A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Hydrate in this heat!

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
14 August 2019 (SJPdP 16 August)
I know you've heard it before and I apologize. I just wanted to emphasize the heat wave the last couple days. I'm in Santo Domingo de la Calzada after a 20km day in 97F heat and no shade. Well, there were two trees within a few miles of each other, so more than a dozen of us would huddle in the little shady spot. I live in Arizona and many pilgrims figured I'd be used to the heat, but I have better sense than to hike in it. You know how it is though when the Camino calls!

Have plenty of water if you're about to walk out here. Stay safe.

Rich1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Frances (2016-2018)
A complicated Camino from Madrid (Aug/Sep 18)
Ditto - we are just before Puente La Reina and the last 2 days have been extraordinarily hot. Personally, I am amazed how people are stopping for extended periods then arriving at allergies late afternoon - it is getting hotter and hotter until about 4pm

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
In Spain, peak temperatures (and sun intensity) occur between about 13:00 and 17:00. Elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, peak temperatures occur between 10:00 and 14:00.

Those of us coming from outside Spain need to factor this into our daily plans. Personally, I recommend getting up just before first light, and starting to walk at sunrise, or shortly before.

If you get the free app, eltiempo.es+ these daylight times are provided for almost any named place in Spain, and most of Portugal too. In general, this means getting up at 06:00 and starting out by about 07:00. This works from April through September. Outside this date range, you may need to adjust the times a little.

Walking a pace of 4 km per hour, on average, gives you about 24 km of distance until 13:00. As noted above, this puts you at your destination just as the hottest time of the day arrives.

Of course, there are many variables that can affect this equation. Folks who walk longer distances may need more time. Those who walk slower will need more time. Hilly terrain will slow one down as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rich1

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Frances (2016-2018)
A complicated Camino from Madrid (Aug/Sep 18)
And that is pretty much exactly what we are doing 😁 Uterga to Villatuerga today 24km, left at 06.45, in at 13.45. Happy days

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
In Spain, peak temperatures (and sun intensity) occur between about 13:00 and 17:00. Elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, peak temperatures occur between 10:00 and 14:00.

Those who of us coming from outside Spain need to factor this into our daily plans. Personally, I recommend getting up just before first light, and starting to walk at sunrise, or shortly before.

If you get the free app, eltiempo.es+ these daylight times are provided for almost any named place in Spain, and most of Portugal too. In general, this means getting up at 06:00 and starting out by about 07:00. This works from April through September. Outside this date range, you may need to adjust the times a little.

Walking a pace of 4 km per hour, on average, gives you about 24 km of distance until 13:00. As noted above, this puts you at your destination just as the hottest time of the day arrives.

Of course, there are many variables that can affect this equation. Folks who walk longer distances may need more time. Those who walk slower will need more time. Hilly terrain will slow one down as well.

Hope this helps.
Just downloaded this app. I am definitely going to use this app when I walk in November. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
Ditto - we are just before Puente La Reina and the last 2 days have been extraordinarily hot. Personally, I am amazed how people are stopping for extended periods then arriving at allergies late afternoon - it is getting hotter and hotter until about 4pm
We arrived in Santo Domingo today at 3:30. We left at 0615 but we stopped at both trees to get some shade.
And that is pretty much exactly what we are doing 😁 Uterga to Villatuerga today 24km, left at 06.45, in at 13.45. Happy days
We have been leaving by 0530. In Arizona, USA, our peak hits around 1600 and we typically do things early in the summer heat.

Last edited:

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I would say "allergies" is a typo and you meant "albergues" ;)

If you are listening to your body there's absolutely nothing wrong with walking/coming to albergues in late afternoon. I always do my research (infrastructure, water sources etc.) and never ever had a before 8AM start and I rarely ended my daily stage before 3PM even in a 40C heat (2015 on Levante) without any shade and limited infrastructure. We are just different. And I like to make looong stops or as I say "I walk fast, but rest slowly" :D

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
I would say "allergies" is a typo and you meant "albergues" ;)

If you are listening to your body there's absolutely nothing wrong with walking/coming to albergues in late afternoon. I always do my research (infrastructure, water sources etc.) and never ever had a before 8AM start and I rarely ended my daily stage before 3PM even in a 40C heat (2015 on Levante) without any shade and limited infrastructure. We are just different. And I like to make looong stops or as I say "I walk fast, but rest slowly" :D
Agreed! Had I not stopped for rest in those rare shady spots and tried to just push through, I would have ended up in a bad way. Most of us those really hot couple days started out in the dark and still arrived at 1530 and beyond.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%