• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Ourense to Sarria by Renfe

Nana995

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria To Fisterra
Hey everyone!

This is my first day. I am trying to get from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria using Renfe.

I am wondering if you are familiar with taking train/bus from Ourense to Sarria by Renfe?

I am not able to locate the 6A platform and the staffs aren’t able to explain very well neither …. They somehow told me I need to take a bus?

Appreciate if you could help :)! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9930.jpeg
    IMG_9930.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 1,762
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey everyone!

This is my first day. I am trying to get from Santiago de Compostela to Sarria using Renfe.

I am wondering if you are familiar with taking train/bus from Ourense to Sarria by Renfe?

I am not able to locate the 6A platform and the staffs aren’t able to explain very well neither …. They somehow told me I need to take a bus?

Appreciate if you could help :)! Thanks!
Plaza is the seat, not platform

On the right it says "Por obras, todo el (..)" which translates to "due to construction, the whole(...)", so I'm assuming there's construction and you need to take a replacement bus?

Exactly as @JCLima says.
On the Renfe website for that booking it says:
Por obras de mejora en las infraestructuras, el trayecto Ourense-Lugo se realizará por carretera.
=Due to infrastructure improvement works, the Ourense-Lugo route will be carried out by road.
So indeed you are looking for the replacement bus.
Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This happened to me last autumn in reverse, Sarria to Ourense.
And yes, Renfe will put on a replacement bus. Mine was waiting in front of the station in Sarria.

Thank you very much everyone this is so helpful!

@Sheesh was there any sign showing it was the right bus? The lady just told me it could be a bus from platform 1-5… and “Renfe” should show up on the board, I guess you would just have to go up and ask?

Thank you very much everyone this is so helpful!

@Sheesh was there any sign showing it was the right bus? The lady just told me it could be a bus from platform 1-5… and “Renfe” should show up on the board, I guess you would just have to go up and ask?
The station in Sarria where I caught my bus is VERY small and there was only one bus outside of it at the time. I can't remember what information it displayed, but I did ask some other folk who were also waiting and they concurred that it was the right bus.

So yes, just keep asking. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Usually they don't show the platform number until shortly before departure in Spain. Just watch the sign board. Likely it will be bus platforms 1-5 and maybe 5 buses if they are trying to duplicate the capacity of the train. There may be one or more buses that goes straight through to Sarria from Ourense and other buses that will stop at points in between. The driver will make sure you are on the right bus.

Last summer we had to get off the train in Ourense from Madrid and take a bus to Sarria. They herded us along with a lot of other pilgrims. This is a lengthy work project.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The train between Ourense and Sarria has been running normally every day since 30 August 2023. It was true it was closed as they relaid new track hence the bus service. Your ticket says coche number(9) and seat number (6A).

I will be traveling on Renfe from Madrid to Sarria on October 17. So I see conflicting information. Now, 2023, is the train running From Ourense To Sarria with a bus from Sarria to Lugo or is it bus from Ourense to Sarria? I just want to know what to expect.

@Damico Walking I don't know why @Mark Francis Auchincloss would indicate that the train is running normally when clearly it is not, or the OP would not have posed the question. Perhaps it's possible that at certain times of the day (very early, very late) work on the line 'may' be suspended. Anyone know for sure? I would just say to be prepared for a Renfe-supplied bus for any destination on the line between Ourense and Lugo, regardless of the direction of travel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was by bus :). The original ticket was for a high-speed train, but Renfe changed it to Bus due to construction.
Glad you made it there ok! I actually had the same question as I have train tickets from Madrid to Sarria on October 26 thru Renfe and noticed some sort of alert that said part of the trip might be by bus. Did you end up taking the bus the entire way?🙏😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glad you made it there ok! I actually had the same question as I have train tickets from Madrid to Sarria on October 26 thru Renfe and noticed some sort of alert that said part of the trip might be by bus. Did you end up taking the bus the entire way?🙏😊
I just made that trip yesterday. We were train from Madrid to Ourense. Then very organized bus to Monforte de Lemos, then train to Sarria. They had an agent on the platform in Ourense to gather those traveling on toward Sarria who explained everything very well. About 20 minutes before gathering at exit door near the busses where she took us as a group to the bus and we loaded. Once in Montforte we got off bus and boarded the train and we were off. The next stop was Sarria. Quite happy with it.

I just made that trip yesterday. We were train from Madrid to Ourense. Then very organized bus to Monforte de Lemos, then train to Sarria. They had an agent on the platform in Ourense to gather those traveling on toward Sarria who explained everything very well. About 20 minutes before gathering at exit door near the busses where she took us as a group to the bus and we loaded. Once in Montforte we got off bus and boarded the train and we were off. The next stop was Sarria. Quite happy with it.
Thank you so much for your response! So glad that your travel to Sarria went OK for you. Bien Camino!

Hi, anyone been traveling now or in the future on this line?
Just want a current update as we have to buy tickets for when we go in March.
Are we still expecting the bus at Ourense to Sarria?
Thanks so much

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks so much
If you try to buy the tickets on their website, you can still see the warning (little triangle), so I'm assuming you should expect a bus

Thanks so much
The transfer to bus changes as they complete sections of their project and begin others. In September when we bought our tickets there was no mention of bus, but when we traveled in October a bus was inserted. Frankly I was worried but really for no reason. They handled it very good with no confusion and no impact on travel but possibly an extra hour to the trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back