• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How To Choose The Right Route For Us?

debcai

Time of past OR future Camino
First time 2017
Hello - first timers here, just starting to make plans for our Camino August/September. We had planned to do the Frances way but have just become aware of the Northern Way. A quandary!
We are medium fit (both late 50's but I did recently have a bit of back surgery, though good to go!)and hear that the Northern way is more physically challenging. Are there any other reasons that one would choose this route over the Frances route? It sounds to be quiet, beautiful coastal scenery, hopefully easy enough to find local accommodation....
I had hoped to carry a 5kg pack and send a bag ahead a week or so, but not sure if this kind of service is available on this route? And can we just turn up to a village and find a pension or similar or do we need to know in advance? My understanding is that on the Frances way we can make last minute decisions around accommodation etc so it may be more flexible.
We would really appreciate some advice from people who have done both?
Thanks so much in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello - first timers here, just starting to make plans for our Camino August/September. We had planned to do the Frances way but have just become aware of the Northern Way. A quandary!
We are medium fit (both late 50's but I did recently have a bit of back surgery, though good to go!)and hear that the Northern way is more physically challenging. Are there any other reasons that one would choose this route over the Frances route? It sounds to be quiet, beautiful coastal scenery, hopefully easy enough to find local accommodation....
I had hoped to carry a 5kg pack and send a bag ahead a week or so, but not sure if this kind of service is available on this route? And can we just turn up to a village and find a pension or similar or do we need to know in advance? My understanding is that on the Frances way we can make last minute decisions around accommodation etc so it may be more flexible.

First of all welcome!
I did not walk the Norte ( only regular holidays in that area ) but know people who did.
More asphalt and paved roads. Lots of going up and down.

Regarding the month of August ; take into consideration that most Spaniards take that month off to have their own holiday and lots of places on the Norte or beach resorts will be fully booked ( especially the surfer areas ).

Other forummembers will surely give you more detailed info regarding the albergues.

The Correos, Spanish post, has a transport service.
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/camino.php?c=camino-del-norte

For a first Camino I still would recommend the Camino Frances, even if it is getting too crowded sometimes.
Good luck with your plans!

Last edited:
First of all welcome!
I did not walk the Norte ( only regular holidays in that area ) but know people who did.
More asphalt and paved roads. Lots of going up and down.

Regarding the month of August ; take into consideration that most Spaniards take that month off to have their own holiday and lots of places on the Norte or beach resorts will be fully booked ( especially the surfer areas ).

Other forummembers will surely give you more detailed info regarding the albergues.

The Correos, Spanish post, has a transport service.
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/camino.php?c=camino-del-norte

For a first Camino I still would recommend the Camino Frances, even if it getting too crowded sometimes.
Good luck with your plans!

Sabine, thank you so much for your reply.
Some very good advice.
And good to know about the Spanish national holiday times - I should have thought of that!!!!
We are so tempted by the thought of walking within sight of the ocean, but obviously many things to consider before we commit. We could always delay our trip and start in September too.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sabine, thank you so much for your reply.
Some very good advice.
And good to know about the Spanish national holiday times - I should have thought of that!!!!
We are so tempted by the thought of walking within sight of the ocean, but obviously many things to consider before we commit. We could always delay our trip and start in September too.
Thank you!

Or walk to Finisterre....ocean there too :)

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself and needing help with one side of the argument or the other. I would think it is only critical if you will only get one shot at walking the Camino. You can always come back and walk the other one next time.

You will probably love both, the Norte will have less people, may need more planning about stages and accommodation, will have more views of the sea; while the Frances will have more people, more accommodation possibilities, more opportunity for sending your bag on ahead, more flexibility to stop if your back is giving trouble etc.. More people doesn't mean you won't have times to be alone. They will both have stunningly beautiful sections, and boring bits. You will struggle on both and meet great people on both.

From the way you share it sounds to me like the Frances hits where your needs are right now, but you're afraid on missing out on something better. Go with your heart.

The norte is physically fairly hard as there are lots of river mouths so you keep having to go inland and out, up and down. In the old days there were guys with rowing boats to help pilgrims!

It is also rife with touristy temptations in season (I got lured into kayaking at one point!), so it does have a pull against the kind of contemplative, cultural camino that many people want. The infrastructure isn't so geared to pilgrims (who have less money than tourists). Having said that, I think it could be good outside peak season, and as a second pilgrimage. I personally wouldn't do it as a first one, or in August.

If you are really unsure about the French Way, what about the Primitivo?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Have you found this thread?
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...il-you-have-read-this-post.37007/#post-352866

It is a bit "negative" but, as I said in reply - make it into a list of questions. Is this the kind of Camino you are looking for, or would the Frances be more appropriate? My first Camino was walking from home in the U.K. and then from Santander to Santiago on the Norte - Primitivo. I have not walked the Frances - it is just not my thing!
Only you can decide what is "right" for you :)

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself and needing help with one side of the argument or the other. I would think it is only critical if you will only get one shot at walking the Camino. You can always come back and walk the other one next time.

You will probably love both, the Norte will have less people, may need more planning about stages and accommodation, will have more views of the sea; while the Frances will have more people, more accommodation possibilities, more opportunity for sending your bag on ahead, more flexibility to stop if your back is giving trouble etc.. More people doesn't mean you won't have times to be alone. They will both have stunningly beautiful sections, and boring bits. You will struggle on both and meet great people on both.

From the way you share it sounds to me like the Frances hits where your needs are right now, but you're afraid on missing out on something better. Go with your heart.
Thank you for your help. It is not easy making these choices from the other side of the world! it seems that any choice will be the right one, but i think your advice regarding my back and flexibility is worth reflecting on. Looking like the Frances way at this point... Thank you again.

The norte is physically fairly hard as there are lots of river mouths so you keep having to go inland and out, up and down. In the old days there were guys with rowing boats to help pilgrims!

It is also rife with touristy temptations in season (I got lured into kayaking at one point!), so it does have a pull against the kind of contemplative, cultural camino that many people want. The infrastructure isn't so geared to pilgrims (who have less money than tourists). Having said that, I think it could be good outside peak season, and as a second pilgrimage. I personally wouldn't do it as a first one, or in August.

If you are really unsure about the French Way, what about the Primitivo?
Thank you. Getting lured into kayaking sounds like a pleasant temptation(!) but on reflection I think probably more sensible to leave a more challenging walk to do as our second Camino. I will look now at the Primitivo too. so much to read, so many choices and as has been said before, whatever we choose will be the right one. thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you found this thread?
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...il-you-have-read-this-post.37007/#post-352866

It is a bit "negative" but, as I said in reply - make it into a list of questions. Is this the kind of Camino you are looking for, or would the Frances be more appropriate? My first Camino was walking from home in the U.K. and then from Santander to Santiago on the Norte - Primitivo. I have not walked the Frances - it is just not my thing!
Only you can decide what is "right" for you :)

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel
Thank you Terry - great advice and a useful list of things to consider. Now we will get into some serious planning and decision making!

The Primitivo is lovely, I walked it in July last year. Mostly not too crowded although a couple of slight bottleneck places (Berducedo mainly). If you have loads of time you could start further back and combine it with a bit of the coast.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back