• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hunters and Hikers

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
(Edited to make clearer). I’m “hunting” for an answer to a big concern for me and “am game” for helpful suggestions. We recently hiked through areas with many nearby gunshots over several days on the Via Podiensis. I thought we wouldn’t have a problem this April as it’s not hunting season but that wasn’t the case. The gite owners said farmers were permitted to shoot wild boar any time of the year as they damage crops and also shoot birds eating newly sown fields. What I am looking for is suggestions for a Fall Camino. All the guns this time really freaked me out and put added stress on the walk. To avoid gunshots, unnerving hikes and potential accidents, we’re thinking maybe the Portugues or Norte routes, as they are coastal? Any other trails in any other countries? Kind thoughts and suggestions please.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m not interested in an argument about sport hunting,
Your question got a bit lost in the block of text about sport hunting, but I think you are looking for suggestions for a fall Camino where there will be little or no hunting, and are wondering if this might be the case on the Portugués or the Norte.

I walked the Camino Frances in the fall before and encountered hunters along the route. Not that big a deal and I never felt as though I was in danger. I would greet them with a good morning and just move on down the road. It's much ado about nothing to be concerned about it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All the guns this time really freaked me out and put added stress on the walk. I really feared getting hit by stray bullets as the shots were frequent, close by…and I was an inner city ER nurse so have seen my share of bullet damage.
I’ve walked through France when it was springtime and know the feeling. I am familiar with the damage that wild boars cause to crops. I understand that you talked with gîte owners.

Still, I wonder wether the shots you heard were gunshots. I know it sounds like gunshots but it is usually noise produced by devices to scare away birds and to protect seeds and seedlings.

I also understand that you are asking about autumn and how likely it is to walk in an area where a group hunt is going on which is more likely in autumn then in spring.

For France hunting is allowed is specified periods, days and regions. There's a website and app with the info.

If (IF!) that includes an area with established paths and roads, there will be signs and warnings. Most of the hunting parties (sometimes literally a party with drinks involved) are on the weekend. But still, even though horrible accidents have happened, this also created more awareness and stricter rules to gain and keep a hunting permit and most hunters take their job and responsibility seriously. There is some pushback to have at least one of the weekend days free from hunting, but that's still up for discussion.

In autumn I generally watch where I'm going and will make sure that I'm wearing bright colours nonetheless.

Two anecdotes:
- while walking with a friend on a part of the UTMB we heard shots and came upon a few hunters. We chatted a bit and they reassured us. A few kilometers later we ended up on a trailhead where they had their "camp" and were invited for some wine and charcuterie.

- while walking alone on the Col de Simplon (Simplonpass) I arrived up a big scale training exercise of the Swiss Army, with soldiers on guard at trail heads. They left a corridor for my trail (a popular tru hike over the Swiss cols) and it was somewhat disconcerting to walk next to a battlefield with tanks and the like. I did walk just a tad quicker!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m “hunting” for an answer to a big concern for me and “am game” for helpful suggestions. I’ve posted a lot the past couple of days as we just finished the Via Podiensis. We split the GR65 into thirds and hiked Spring 2022, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023. I don’t remember much of an issue on the first stretch from Le Puy to Figeac. The fall trip was on the Cele Variant and we met a bunch of bird hunters one day and it was pretty uncomfortable as they were literally on the trail in orange vests, shooting off to the right. I “shot off” down the trail, pretty much running at a good pace for quite a while. I thought we wouldn’t have a problem this April as it’s not hunting season but there were so many gunshots on many days. The gite owners said farmers were permitted to shoot wild boar any time of the year as they damage crops and one was really upset because hunters had been on her property and she was worried about her safety. One lady ironing at home had been killed by a hunter with bad aim. She said she saw a young boar, terrified and chased by a pack of hunting dogs tear into her property and she felt so bad because she knew it would be a horrific death. Others said farmers were shooting birds who were eating newly sown grain fields. And another said sadly that there were no rabbits or squirrels or pheasants left in her area because they had all been killed. So…I’m not interested in an argument about sport hunting, or the pros/cons or carnivores vs. vegans (I am vegan, by the way…that was interesting in rural France) so scroll on by rather than start that argument. What I am looking for is suggestions for a Fall Camino. All the guns this time really freaked me out and put added stress on the walk. I really feared getting hit by stray bullets as the shots were frequent, close by…and I was an inner city ER nurse so have seen my share of bullet damage. We’re thinking maybe the Portugues coastal would have less possibility of experiencing hunting first hand again? Or maybe the Norte? Any other trails in any other countries? Kind thoughts and suggestions please.
We have walked the Frances, Portugese from Lisbon and the Norte. All in the fall. On all we were around hunters shooting at particular times. Maybe the time of year.

