• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport - Why?

If you have undertaken a Camino using Luggage Transport or Plan to - What's the main reason?

• I'm physically unable to carry my pack - age, health, injury...

Votes: 61 50.4%
  • It just makes sense. Why carry a full pack when I can just carry a day pack

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I'll be less tired at the end of the day

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I'll enjoy the walking more

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • I'm not used to hiking with a pack

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I'm just worried carrying a pack will be too hard for me

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I want to have a few luxuries that would make a pack too heavy

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have to bring medical equipment that would make my pack to heavy

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • If the service is there, why not use it?

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
No judgement from me.
And please no judgement in the comments.
We all walk the Camino in our own way.

Let's not fall into a debate about why or why not it should be used.

It's just that Luggage Transport seems to be growing in popularity, and I wondered why.
We might all learn something ;)

Added.
We are talking about day to day luggage transport here.
If you used it for a day or 100 days!
It's not sending your post Camino luggage to Santiago.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Will follow this! Is driven by profit I think - a need/desire is seen (or invented) and paid services arise to satisfy that ..

but I do wonder if there is a correlation over the years between the rise of baggage transport and the ratio of religious pilgrims to hikers? (my assumption being that there is a rise in hikers and a drop in religious pilgrims - but only a guess) - and also, not judging, just interested.

I don't fit the categories - apologies ... I loathe wearing a heavy pack anyway (even a light one) and with my first aid kit it would have been completely not doable so I went down the route of designing and building a trailer - hey! luggage transport but by me for me!! :eek:

Last edited:
I think I've used them 3 times out of roughly 70 days of walking.
Mine was when I knew I had a big descent and didn't fancy the weight on my knees.. another time I just felt the need for a weight free day so I could frolic if the desire took me.. personally I think it's a great idea to give yourself a day off if you feel like it. Although sometimes it actually feels weird not having the pack on when you've been used to it..
I don't know which box to tick 😃

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I ticked "other". The second time I walked the CF I started with my backpack but at age 75 I wasn't enjoying the daily walk as I had previously, especially since the uphill stretches were quite a test, so after a few days, I opted for the pack transfer although to be fair I could have soldiered on.

I took my backpack of roughly 5.5kg on my shoulders like in the old days.

Almost all people I met on my CF in 2019, that talked about it and who used the transportation-services, did it out of medical reasons.

And that's totally fine. Why not using this service?

Will follow this! Is driven by profit I think - a need/desire is seen (or invented) and paid services arise to satisfy that ..

but I do wonder if there is a correlation over the years between the rise of baggage transport and the ratio of religious pilgrims to hikers? (my assumption being that there is a rise in hikers and a drop in religious pilgrims - but only a guess) - and also, not judging, just interested.

I don't fit the categories - apologies ... I loathe wearing a heavy pack anyway (even a light one) and with my first aid kit it would have been completely not doable so I went down the route of designing and building a trailer - hey! luggage transport but by me for me!! :eek:
I think this is certainly a possibility.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would have thought that hikers (if long-distance hikers) are used to carrying everything and therefore less likely to use baggage transfer but pilgrims (perhaps wrongly not used to multiday walking) would be more inclined to have their bag transferred. But there again I could easily argue the other way! Or is it that more people walking the Camino have more available cash than previously?

I checked other. My husband needs bag transport to walk longer distances and keep up with me. He has no problem with very short days of 16 km or less carrying his pack. He has trained with a personal trainer and lost 40 lbs in the last year and it was still a struggle especially on days with long hills. It was the same on last year's Camino. It makes us sad because it isn't the same to walk with transport. We have to make reservations and can't just stay where we like.

I would have thought that hikers (if long-distance hikers) are used to carrying everything and therefore less likely to use baggage transfer but pilgrims (perhaps wrongly not used to multiday walking) would be more inclined to have their bag transferred
I thought the same thing.

I just got to Burgos, it’s summer. Everyone I’ve met along the way has too much stuff. Bare minimum packing list would be much lighter than what I’m seeing ppl carry on their backs. I haven’t met a luggage transfer person yet bc they probably don’t stay at the same albergues. Quién sabe!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2016, I was looking for a multi-day hiking experience so I could do the trek to Machu Pichu. I came across multiple websites advertising walking tours of the Camino de Santiago. Never knew one could put on their backpack and walk across Spain without a company! Fortunately, we knew some people who had walked it, and when we told them our plans, they told us about the Camino - it's history, it's religious experience. Thus, we did our own walk over 10 days from SJPP -Logroño. Someone we met fairly recently had done the full Frances with a tour company and was amazed, stunned to hear people did it on their own without pre-booking accommodation and luggage transfer.

My point here is that the internet is flooded with pre-arranged tours and many go with that because they are unaware of the do-it-yourself options. Some are not aware there is a Camino(s) outside of the Sarria to Santiago portion!

On a different note, I did have to use luggage transport my last 2 days in 2016 because I injured my hip - recommendation from the physio I saw.

I voted other I dont fit into any of the boxes. I walked my first CF in 2021 aged 68. I carried my pack about a third of the time. I started off carrying it but when I saw people a lot younger than me having their packs transferred I thought why not? I did stay in quite a few municipals and that meant two days carrying my pack each time.
2022 I walked the CP the first day I met my camino family and we booked private albergues and had our bags sent on after that first day.
This year I walked Sienna to Rome and carried my pack on all but two days.
Next year I am meeting with my camino family to walk route as yet unknown but I will make sure my bag can be transported most days

We did our firsr Camino at 69 years old, 2 since and will be starting our 4th in September.. each time we were staying in Europe for between 3 weeks and 5 weeks after the Camino. This time we will be staying for 3 months after the Csmino... We pack a backpack and 2 carry on bag, but will not carry the carry on bag on a daily basis on the Camino... No profit motive, no need to do whatever... We did it because we needed to at our age and desired enjoyment of the Camino itself, not answering to anyone thinking we should do it differently...

