now how those improvements have lasted over the past two years, I know not.......but I do know that I crossed it shortly after they had finished improvements and had a VASTLY superior experience to people who crossed it prior to May 2013

In addition to what the others have to offer - all of it good advice by the way - I add the suggestion to have your husband walk in front of you on the way down. NO, he is not the designated "road kill." There is actually a method to this...

Assuming he is a stronger hiker and is also using walking poles to help break or slow his descent, he will be your "safety" in case you do slip and fall. If he is in front he can at least stop your continued tumble or slide. This will minimize any boo-boos, regardless how steep the down incline. This also assumes you shout to him that you are falling...;)

Beyond learning how to use the walking poles to pace yourself on the level parts, and to help pull yourself up an incline, you should learn how to use them as extra "legs" to descend. Practice on stairs or steeper paths near your home.

Just as an FYI, A Florida friend of mine practiced climbing up and down on the only "hills" available to her in central Florida - high school athletic bleachers! It worked. She was 69 in 2013 and walked the Camino Frances like a mountain goat.

The down hill procedure is easy. LOOK at the terrain at least one to two meters meters ahead to pick your route through the challenging bits. LOOK for a good, secure spot to place one of your hiking your hiking poles, like between rocks, on the soil. Place your down-side hiking stick into this anchor point. Shift weight onto the pole, as you step down gingerly. (This presupposes that your hiking poles are well tightened).

Use the second pole to balance or steady yourself. Be prepared to dig that second pole into the trail if you feel the first pole start to slide or slip.

I frequently use one pole for traction on the way down, usually in my strong hand. The other pole is allowed to hover over the ground as I descend, ready to stab into the soil immediately if I feel I am losing traction.

Related tip: rubber tips for your poles are a useful and respectful thing to do when you are walking in a village, town or city, or on paved surfaces. Most of use HATE the "click-clack-click-clack" noise that the standard tungsten pole tips make on paved surfaces. The locals are also not fond of it, especially early in the morning.

HOWEVER, REMOVE THE RUBBER TIPS when going up or down a steep(ish), unpaved (natural) incline. The extra traction offered by the tungsten steel tips biting into the ground can make all the difference. Put the rubber tips in a pocket and then replace them when appropriate.

If you do not have a pair of rubber tips, pick them up when you get to St. Jean or Pamplona. They are cheaper in Europe and most hiking poles use the same diameter tip. I use Leki poles and never have a problem finding exact fitting replacements. The pair of tips that cost USD 12.00 in the States will cost perhaps half that in Europe. One pair should last the entire trip.

Also, Alto de Perdon is the first day out of Pamplona. Use the rubber tips until you leave the paved sidewalks and suburban roads. Then reaffix them when you get to Puente la Reina, after the down hill stretch. I think the Hotel Jakue is the first place with a paved road after Alto de Perdon.

Mountaineers and climbers use a conceptually similar technique to "belay" others in the climbing string so they serve as anchors in the event one person falls. Walking the Camino is hiking. Sometimes the route up or down is more challenging than a literal walk in the park. However, it is all manageable with some forethought. It helps to have a stout fellow catch you if you slip. It has happened to me more than once. I have also "caught" a few people who slipped.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lorraine, I just walked this part of the trail in May, and it is very steep with lots of loose rocks, as others have said. I have life-long knee injuries, and I seldom enjoy this particular descent! You could probably do it, especially if you have two trekking poles, just taking it really slowly.

The only concern I would raise, though, is that it will be your first day on the trail. Will you be carrying a fully loaded backpack? And have you trained with the pack weight you will carry? If you are accustomed to the pack weight, good, but if not, that could be an added level of difficulty.

You may want to consider using the luggage transport service for that day sending your pack ahead to your destination and walking with just a day pack. The most reliable service is Jacotrans, and your hotel, guesthouse, or albergue can show you how to arrange for a pick-up and drop-off. The cost is 7 euros per stage in that part of the trail - well worth it!

I too was concerned about the descent from Alto del Perdon, but it was really not that hard. And it levels out well before Uterga.

Just take your time and make sure you have 2 poles to assist you.

But....we all perceive difficulty differently..... I recall someone saying that the descent after Catrojerez (down from Alto Mostelares) was 'treacherous' down a concrete slope. The concrete slope was all of 50 metres long! Perhaps memories fade or play tricks over time. ;)

The hardest section of the CF for me was the descent into Molinaseca from Riego. As I remarked to another Pilgrim over dinner, 'no path' would have been better than that path! It was like a rocky riverbed.... Next time I would take the road.

You got that right! I remember hearing that it was only a few kilometers and all downhill!

I hurted my heels, knees and right ankle descending it. Except for the heels I noticed it few days after and I had to stop (besides I got an infection).

It was my fault. I went down like a goat. You just have to take care and go as slow as you need.

€149,-
I hurted my heels, knees and right ankle descending it. Except for the heels I noticed it few days after and I had to stop (besides I got an infection).

It was my fault. I went down like a goat. You just have to take care and go as slow as you need.
:)I think you just described an "old goat":rolleyes:

How about the walk up to Alto del Perdon?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Be sure to read what others and I have written re the descent from Alto de Perdon in this earlier Forum thread. The descent is steepest at first but the multitude of small stones can make much of the descent very difficult and pure hell in rain or fog. Happily once you arrive at Uterga the path levels out and becomes a true pleasure.
Good luck and Buen camino!

I agree with this. I injured my knee on this descent in 2015.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back