One lady ironing at home had been killed by a hunter with bad aim. She said she saw a young boar, terrified and chased by a pack of hunting dogs tear into her property and she felt so bad because she knew it would be a horrific death.
Am I misreading this? Presumably she didn't say this after she was killed. She was sorry for the expected fate of the boar unaware of what was in store for her herself?

Your question got a bit lost in the block of text about sport hunting, but I think you are looking for suggestions for a fall Camino where there will be little or no hunting, and are wondering if this might be the case on the Portugués or the Norte.
Exactly, I just didn’t want people starting a fight about hunting vs not hunting, carnivore vs vegan, etc. I edited it to make it more clear.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For France hunting is allowed is specified periods, days and regions. There's a website and app with the info.

If (IF!) that includes an area with established paths and roads, there will be signs and warnings. Most of the hunting parties (sometimes literally a party with drinks involved) are on the weekend. But still, even though horrible accidents have happened, this also created more awareness and stricter rules to gain and keep a hunting permit and most hunters take their job and responsibility seriously. There is some pushback to have at least one of the weekend days free from hunting, but that's still up for discussion.

In autumn I generally watch where I'm going and will make sure that I'm wearing bright colours nonetheless.

Two anecdotes:
- while walking with a friend on a part of the UTMB we heard shots and came upon a few hunters. We chatted a bit and they reassured us. A few kilometers later we ended up on a trailhead where they had their "camp" and were invited for some wine and charcuterie.

- while walking alone on the Col de Simplon (Simplonpass) I arrived up a big scale training exercise of the Swiss Army, with soldiers on guard at trail heads. They left a corridor for my trail (a popular tru hike over the Swiss cols) and it was somewhat disconcerting to walk next to a battlefield with tanks and the like. I did walk just a tad quicker!

Thank you for the info.

Am I misreading this? Presumably she didn't say this after she was killed. She was sorry for the expected fate of the boar unaware of what was in store for her herself?
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. We stayed in a gorgeous rural gite outside Auvillar. There were so many close gunshots as we walked that day. When we arrived at the gite, we started talking about the safety of walking around hunters and she told us a local community member was shot by errant hunting gunshots while she was ironing in her house. That same owner told us the boar story. Sorry I wasn’t clear, simply looking for an area to hike without hunting…in any European country…but I doubt such a thing exists.

We have walked the Frances, Portugese from Lisbon and the Norte. All in the fall. On all we were around hunters shooting at particular times. Maybe the time of year.
Thanks, that’s the info I’m looking for. I was hoping maybe the Norte or Coastal Portuguese would have less hunting if they were on the coast.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Those Spanish hunters near the Camino. It's THEIR country. Buen Camino
I’m aware and respectful of cultural differences, especially when traveling. Just trying to stay away from something I am wary of, for safety reasons. It was France, by the way.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't have your answer - but I didn't encounter any hunters along the Norte (and don't recall signage about hunting - but that doesn't mean anything if I wasn't paying attention and making a mental note), but I did hear them near the Frances - sometime in the first week - can't remember where. I do recall seeing signs in that area about hunting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had a blaze orange buff with me. I mainly used it when I was hiking next to a road. But, it would work if you think there are hunters nearby.

I had a blaze orange buff with me. I mainly used it when I was hiking next to a road. But, it would work if you think there are hunters nearby.
Good suggestion, thank you. I’ve been looking online for bright quick dry shirts, too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I shoot; and I’m fairly comfortable around most types of shooting, which is generally well-disciplined and carried out by people who know the ground and the presence of footpaths intimately - but I have a degree of nervousness around boar shooting. Generally they’ll be using rifles or shotgun with solid slug and shooting at a fast moving target flushed by dogs.

My bush-hat is reversible; Green and blaze-orange ( available in El Corte Inglés) and does get turned orange-side-out and I don’t hang around if I find a hunt in progress, although it’s usually concluded in the very early morning. Peregrinos are most likely to see hunting parties enjoying their breakfast when they’ve finished for the day.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back