SJPP -Logroño. Someone we met fairly recently had done the full Frances with a tour company and was amazed, stunned to hear people did it on their own without pre-booking accommodation and luggage transfer.
Never did I imagine to hire a company to do my job.
It's part of the fun for me, to plan. And not have a plan, too!
Maybe if I'm much older than now, I will rethink this decission.

I booked in advance only a single time (Puente de la Reina, it was really packed in Pamplona and I wanted to secure a bed). Even my flight back home I booked from the Albergue in Sarria.

I carried my pack for 3.5 Caminos but half-way through the CF last year, used the transport service due to recovering from a cold. Enjoyed the experience and my walk so much that day, that I continued doing this on most days and this year too. My pack is 6kg, and though I know I can carry it every day, it is simply nicer not to have to. So, I bring a small bag to put my clothes, shower shoes and toiletries in and send it forward. (when I say clothing, I mean 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants, 2 socks and 2 underwear, and my nightgown) I have no extras and wore the same clothing every day. People laughed at me when I told them my pack had my sleeping bag in it, but it is something I just want to have with me all the time.

It is a bit sad to see people sending big suitcases forward with just clothing, 4 pairs of shoes and hair fixer uppers, without the people ever trying to get their pack down to a carrying weight, but if they want to, let them. Frankly, it is none of my business.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We did our firsr Camino at 69 years old, 2 since and will be starting our 4th in September.. each time we were staying in Europe for between 3 weeks and 5 weeks after the Camino. This time we will be staying for 3 months after the Csmino...
Do you both have passports or visas that allow a stay longer than the 90 days that's allowed in the Schengen zone?

No judgement from me.

It's just that Luggage Transport seems to be growing in popularity, and I wondered why.
We might all learn something
No judgement from me.

My husband and I walked the CP March/April and used luggage transport the entire way just for convenience and ease. I would probably use luggage transport again for the ease and convenience of not having to carry a pack. I’m not saying we are well off because we used a luggage transfer company but I think the well off pilgrims back in the day probably used some sort of luggage transport whether someone carried their items or they used a donkey. I volunteered at the pilgrim’s office checking pilgrim’s passports and giving out the Compostelas. I saw all kinds of reasons to walk the Camino. I believe there is no wrong way to walk the Camino, the Camino is your way and no one else’s.
Buen Camino🥾

This is a partial diversion (apologies!), but we walked a part of the Camino Francés (about 8 days) with a friend who was using a travel & baggage transport service. We found that every hotel he stayed in serviced exclusively only pilgrims booked through travel companies. So we could never stay in the same place.

I think it's a shame when pilgrims get segregated, and probably have fewer interactions, just on the basis of whether they've used a travel company or not.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My point here is that the internet is flooded with pre-arranged tours and many go with that because they are unaware of the do-it-yourself options.
That is one of the saddest sentences I've ever read here on the forum. The idea that someone's primary understanding of travel is a prepackaged commodity you just pick out of a catalogue. :-(

No judgement from me.

Robo - I appreciate your follow-up to the the poll. Personal context -- I had back surgery 27 years ago, and gratefully, no serious issues with it since. While very fit, avid runner and walker, concerns for hurting myself outweigh (literally and figuratively) carrying a 12lb. (est.) pack the full Frances. I will carry what I can comfortably to safely complete my Camino and be in a position to do another in due time.

We did our firsr Camino at 69 years old, 2 since and will be starting our 4th in September.. each time we were staying in Europe for between 3 weeks and 5 weeks after the Camino. This time we will be staying for 3 months after the Csmino... We pack a backpack and 2 carry on bag, but will not carry the carry on bag on a daily basis on the Camino... No profit motive, no need to do whatever... We did it because we needed to at our age and desired enjoyment of the Camino itself, not answering to anyone thinking we should do it differently...

Apologies, thought my text read ok - by profit motive I am writing of the profits made by the businesses that make their profit from running baggage carrying - how else could it be?? 🤷‍♂️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carried my pack for 3.5 Caminos but half-way through the CF last year, used the transport service due to recovering from a cold. Enjoyed the experience and my walk so much that day, that I continued doing this on most days and this year too. My pack is 6kg, and though I know I can carry it every day, it is simply nicer not to have to. So, I bring a small bag to put my clothes, shower shoes and toiletries in and send it forward. (when I say clothing, I mean 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants, 2 socks and 2 underwear, and my nightgown) I have no extras and wore the same clothing every day. People laughed at me when I told them my pack had my sleeping bag in it, but it is something I just want to have with me all the time.

It is a bit sad to see people sending big suitcases forward with just clothing, 4 pairs of shoes and hair fixer uppers, without the people ever trying to get their pack down to a carrying weight, but if they want to, let them. Frankly, it is none of my business.
Then there are those, like myself, for whom the Camino is part of a longer trip. In order to experience other places the way I wanted to, I needed more than would fit in a backpack for the Camino—additional footwear, a dress, and so forth. I have no regrets and was able to immerse myself in the Camino in a way that I wouldn’t have carrying a large pack.

Agree. I’m a turtle and my pack is my home. It’s so satisfying to carry my home on the Camino. I love how my osprey backpack feels when I’m all buckled and strapped in, like a second skin.
Turtles unite! Free to make spontaneous choices and no one to negotiate with… sounds like heaven to me

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We just got back from 2 weeks on the Camino. We brought our 13-yr-old kids with us. We brought a packable duffle bag with us and used it to transport our heaviest items when we had a long hike day ahead or super hot day. The 4 adults that were traveling old enough to appreciate a slightly lighter pack and my kids were able to complete the tough days. All 6 of us were able to lighten our packs by about 5lbs each tossing it in the duffle bag. We only used the service a few days, but it really saved us when we did.

