• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to prepare bag for shipment to SdC via Correos

watekebb

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal from Porto (Fall 2017)
Doing the Norte with my partner in a few weeks. It’s the beginning of our honeymoon and we’ve got 6 weeks of post-Camino onward travel, including our friends’ wedding, so we plan to ship ahead our one bag of other clothing from San Sebastián to SdC.

I’ve read conflicting information about how Correos prefers the luggage to be packaged and I don’t have total confidence in my Spanish competence to inquire on arrival— as-is, shrink-wrapped, NOT shrink-wrapped, repacked into a cardboard box, etc. It’s a ~50L duffle-style soft-sided bag, so it has straps, but it could also be stuffed into a box if necessary. We’re trying to choose the safest possible option to avoid any (preventable) issues since we packed some nice clothes for our honeymoon/the friends’ wedding.

Any guidance? How did you prepare your bag for shipment via Correos?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have shipped a standard carry-on bag exactly as is. On one occasion, I was amazed that the label had stayed with the bag, as it was hanging on by a thread when retrieved, but all was well. Put it in a box if you want to, but you don't have to.

Ps....I shipped it from the Correos location in Irun

I have shipped a standard carry-on bag exactly as is. On one occasion, I was amazed that the label had stayed with the bag, as it was hanging on by a thread when retrieved, but all was well. Put it in a box if you want to, but you don't have to.

Ps....I shipped it from the Correos location in Irun
Thanks Rick! Good to know. I’ll make sure the labels are attached extremely securely, haha.

Did the Irun office seem to be familiar with Paq Peregrino? I’m conflicted about whether to send it from there or San Sebastián (spending first two nights there, taking train to Irun and walking back to San Seb. the first day). Seems like Irun might be more used to sending stuff to Santiago. I’m probably overthinking it though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Rick! Good to know. I’ll make sure the labels are attached extremely securely, haha.

Did the Irun office seem to be familiar with Paq Peregrino? I’m conflicted about whether to send it from there or San Sebastián (spending first two nights there, taking train to Irun and walking back to San Seb. the first day). Seems like Irun might be more used to sending stuff to Santiago. I’m probably overthinking it though.
You are overthinking it. The girls at the front desk never heard of the service, but the guy in the back showed them the screen they needed. Success here is assured. Worry about the constant up and down for the next 10 days, your bag will be fine.

I shipped my carry on size wheeled suitcase from Irun to Casa Ivar. I just needed to secure the zippers (I think that I used zip ties). They have a very good tracking system and I received notification via email the day after I sent it that it had been delivered!

The suitcase weighed 12 kilos and it cost 22.45 Euros to send to Ivar in 2018.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You want a Pac Peregrino. Available at a Post Office near you.
Search correos dot es to know more.
Available in English language too

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.