• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I did it- and feel like a winna!

GillianCelliers

Time of past OR future Camino
Unknown
I am 68 and walked solo Porto to Santiago. I got so much wrong, but so much right too. I had trained - somewhat.
I began 27 March in run up to Easter and walked into terrible weather on Coastal route. Poncho ripped in the 40 kms wind day one, wet clothes and wet feet every day. I had planned for sunny dry days and sitting on beautiful beaches. Bwah on my ideas!
There are no buts in this story. I made a plan when a plan was needed. I wore plastic bags in my trainers as I didn’t have hiking boots.
I saw a German lady wearing a black bin bag under her gear to stay dry. You go girl!
I wore the same leggings for 5 days straight as just didn’t have clothing for the bad weather.
T shirts became vests as needed. Some days same clothes got reused again. Layers mattered. A hostel hostess lent me dry clothes one really cold wet day and made us all dinner. That’s a big memory as you recognise your needs head on. She was brilliant.
I carried little- about 4 kgs as luggage service used to save hip and knee damage. I foraged as I found supermarkets. I wasn’t there to jol, I know how to feed myself. I met all nations, all hang ups, yes talked to all the dogs, fed my only apple to a horse, loved the chickens in the country villages, and the turkeys. Only the feathered kind in this.
My expectations were reasonable and I wasn’t disappointed. I had many lovely lovely hosts, an odd uncaring one, a place with no heating on one of the wettest days. I sat at a communal hostel table with 8 nationalities in 13 people. Wonderful hot water, limited hot water, the horror of upper bunks at my age, and I forgot the time, and the day. Tech got me all the way. Love it! When Portuguese sim card stopped working, bought a Spanish one. Make a plan- people help you. Here thanks goes to a little Peruvian nun who really was an Angel of tech support! When Spotify free stopped working googled it- time to pay. I ate out only 3 times in 17 days - once as needed energy fast, once as a little treat to sit in social space and feel who I was, and once because it was Sunday and supermarkets closed. And I didn’t go off the deep end. Economical and healthy. Except for all the pasta de nater- took many days to move on from them!

And then the sun shone - and at 11am on 12 April I walked into St James. Then I cried as the darling who spiritually walked with me was still and always will be dearly and deeply missed and I was finally here.
My walk was done, my sadness will never be.
I am happy with all that I experienced- from inadequate gear to what next can the weather and blisters do to me - I arrived unharmed, and glad with what I had been able to do.
If you have high expectations, if you feel the best gear matters- it can but it’s more than that, it’s what you need too. I don’t buy into the Camino will provide- it is hard and you have to step up. My walk could have collapsed for a million reasons,
With age and joints I probably will never do another Camino- and here’s the first but of my little story - but I did it.
In hindsight I enjoyed it.
The day after not getting up really early planning and packing and getting out walking was actually missed. I talked to animals, thought about family, listened to podcasts, or just listened to birds. There were few on this walk due to the weather. I lived a lot in the moment and the past, not much future to plan big at my age.
And I made it! It begins left foot right foot. Winna!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Gillian!
Thank you, thank you for this beautifully written and beautifully honest post. I loved reading about your Camino! Your open sensitivity to the world around you is apparent in every line of your wonderfully detailed account. And I am moved to hear about the loved one who was with you in spirit as you walked.
Thank you for sharing your Camino story. It gives me inspiration and serves as a reminder of the loving and eager heart I want to have on my own upcoming first pilgrimage.
Congratulations on your remarkable journey!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am 68 and walked solo Porto to Santiago. I got so much wrong, but so much right too. I had trained - somewhat.
I began 27 March in run up to Easter and walked into terrible weather on Coastal route. Poncho ripped in the 40 kms wind day one, wet clothes and wet feet every day. I had planned for sunny dry days and sitting on beautiful beaches. Bwah on my ideas!
There are no buts in this story. I made a plan when a plan was needed. I wore plastic bags in my trainers as I didn’t have hiking boots.
I saw a German lady wearing a black bin bag under her gear to stay dry. You go girl!
I wore the same leggings for 5 days straight as just didn’t have clothing for the bad weather.
T shirts became vests as needed. Some days same clothes got reused again. Layers mattered. A hostel hostess lent me dry clothes one really cold wet day and made us all dinner. That’s a big memory as you recognise your needs head on. She was brilliant.
I carried little- about 4 kgs as luggage service used to save hip and knee damage. I foraged as I found supermarkets. I wasn’t there to jol, I know how to feed myself. I met all nations, all hang ups, yes talked to all the dogs, fed my only apple to a horse, loved the chickens in the country villages, and the turkeys. Only the feathered kind in this.
My expectations were reasonable and I wasn’t disappointed. I had many lovely lovely hosts, an odd uncaring one, a place with no heating on one of the wettest days. I sat at a communal hostel table with 8 nationalities in 13 people. Wonderful hot water, limited hot water, the horror of upper bunks at my age, and I forgot the time, and the day. Tech got me all the way. Love it! When Portuguese sim card stopped working, bought a Spanish one. Make a plan- people help you. Here thanks goes to a little Peruvian nun who really was an Angel of tech support! When Spotify free stopped working googled it- time to pay. I ate out only 3 times in 17 days - once as needed energy fast, once as a little treat to sit in social space and feel who I was, and once because it was Sunday and supermarkets closed. And I didn’t go off the deep end. Economical and healthy. Except for all the pasta de nater- took many days to move on from them!

And then the sun shone - and at 11am on 12 April I walked into St James. Then I cried as the darling who spiritually walked with me was still and always will be dearly and deeply missed and I was finally here.
I am happy with all that I experienced- from inadequate gear to what next can the weather and blisters do to me - I arrived unharmed, and glad with what I had been able to do.
If you have high expectations, if you feel the best gear matters- it can but it’s more than that, it’s what you need too. I don’t buy into the Camino will provide- it is hard and you have to step up. My walk could have collapsed for a million reasons,
With age and joints I probably will never do another Camino- and here’s the first but of my little story - but I did it.
The day after not getting up really early planning and packing and getting out walking was actually missed. I talked to animals, thought about family, listened to podcasts, or just listened to birds. There were few on this walk due to the weather. I lived a lot in the moment and the past, not much future to plan big at my age.
Your first post deserves a compostela in itself! As Rabbie Burns might have said, had he come across you - Weel done, Cutty Sark!
Safe travels home, and who knows, you might squeeze in another wee camino...👣

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

You WILL be back!

You are a winner! Congrats. I begin my CP in 3 weeks from Porto as well. I’m 67, my husband 69. I’m a bit anxious due to bad knees but we’ll give it a go. Cheers

Wow, such beautiful words!! In a few moments reading this you took me back to my time on the Camino including the tears that I had when I walked into the plaza.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Reading your post made me laugh and then I cried. I love your journey, attitude and thoughts to pen. May you continue your life’s journey with the same spirit and spirit walking beside you. You are a beautiful soul and I hope you continue to write.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You have years ahead of you…I am 79 and just finished the last 200+ miles, Logrono to Ponferrada. Started in 2018, did another 150 miles in 2021, and now done. Probably my last Camino, unless I can convince one of my kids to hike from Sarria on.

But you, in your 60s, many Caminos to look forward to. I envy you.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back