This is a partial diversion (apologies!), but we walked a part of the Camino Francés (about 8 days) with a friend who was using a travel & baggage transport service. We found that every hotel he stayed in serviced exclusively only pilgrims booked through travel companies. So we could never stay in the same place.

I think it's a shame when pilgrims get segregated, and probably have fewer interactions, just on the basis of whether they've used a travel company or not.
Be aware that this is not the case with all transport services. We chose our accommodations first, then arranged transport. We did this independently, without use of a travel agency.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I walked the Camino Ingles in 2019. This experience was only one week out of a multi week trip to New York City, a conference in Warsaw, a side trip to Vienna, and another conference in Abu Dhabi, which entailed packing for multiple seasons, needs, and scenarios, plus accommodating materials, books, and gifts received from the conferences. We were very grateful to use luggage transport.

We are returning to walk the Frances in September and will again use luggage transport. This time we are also attending a conference in Berlin in conjunction with the Camino, but the main reason is that we are now both in our late 60s, my husband has some health issues, and our previous experience with luggage transport was so pleasant that we never really considered not using a luggage transport.

I continue to be puzzled whenever the topic of pack transfer comes up. There seems to be a belief that in simpler times pilgrims carried their pack. I like to carry my pack for many personal reasons; like, not knowing where I will be staying each night. But why do so many feel so strongly that pilgrims carried their pack. I would think that they had pack horses or something that carried their supplies, and perhaps they did not carry their personal belongings.

Then there are those, like myself, for whom the Camino is part of a longer trip. In order to experience other places the way I wanted to, I needed more than would fit in a backpack for the Camino—additional footwear, a dress, and so forth. I have no regrets and was able to immerse myself in the Camino in a way that I wouldn’t have carrying a large pack.
We are one of those, migrated to Canada many years ago and any return trip to Europe means visiting family in London and therefore additional luggage.

I continue to be puzzled whenever the topic of pack transfer comes up. There seems to be a belief that in simpler times pilgrims carried their pack. I like to carry my pack for many personal reasons; like, not knowing where I will be staying each night. But why do so many feel so strongly that pilgrims carried their pack. I would think that they had pack horses or something that carried their supplies, and perhaps they did not carry their personal belongings.
I am sure wealthier pilgrims had transport and possibly rode on transport animals. It is still more costly to do pack transport today and you must stay in private accomodation.

My point here is that the internet is flooded with pre-arranged tours and many go with that because they are unaware of the do-it-yourself options. Some are not aware there is a Camino(s) outside of the Sarria to Santiago portion!
Before my first Camino in 2016 I had no idea how to organize it - I had only heard about it from a classmate in a Spanish course who had done the final 100 km. I didn't know anyone who had walked a longer Camino. Of course when I initially did a Google search the first results were from tour companies, and they were much more than unwanted to pay!

Thankfully, I discovered this forum and learned what to pack so that I could carry my own pack (something that I had never done in my previous 58 years of life), that I didn't need to have prebooked accommodations, etc. And my Camino passion was born!
With the exception of one Camino trip I always do some other traveling before/after my Camino. I simply send my suitcase with my pre and post Camino clothing to Santiago. Much less expensive than daily transfer, and I have the freedom of having everything with me all the time so that I can walk as much or as little as I like each day.

This year while on the Norte I came across a town at 9:30 in the morning after I'd walked only about half of my normal daily distance and just felt like I'd like to stay there, so I did! I wasn't under pressure to walk to where my luggage was. It was one of the most enjoyable days on my Camino this year.

We come to Spain from the west coast of the US, and the Camino is part of a larger, major trip. Even though we pack carry-on only, we bring items needed for the other travels, and thus while walking use day packs only.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Robo, you know that we have a strong forum tradition of roundly criticizing any poll or survey design. 🤣 ;)

I would start by asking what you mean by "undertaking a Camino using luggage transport." I used luggage transport once out of a couple hundred camino days. Does this count? Most of your reasons could apply to that one occasion. Do you mean to include those who ship something to Ivar for use after the camino, or only those who send their packs day-to-day? When does "physically very difficult" become "physically unable"?

I don't see that you'll be able to draw any conclusions from the poll, but I suppose we can never have too many discussions about the pros and cons of luggage transport! :rolleyes:

No judgement from me.

I have walked 6 Camino‘s and my knees have started to play up, so when I walked the Le Puy 6 weeks ago I decided to get my rucksack moved on, did I feel any less of a walker? No I didn’t .
Everyone who walks Camino’s must do it in the way that suits them.

Not sure why folks are confusing the fact that they have more luggage for travel after their Camino, (luggage that they could send on to Ivar), with those who are simply lightening their regular pack that has their daily items in it. Those are 2 completely different things. Of course you will have more luggage if you are traveling on, but you don't need to pay to ship it forward each day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not confused; just prefer it this way.
I think that @Jodean is referring to the fact that some people are answering one question (about day-to-day transport), and others are answering a different question (about one-time SJPP-to-Santiago transport of luggage for later travel). Each person may not be confused, but the poll results will be.

I have never sent any luggage on ahead to Santiago, and my vacations and cruises to Europe are separate trips when my hubby can go. The one time he joined me in Santiago, we rented a vehicle and toured two additional weeks in Portugal. I did a bit of cheap shopping after I arrived in Santiago at H&M, so had no need to bring a suitcase to Spain, in addition to my backpack.

Speaking only of a day to day walk from SJPP to Santiago, I was 78 when I walked with a 5.5 Kg pack--everything I needed. I never had the desire or felt the need for baggage transport.
I never understood why some used baggage transport but their Camino was their Camino and not mine so I never judged. Although with some I was tempted to.
I still do not understand.
I clicked other. The question could have been better worded.

