• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Man publically jacking off and followed us slightly down the trail outside Tomar

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermountain

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese
About an hour ago, we (2 females) left Tomar and took the river route at the fork. Once we hit the dam there was a man with something covering his face and jacking off. I slightly noticed but then just looked ahead and kept walking. Once both trails join together and we went under the over pass and hid the river again we noticed he was on the other side of the river doing the same thing. This time I yelled at him and told him to fuck off and it was disgusting.
So far we haven’t seen him again and feel like it was just wanting to publically display himself.

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else in this area but a heads up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally agree with @truenorthpilgrm. Making a visit to a police station is not pleasant either, but pilgrims are really quite limited in what kind of actions they can take to contribute to an effort to end and/or punish this type of behavior.

The first time it happened to me on the camino was in 2000, and there has been a sea change in terms of public awareness and campaigns. I have found that the act of reporting it to the police and having someone in a position of authority take down my story helps to wash away the wave of repulsion and disgust that this kind of incident produces.

Hoping that you can continue to enjoy your camino, bom caminho, @MegwanSong!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
About an hour ago, we (2 females) left Tomar and took the river route at the fork. Once we hit the dam there was a man with something covering his face and jacking off. I slightly noticed but then just looked ahead and kept walking. Once both trails join together and we went under the over pass and hid the river again we noticed he was on the other side of the river doing the same thing. This time I yelled at him and told him to fuck off and it was disgusting.
So far we haven’t seen him again and feel like it was just wanting to publically display himself.

We had a guy in the woods jacking off and he let out a huge howl doing it… the day we walked into Tomar!

Please report to police.

In 2001, on CF I comforted a young French girl who’d witnessed the act.

Within days I witnessed the act. Still wonder if it was same guy.

Don’t let the act stop you or stifle your enjoyment of the way.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm so sorry that happened to you, it's revolting. I hope you managed to report it, as others have said this doesn't seem to be the first instance. The problem in these situations is wether or not his behaviour will start to escalate.

So sorry to hear this ! To be honest, I am not surprised. It has happened to me on 60 % of the Caminos I have walked in Spain and more so in Portugal.
I really believe it has become normalized. Yet having said this, I am now always on the lookout in quiet areas with camera and poles in position. I suppose I'm becoming immune. Madness I know.
Please report to police. Take good care and warn all female pilgrims you meet.
Cheers and YAY to you for telling him to *uck off and that he is disgusting !!
Bom caminho 🌟🌟🌹🌞🇨🇦

Last edited:
Please report. Is it just me or does it seem like there is more and more of these reports, especially in Portugal.
Every one is one more, and each one is reprehensible; but I don’t think the frequency has increased nor that they are more common in Portugal.

Every Peregrina who takes the time to make an official report is contributing to the common good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Every one is one more, and each one is reprehensible; but I don’t think the frequency has increased nor that they are more common in Portugal.

Every Peregrina who takes the time to make an official report is contributing to the common good.
Oh really has it also happened to you 6 times ??

Oh really has it also happened to you 6 times ??

This may not end well.

1. No. Once actually, but being male I’m probably less susceptible to this form of assault.

2. The post to which I replied doesn’t appear to be visible now, but IIRC was asking if the frequency was increasing and/or if it were more prevalent in Portugal than Spain.

I gave my opinion, based on no more than many years of seeing reports on here, so I don’t claim to be perfectly informed.

Your opinion may differ - and whilst I utterly condemn any act of aggression - I really don’t care what your opinion is, any more than you should care about mine. Can you cite some authenticated data?

This may not end well.

1. No. Once actually, but being male I’m probably less susceptible to this form of assault.

2. The post to which I replied doesn’t appear to be visible now, but IIRC was asking if the frequency was increasing and/or if it were more prevalent in Portugal than Spain.

I gave my opinion, based on no more than many years of seeing reports on here, so I don’t claim to be perfectly informed.

Your opinion may differ - and whilst I utterly condemn any act of aggression - I really don’t care what your opinion is, any more than you should care about mine. Can you cite some authenticated data?
MOST women do NOT report this and as a male you have little idea !!! NOT an opinion it's from dreadful experiences on several Caminos mostly in Portugal ! This will not prevent from me going to Portugal. I find the Portuguese to be incredibly kind people especially the women !

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
MOST women do NOT report this and as a male you have little idea !!! NOT an opinion it's from dreadful experiences on several Caminos mostly in Portugal !!!! This will not prevent from me going to Portugal. I find the Portuguese to be incredibly kind people especially the women !

Even as a male I am (perhaps unusually) very aware that I cannot perceive or experience certain aspects of risk in the same way as a female can; nor am I as susceptible to some forms of assault.

I’ll leave it there as I don’t want to sidetrack the thread from outright condemnation of the reported event and the advice to report any and all similar assaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back