• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have now narrowed my book choice down to two.

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hard choice, for walking in Spain - a book about travel in Greece, or travel to the Western Front and English Channnel. I would find something with a setting in Spain.🙂
I bought Micheners Iberia, but the format was too big, and any roads as I will be in Spain, I thought reading about something else would be a change

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too love Fermors writing - never use one adjective where three will do - and I know (like Lee, Chatwin etc) that his recollection is somewhat exaggerated, but still ..

I always pack a very dog-eared copy of Artemis Coopers selected Fermor passages ‘Words of Mercury’. I’ve probably got four or more copies if I checked the library properly; but any chapter chosen at random never fails to delight me.

Last edited:
I bought Micheners Iberia, but the format was too big, and any roads as I will be in Spain, I thought reading about something else would be a change
I first read Iberia when I was in middle school which lead to my love of all things "Iberian" and a desire to travel in Spain. I have recently started to read again, but could not ever imagine carrying on camino except in ebook format.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't bring a book to read on the Camino. However, often when I am standing in the big cathedrals with grandiose arches and beauty accomplished so very long ago, I think of Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth"; a favorite book of mine. He articulates so well the "blood, sweat, and tears" that was involved in the building of these majestic structures.

Last edited:
Pillars is great read for a history buff and architect like me, especially imagining how the Templars were able to build structures like San Anton. Michener's book is a little dated, Mark Kurlansky has written about the history of the Basque population and Rebekah Scott has contributed a great deal with her books about the legends of the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pillars is great read for a history buff and architect like me, especially imagining how the Templars were able to build structures like San Anton. Michener's book is a little dated, Mark Kurlansky has written about the history of the Basque population and Rebekah Scott has contributed a great deal with her books about the legends of the Camino.
How is history dated?

I have now narrowed my book choice down to two, Patrick Leigh Fermors Roumeli https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766415.Roumeli Or Anthony Seldons The Path of Peace https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63224519-the-path-of-peace , I love reading Fermor and was in Waterstones today and was tempted by the Seldon book, got to chose which one, once this important stuff is done, I will chuck some stuff in a Rucksack and fly to France. Rather excited now the day is approaching.
I’ve taken Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy, on treks. It just seems to fit the spiritual theme I look for. Probably many others with similar effects.

“A Furnace Full of God” by Rebekah Scott is very, very readable and brings the Camino alive.

Pace, @Rebekah Scott , but I don’t feel one has to be RC or very ‘religious’ to read this wonderful book.

As @naplesdon has said above, Reb has written several books, at least one of which, “The Great Westward Walk”, would be too heavy to take - but It’s a great read.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
“A Furnace Full of God” by Rebekah Scott is very, very readable and brings the Camino alive.

Pace, @Rebekah Scott , but I don’t feel one has to be RC or very ‘religious’ to read this wonderful book.

As @naplesdon has said above, Reb has written several books, at least one of which, “The Great Westward Walk”, would be too heavy to take - but It’s a great read.
I own and have read "A furnace full of God" and have since passed it on to a Camino friend. It was a good read.👍

I’d add a vote for A Furnace Full of God; clearly Rebekah knows how to write; and for a Camino themed book it would be a great contemporary choice.

€60,-
The Great Westward Walk is an instant Camino classic. It was written by a Basque and translated byRebekah. (Gracias,Rebekah). It is available on Kindle for smartphones. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Buen Camino

>>I have now narrowed my book choice down to two

Which one weighs less?

>> I will chuck some stuff in a Rucksack and fly to France.

Yes!

I have now narrowed my book choice down to two, Patrick Leigh Fermors Roumeli https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766415.Roumeli Or Anthony Seldons The Path of Peace https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63224519-the-path-of-peace , I love reading Fermor and was in Waterstones today and was tempted by the Seldon book, got to chose which one, once this important stuff is done, I will chuck some stuff in a Rucksack and fly to France. Rather excited now the day is approaching.
I have all of Fermor's books and you cannot go wrong with them. Iberia is suggested below, but the copy I have must weigh 3 kg. I would advise no books. Spend your time walking and conversing with the hundreds of other pilgrims you have the opportunity to meet. Personally, I am so busy during Camino, I do not even listen to any broadcasts, watch TV or read any news, let alone books which would significantly increase my pack weight. Read your books back home or on less active holidays.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back