I have not used transport since my first camino... one day because someone included my bags with a group without asking and I had to follow it to destination (yuck!), and one day because I was nursing bad tendinitis in the knee.
But here is what I observe about the camino. It is very bimodal; there are not a lot of people in their 40's and 50's as compared to new university grads, and newly retired folk.
The young don't often need or want baggage transport -- unless they overdo it and have an injury. But as more and more in the "very grey" population consider going on their first (perhaps only) walk, I am seeing them signing up for more assisted packages that include baggage transport. Maybe it's fear of the unknown, maybe it's moderate mobility issues...
I won't hesitate to use transport regularly if my spinal arthritis gets to a point of not handling a backpack while my feet and legs remain able.

I used Correos for the entire 40 days of my Camino. I did so for a few of reasons listed in the survey but in the end it came down to that is what felt like the best choice for me. I don’t regret it at all and I don’t think it really matters why someone chooses this option. I think everyone should be free to do what they think is best for them without needing to justify it or being looked down upon for it.

Sorry if the question was not clear. It was about day to day luggage transport.
Baggage required for a longer 'post Camino' trip I had assumed would be sent from the start point, direct to the finish point.

Robo, you know that we have a strong forum tradition of roundly criticizing any poll or survey design. 🤣 ;)

I would start by asking what you mean by "undertaking a Camino using luggage transport." I used luggage transport once out of a couple hundred camino days. Does this count? Most of your reasons could apply to that one occasion. Do you mean to include those who ship something to Ivar for use after the camino, or only those who send their packs day-to-day? When does "physically very difficult" become "physically unable"?

I don't see that you'll be able to draw any conclusions from the poll, but I suppose we can never have too many discussions about the pros and cons of luggage transport! :rolleyes:
I take your point.
But even if you only used it for one day, you had your reasons. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Correos for the entire 40 days of my Camino. I did so for a few of reasons listed in the survey but in the end it came down to that is what felt like the best choice for me. I don’t regret it at all and I don’t think it really matters why someone chooses this option. I think everyone should be free to do what they think is best for them without needing to justify it or being looked down upon for it.

As I said, no judgements.
Just curious...... ;)

Your survey is missing one important choice.

On my second Camino, I walked infrequently with a young married couple who were only wearing day packs. Then one evening, all three of us were checking into the same hotel at the exact same time. To my dismay, they were forwarding from accommodation to accommodation seven full size suitcases (e.g., the ones that must be checked at the airport). When I ran across them the next day, the wife explained that she would, "just die if one of my girlfriends saw me wearing the same outfit twice" in any of her pictures that she was posting on Facebook.

So, there is that.

Last edited:
I take your point.
But even if you only used it for one day, you had your reasons. ;)
I was also a bit confused, because I never used the service for a whole camino (And that's how I understood the question). But I used it for 3 days in one camino, so responded accordingly... injury, in our case.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m just a little miffed that there is an undercurrent of distain from the Camino family that using luggage transport somehow diminishes the camino experience. Well without transport I would not be able to participate. I’m 78 with some respiratory issues that require medical equipment transport. I walk with a day pack and have my single duffle bag transported. Without this I called not participate. yes, would I have loved to ealk it without transpor, yes definitely. But being able to walk it is the goal. For me it is an accomplishment equal or better than those carrying their packs. They have youth and health. A terrific advantage over those that do not. It’s not a level playing field.

I just got to Burgos, it’s summer. Everyone I’ve met along the way has too much stuff. Bare minimum packing list would be much lighter than what I’m seeing ppl carry on their backs. I haven’t met a luggage transfer person yet bc they probably don’t stay at the same albergues. Quién sabe!
One side benefit for those of us who always carry our own bags... there are probably well known albergues/hostals where most of them have their bag sent, which leaves the little out-of-the-way places for the rest of us.

No objections to using luggage transport, it creates employment and pumps money into an economy that needs both. I don't do it because I am simply too tight with my money and enjoy the glow of virtuous achievement and sense of superiority it gives me. :)However, please think before you send your pack to a public albergue, e.g. municipal, paroquial or association-run. In fact, preferably don't.
Number 1 reason, as DoughnutNZ has illustrated in a current thread, your pack is not safe. Many of these albergues are not staffed all day so your pack may be left unattended in a nearby bar or in the street outside.
Number 2, these albergues are often cramped and if you have a large suitcase or bag, you are taking up precious shared space.
Number 3, the big one. You are creating extra work for the hospitalero who may be a volunteer or at best not well-paid. They work 16 hours a day and the time from around 10.30 (when they finish cleaning) to 1 o'clock (when they open up) is their only down time. This is also when the transport companies come around to collect or pick up bags. It is unfair to expect the hospi to hang around handling and taking responsibility for your luggage.

Please only send luggage to reserved accommodation.

FYI, Hosvol, which runs or staffs several, donativo albergues, has just informed its volunteers not to accept transported luggage, i.e. they accept pilgrims without discrimination regardless of what they are using to carry their stuff, but not unaccompanied bags, suitcases or backpacks.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We recently returned from our first two week stretch on the Frances, and we’ll definitely return to finish later. I have a congenital heart defect. I started out carrying my pack for the first week or so, until my body started wearing down. After that, I carried it on the good days and sent it ahead on the bad days, or on days we couldn’t shorten our stages. I was glad the option was there and I’ll do the same next time.

I did receive some grief about it along the way though, people casually telling me what I should or should not be doing. That was hard and brought me to tears more than once. My heart defect is definitely not visible, and I didn’t necessarily want to tell people about it. However, I found myself preemptively doing so to avoid the judgment. I actually had one person tell me I should wear a sign on my back so people knew why I was so slow. 🙄

I learned from that, it was part of my Camino, but I hope I never jump to conclusions about how others choose to walk.

My day pack with wet weather gear, lunch, water, and first-aid kit is already around 5kgs. I endured around 10 days of tendinitis the first time I did the Camino Frances and I was so pleased that my day pack was all that I had to carry each of those days. On my recent Camino Podiensis, I once again got tendinitis on my other leg and was again so pleased that I was using Malle Poste. As much as I would love to carry everything, the extra few kilograms on an already hurting body would be an 'end of Camino' scenario instead of a soldier on and endure possibility. I am so thankful that Jacotrans and Malle Poste, etc are there and offering a superb service.

We recently returned from our first two week stretch on the Frances, and we’ll definitely return to finish later. I have a congenital heart defect. I started out carrying my pack for the first week or so, until my body started wearing down. After that, I carried it on the good days and sent it ahead on the bad days, or on days we couldn’t shorten our stages. I was glad the option was there and I’ll do the same next time.

I did receive some grief about it along the way though, people casually telling me what I should or should not be doing. That was hard and brought me to tears more than once. My heart defect is definitely not visible, and I didn’t necessarily want to tell people about it. However, I found myself preemptively doing so to avoid the judgment. I actually had one person tell me I should wear a sign on my back so people knew why I was so slow. 🙄

I learned from that, it was part of my Camino, but I hope I never jump to conclusions about how others choose to walk.
Walk your own walk and be proud that you are doing so. You alone know your own body and what you can do. For some people, every step is full of pain and just walking a few kms a day is more than they can manage, while others can run the whole way with no problems and can't comprehend the struggle of others. You don't need to explain your journey to anybody or excuse yourself as no one has the right to make judgments about you and your journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry if the question was not clear. It was about day to day luggage transport.
Baggage required for a longer 'post Camino' trip I had assumed would be sent from the start point, direct to the finish point.
For some people, those experiences are to be found along the Camino. There are towns with excellent, hatted restaurants which require better clothes than hiking gear, and we took advantage of that opportunity while walking the Camino Podiensis a few weeks ago. Due to having tendinitis last time, I had planned to use luggage transport this time (thank God that I did) and so we could add nice shoes, a coat and tie for my husband and a dress for me.

I am sure wealthier pilgrims had transport and possibly rode on transport animals. It is still more costly to do pack transport today and you must stay in private accomodation.
We know that Aymeric Picaud who wrote the Codex Calixtinus used a horse as he mentions his horse drinking the salty waters at the river near Cirauqui and dying, and that Basques living nearby would lay in wait to skin the dead horses of the pilgrims. I don't know if the horses mentioned were for riding, as pack horses, or both, but it implies that pilgrims routinely used horses, as did he, and puts paid to any conceit that to be a true pilgrim you have to walk carrying all of your worldly goods on your back!

David, it is known that horses were used. Aymeric Picaud wrote about his and mentions other pilgrim's horses so it is documented and not just supposition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
However, I found myself preemptively doing so to avoid the judgment. I actually had one person tell me I should wear a sign on my back so people knew why I was so slow.

Yeah those people are rather insufferable. Also…a sign on your back? To think that your walking speed is anyone else’s business—so sorry about that.

I’m also a slow walker and tend to huff and puff up hills. The amount of “are you ok?” I got from passerbys drove me nuts after awhile. Once is fine, but multiple times? Forcing me to stop and tell you yes, I’m fine, please carry on. I know it comes from a good place, but also leave me be.

I also developed very bad bronchitis after my first day and was forced to take a 10 day break. When I got back on the path, I was verrrrryyy slow and could only handle about 10-13 km a day. I found myself “explaining” to others my short days, just to avoid any potential judgement or raised eyebrows. There are a lot of folks on the camino racing others, and racing against themselves.

Observing other people’s conversations, it was easy to glean their opinions on slow walkers, or my favorite, in La Faba I overheard some man say “what is it with these people who take ‘rest days’? I haven’t had a rest day since I started”. 🙄 He did everything but chest bump the guy he was talking to.

As I get older and my body changes, I’ll probably switch to transferring my pack, but until that day comes I’ll carry it, come hell or high water - even if that means my days are shorter.

I have no regrets and was able to immerse myself in the Camino in a way that I wouldn’t have carrying a large pack.
Huh? (puzzled...)
I feel the same way and I do not use pack transfer, anymore. I did on my first camino because I was joining a friend who had arranged the walk through a camino tour company, and didn't know better. But never since, in 7 caminos.

They are utterly different experiences and in my experience walking with a pack and not booking ahead (unless absolutely necessary) is much more immersive, much less isolating.

I’m just a little miffed that there is an undercurrent of distain from the Camino family that using luggage transport somehow diminishes the camino experience
I have no distain for those who use transfer services out of medical necessity. This kind of thing though...another story altogether:
When I ran across them the next day, the wife explained that she would, "just die if one of my girlfriends saw me wearing the same outfit twice" in any of her pictures that she was posting on Facebook.
It's sad, what people can get sucked into.
Image is all.

Last edited:
Of all the things I can get worked up about in this imperfect world, whether people carry a bag or not is so far down the scale it doesn't even register. I'll save my worries for something important, maybe what I'm eating tonight.

They are utterly different experiences and in my experience walking with a pack and not booking ahead (unless absolutely necessary) is much more immersive, much less isolating.
This makes no sense to me at all. People who ship a bag or book accommodations ahead walk the same path, stop at the same bars, and interact with the largely the same people as those who don’t do those things.

I will admit that staying entirely in prebooked private accommodations, as I did, can be seen as isolating, But that was a choice I consciously made given my needs as an introvert who needs that kind of space. I can see how for a more extroverted person that would not be a good choice.

I continue to say that what is best for you cannot be assumed to be best for everyone as we all have different needs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This makes no sense to me at all.
I've experienced both, and they're different universes. (I'm also pretty introverted, hardly one to join - or even understand - a 'Camino family.' No thanks!)

I continue to say that what is best for you cannot be assumed to be best for everyone as we all have different needs.
Of course. Very true.
But those who only know one kind of experience won't know for sure if the other's not best for them without trying both.

I might add that my Camino wouldn’t have happened if I’d had to carry a pack. I’m simply not in that kind of condition, but I wanted—needed, even—the Camino experience. And isn’t that what it’s ultimately about? I sense superiority in some voices about how they accomplished their Camino. Please, don’t taint this. Don’t make how we walk, or carry, or where we stay contentious. I was and am so grateful to have had this experience, and I cherish it in spite of my short walk, pre-booked accommodations, and luggage transport. It was never about how I did it, but simply that I was able to.

For some, the Camino is a time of reflection, to meet new friends, or just to enjoy the walk and scenery. It’s not a punishment. If you can afford the baggage service have at it. My wife and I use the services both segments we walked. I’ve seen to many walkers just struggling with their heavy sack. Stopping often to readjust with a sharp heave of the shoulders. How enjoyable is that.

I do want to say that it is a different Camino. As volunteers, we see almost exclusively pilgrims carrying their own packs. I meet only a few who aren't while at the albergue. I have an opportunity to know them, cook for them, care for them. I don't see those pilgrims who are shipping and staying in private accommodations so until this year, I didn't realize the differences. It was a surprise to me and as I have always carried my own bag

When I had to switch to a bag service for my husband so we could continue to walk together, it was a different experience. We met fewer people and were more isolated. I had to think the day before about where we could stay the next day and where his bag could be delivered. In some cases, after we decided on a place we found his bag could not be delivered there so had to change reservations, etc. With more time on the phone and online. I didn't like it. It left me with less autonomy to make my own way. I had more worries. I couldn't stay in the kind of places I liked best. I couldn't just let the day roll and make my own decisions in the moment.

Each person must decide. If our Camino becomes a bag shipping one from now on, it will diminish my joy, but I love Phil and if it the only way we can participate together, then that's just how it will have to be.

For me it has been easy to book everything ahead of time on booking.com, especially since I have walked with my son alone, but we still carried our own packs so did not have to concern ourselves about where we chose to stay; if those places accepted luggage transport. I have no regrets doing my three most recent Caminos "my way". It is true we have less interaction in general with other people now unless a bigger effort is made by us, which has happened a number of times.
The two times we have walked the Camino Frances in the past, there was no problem meeting and enjoying the company of others. We winged it and stayed the majority in albergues and had many communal dinners, which were a plus. OTOH, I did not go on any of my Caminos with the hopes of meeting new friends, yet I did unintentionally, and have several of them that I still meet up with occasionally and thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie we share.

My motto is "It's all good", whatever choice each person decides. If things don't work out the way they anticipated and choose to walk the Camino paths again, they can do it differently second time around. There is no "best way" for everyone and "one size does not fit all".

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It would have been interesting to have a choice of ..."Do not and have not transferred"
I am curious as to the number/percentage of people who now tranfer their packs/luggage.
The posts here on the forum give the impression that most people now do not carry a pack on a daily basis.

It is difficult to determine as anyone who posts their own choice to carry a pack is quickly attacked as "judgemental" as a defensive mechanism by those who transfer. It seems that "judgemental" is now used freely to "judge" anyone with a different choice or opinion.

Just my opinion, of course. ;)

It is difficult to determine as anyone who posts their own choice to carry a pack is quickly attacked as "judgemental" as a defensive mechanism by those who transfer. It seems that "judgemental" is now used freely to "judge
This seems to becoming very true...on both sides. I have enjoyed carrying my own pack on my caminos, but if the day comes when I can no longer do it; so be it. I will be willing to transport it with no feeling of failure; and hopefully with no judgement from others.

Maybe someone (Rob?) could post another simple poll:

1. I do not transfer my pack on a regular basis
2. I use luggage transfer on a regular basis due to physical/medical reason
3. I use luggage transfer on a regular basis
4. I use a Pack
5. I use a suitcase of some type.

I’m just a little miffed that there is an undercurrent of distain from the Camino family that using luggage transport somehow diminishes the camino experience. Well without transport I would not be able to participate. I’m 78 with some respiratory issues that require medical equipment transport. I walk with a day pack and have my single duffle bag transported. Without this I called not participate. yes, would I have loved to ealk it without transpor, yes definitely. But being able to walk it is the goal. For me it is an accomplishment equal or better than those carrying their packs. They have youth and health. A terrific advantage over those that do not. It’s not a level playing field.
Good for you @quahog. Walking a Camino at an advanced age and with respiratory issues is an achievement. Many would not attempt it. Congratulations on pursuing your passion

I have a degenerative spinal condition and at the time of my Camino had lost five centimetres in height, since then another 2.5 centimetres. This does cause pain but I carried my backpack for around the first half and then one day I got to my accommodation and was in such pain I could hardly get my pack off. So the next day had it transported- no guilt at all. After that I had it transported as and when I felt I needed to and by the last ten days it was pretty much daily (except the last day of course!). People do what people need (or want) to do, there is no wrong or right. BTW, can I point out back in the heyday of the Camino 700 odd years ago many rich people paid for others to walk the full Camino, often from their home towns (Not SJPP or Sarria) as their penance for their sins. Nothing new in this world

I am not sure why anyone who has physical or medical reasons for using transport feels it necessary to explain. I have never (in over 15 years on this forum) heard anyone make a disparaging remark about anyone with a need using a luggage transport.

The implication that anyone here is judging those who need transport is simply not true and never has been.

VNwalking said:

This makes no sense to me at all. People who ship a bag or book accommodations ahead walk the same path, stop at the same bars, and interact with the largely the same people as those who don’t do those things.

I will admit that staying entirely in prebooked private accommodations, as I did, can be seen as isolating, But that was a choice I consciously made given my needs as an introvert who needs that kind of space. I can see how for a more extroverted person that would not be a good choice.

From how I read it, VNwalking did not disparage anyone for their choice. She said that she was speaking about her own experience.

I'm very glad that pack transfer services are available and flexible, not needing advance booking and organisation. They are vital in making walking or finishing a camino possible for many.

But as well as the flexibility that other posters have referred to, there are other advantages to carrying ones own pack which I think are under-recognised and which may not be taken into account by those thinking about how to do their camino.

People here often say "don't pack your fears". If you are carrying your stuff yourself there is a reason to keep the weight down, and that means it is less likely that you will carry the the back up items, the familiar brands and the "can't do without" items which are often representative of those fears. Which is liberating.

And if carrying yourself means carrying less (which isn't true for everyone) you may discover the sheer joy of living a very simple life. And, if you are so minded, gratitude for being able to replace or augment the two outfits that you have been wearing and washing turn and turn about for however long you walked.

I'm very glad that pack transfer services are available and flexible, not needing advance booking and organisation. They are vital in making walking or finishing a camino possible for many.

But as well as the flexibility that other posters have referred to, there are other advantages to carrying ones own pack which I think are under-recognised and which may not be taken into account by those thinking about how to do their camino.

People here often say "don't pack your fears". If you are carrying your stuff yourself there is a reason to keep the weight down, and that means it is less likely that you will carry the the back up items, the familiar brands and the "can't do without" items which are often representative of those fears. Which is liberating.

And if carrying yourself means carrying less (which isn't true for everyone) you may discover the sheer joy of living a very simple life. And, if you are so minded, gratitude for being able to replace or augment the two outfits that you have been wearing and washing turn and turn about for however long you walked.
I hear that. At the same time, there’s a liberation in being unburdened as well. I carry a heavy load in my work life. To be free of concern over the weight of my belongings on the Camino was a huge gift to me. I met more than enough people—my work requires that I’m “on” most of the time, and my relative isolation was restorative. Each day I knew in advance where I’d lay my head that night, lifting yet another burden and removing that anxiety. All of this worked together and enabled me to walk with an unburdened mind, which I believe helped me to be more open and receptive to the experience of pilgrim. It was just what I needed.

We all walk a different Camino. What I call a burden is someone else’s blessing. What one sees as isolation another sees as a pause to refresh. There is no one way to be a pilgrim, no right way, no wrong way. Just different ways. May we each embrace our individual pilgrimage.

I can't recall if I answered on this thread. I answered somewhere and didn't follow a rule and my post was deleted, so here it is again.

When Joe and I travel alone without our group, we carry our own packs.
When we take a group, I hire transport.

However, if I go this coming Spring I MAY hire transport (depending on the route we walk) because I fell and have a complete tear of my rotator cuff and whether or not I get surgery, I don't think I"ll be carrying a pack.

I like the liberty of carrying my pack and knowing I don’t have to stop where the shipping destination says I am stopping. But I am truly puzzled by claims that suggest that being more isolated on camino is a bad or undesirable thing *in general*…. Maybe it is not what a given individual would seek, but if for at least a good chunk of us the camino is a badly needy mobile *retreat*, then being “isolated” is a thing to be pursued, not avoided.
Among my favourite aspects of my recent Salvador is that I walked entirely alone, and that there were never more than 10 people around for meals… sometimes fewer.
I walked on 3 days for a little bit of each day with different people: a woman from France, a man from La Mancha who was a civil servant and able to tell me lots of less obvious things about life in Espana desnuda… and two Polish men with whom the only common language for us to use was Spanish . But on the 5 days that I walked I had my first day entirely alone, and my last entirely alone… and plenty of silence for finally hearing what keeps calling me back (aside from my absolute love of the North-West of Spain).

Those asking about it… don’t be dissuaded about a practice on ground that it might be “isolating”. As silent retreats a demonstrate to us, sometimes what we most need is not to be in the cognitively demanding space of socializing (especially with near strangers).

I had hauled my own belongings entirely in 2006, 2008, 2009 and part way through 2010. In 2010, I was beginning to develop some knee issues so I succumbed to being a luggage transport user with about 3 or 4 stages left, not wishing to chance BIG problems happening with one or both knees. I walked a minimum route on the Portuguese in 2011 and carried all gear. The next time I walked, 2014, I got to Orrisson and said to myself, "that's it, I'll use transport services." No regrets! Didn't feel like a failure, was just feeling my age! I've used transport in 2017, 2019, 2022 and this year with no regrets. In 2017, I did the Jesus Trail in Israel, part of the Via Francigena in Italy and the Finisterre/Muxia route in Spain with just a few days for transport between each of those trails. Would not have been able to do it without the help of transport- bless them! At nearly 76 years of age, I don't want to stop participating in this type of activity just yet-- it seems necessary that I have baggage transport in order to continue participating. I also have family and friends living in Spain, France and Italy. Therefore at times, my motives for hiking are multiple, thus the need for a few more items than normally recommended to carry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Those asking about it… don’t be dissuaded about a practice on ground that it might be “isolating”. As silent retreats a demonstrate to us, sometimes what we most need is not to be in the cognitively demanding space of socializing (especially with near strangers).
I consider myself an ambivert; a person who is in-between an introvert and an exrovert.
I do not particularly like large crowds, but do enjoy small talk or meaningful conversation with a few folks at a time on the Camino. I do not think I would like being isolated and walking alone day after day; not encountering any one else to share a meal or comment on a lovely view.

I would have thought that hikers (if long-distance hikers) are used to carrying everything and therefore less likely to use baggage transfer but pilgrims (perhaps wrongly not used to multiday walking) would be more inclined to have their bag transferred. But there again I could easily argue the other way! Or is it that more people walking the Camino have more available cash than previously?
You could be right in that thinking.
In my mid 60's I still do multi day wilderness walks, so used to a pack around the 20kg mark.
My pack for this year's Camino was only 5.8 kg, so it felt like a joy to carry it!
I can't see myself using a transfer service, but we never know what the future may bring. 😏🙂

I ticked "Other" on the survey. I carry a small pack of 5 kilos so have no problem carrying it for the whole Camino, On my last Camino, three days out from Leon, the stitching on my very old pack gave out and I was not able to keep the contents contained. For the next three days I wrapped a plastic bag around my pack and had it transported to the next stop. When I got to Leon, I bought another pack and carried on as usual. Had it not been for the availability of a luggage transfer system I would have had to carry everything in a large plastic bag over my shoulder for three days which would not have been very convenient. Thank goodness for the luggage transfer system.

Luggage Transport seems to be growing in popularity
One possible reason is that the actual number of pilgrims has grown so there may be a numerical but not proportional increase. Another possible reason is that either the average age or disposable income of pilgrims has increased, The availability of pack transfer (and the number of routes where it is provided) is yet another possible reason. In other words it may be that the increase has nothing whatsoever with the motivation or attitude of camino walkers. Given that English speakers are quite a small minority of pilgrims (around 10% I believe) and people who post on the forum are a minority within a minority, we are unlikely to learn very much by posing the question here although we may learn why some of us have our packs transported and some of us don´t. The important thing is to stay away from discussing whether one should or should not have one´s bag transported. If we can manage that, we can keep the thread open.

I consider myself an ambivert; a person who is in-between an introvert and an exrovert.
I do not particularly like large crowds, but do enjoy small talk or meaningful conversation with a few folks at a time on the Camino. I do not think I would like being isolated and walking alone day after day; not encountering any one else to share a meal or comment on a lovely view.
Or... one might be surprised by how much freedom there is in not being distracted by others. The pilgrimage routes are very social, but are not inherently social; they are inherently cultural (in the broadest sense of both symbolic and material culture). There may be an element of what the Turner's referred to as 'communitas' that develops between pilgrims and is already there along the ways, sustained by the cultural ethos that is symbiotic with such routes... but, even if I cherish every friend I have made on my caminos, I would never have struck out on one had I encountered a forum (virtual or otherwise) that suggested that isolation on the way was somehow not optimal.

No judgement from me.

Added.
Perhaps with the evolution of transport services, the Camino is now more doable to those who may never have considered taking on the challenge because of needing to carry their pack. Statistics are definitely showing a rise in the number of pilgrims!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No judgement from me.

Added.
Myself and my girls age 11 and 14 all carried our own bags but my right shoulder is aching and I wud consider luggage transfer

In Spring of 2018 I was forced to abort my Camino due to an injury. I returned (where I left off - Logrono) Fall of 2019. Had I not had this option, I would have not completed Camino Frances. It was affordable at 5€.

My husband and I walked the CP March/April and used luggage transport the entire way just for convenience and ease. I would probably use luggage transport again for the ease and convenience of not having to carry a pack. I’m not saying we are well off because we used a luggage transfer company but I think the well off pilgrims back in the day probably used some sort of luggage transport whether someone carried their items or they used a donkey. I volunteered at the pilgrim’s office checking pilgrim’s passports and giving out the Compostelas. I saw all kinds of reasons to walk the Camino. I believe there is no wrong way to walk the Camino, the Camino is your way and no one else’s.
Buen Camino🥾
Did you pre book your rooms? How did you know where to have your bag sent? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trecile: [[This year while on the Norte I came across a town at 9:30 in the morning after I'd walked only about half of my normal daily distance and just felt like I'd like to stay there, so I did! I wasn't under pressure to walk to where my luggage was. It was one of the most enjoyable days on my Camino this year.]]

Exactamente. One of the real joys on the Camino for me is spontaneously being able to stop and stay in a wonderful little village where I got talking to one of the locals or just thought I wanted to stay longer and not just walk through. Some of my best stories come from those unplanned experiences, too. It would be very stressful to me to know that all my stuff has been sent to a certain place and I HAD to walk and stay there. Like having a work deadline. But nobody should have to meet anybody else's expectations or choices on the Camino if it doesn't affect anybody else. It's just baffling to me when I feel judgment from somebody who seems to think I'm not walking far enough or fast enough, for example.

I am not saying that I am not terribly judgmental, because I am and it's one of my biggest faults. But just not about this kind of competitive walking thing. I was getting over a cold once and had foot pain and did use the pack transfer system on a hilly section and it was really freeing. The main reason I don't make a habit of it is that it inhibits my ability to change my mind about where I'm going to walk to or stay that night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a degenerative spinal condition and at the time of my Camino had lost five centimetres in height, since then another 2.5 centimetres. This does cause pain but I carried my backpack for around the first half and then one day I got to my accommodation and was in such pain I could hardly get my pack off. So the next day had it transported- no guilt at all. After that I had it transported as and when I felt I needed to and by the last ten days it was pretty much daily (except the last day of course!). People do what people need (or want) to do, there is no wrong or right. BTW, can I point out back in the heyday of the Camino 700 odd years ago many rich people paid for others to walk the full Camino, often from their home towns (Not SJPP or Sarria) as their penance for their sins. Nothing new in this world
Can you please tell what company did you use to transfer your pack

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.