• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have three weeks. What's a good start point?

MagnoMurmure

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Hey everyone, this is my first post, so excuse me if I'm asking a dumb question or if it's answered somewhere here already.

Title says it all. I'm looking at flying into Bilbao from the US Around July 28th and leaving from the same on either August 20th or 21st. I'm a pretty fit guy; lots of hiking experience as a rucker in the military, and I've run a couple marathons. I'd also be bringing a good small tent that I have no issue sleeping in exclusively for weeks. My point being that I think I'm coming in physically prepared to make this trek.

So if I have about three weeks, where's a good place to start along the camino?

I was thinking of hiking the Camino Frances perhaps starting in Burgos, since that appears to match my timeline best. But is it possible that I'm cutting it too close if I start there? Is Leon a better idea given my timeframe? Or should I consider doing the northern route directly from Bilbao?

Obviously I don't want to feel rushed, and I'd enjoy some flexibility in my timeline. Thanks for the help!

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Leon is two weeks for an unfit guy, so Burgos sounds good. If you need to make up time, you can take a bus later.

I'd suggest getting a good guidebook and do your map recce. Many of us use John Brierley's compendium.

Decide where you want to walk based on what part of the camino best suits your interest.

There is no requirement that you start or finish in any particular place.

You might want to start in Le Puy in France and come back some other time to walk the rest of the way to Santiago. Many people walk the camino for a week per a year.

Its not a hike, its not a trek, its a walk across the North of Spain and its different from anything you have done before. I'd suggest leaving the tent and the rest of the hiking gear at home. I'd suggest an agenda of not more than 20km walking per day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depending on how many KM/Day you do, rather than on how fit you are, I'd say Pamplona, Logroño, or Burgos.

Pamplona only if you are a VERY fast hiker ; Burgos if you don't want to rush your Camino, but prefer to have a broader experience.

You could probably start at least as far as from Logroño, based on your description of your physical fitness and hiking experience, it took me 19 days from that point in 1995 at about 35 KM/day.

OTOH if you're planning on 25-35 KM stages as your basis, then Burgos would be perfect, similarly if you're faster than that but planning on also pushing ahead to Fisterra.

If you're up for 40 KM stages as a daily routine, with occasional spikes at 50 or 60, then Pamplona is the place.

As others have said, Leon to Santiago makes a nice 2 week Camino.
If you start in Leon, you may meet others who are taking their time and want to walk with them. Having 2 weeks to get to Santiago will be beneficial then.

After Santiago, there is Finisterre or Muxia on the coast. They are each a 3 day walk from Santiago.

So, my recommendation is start in Leon, and if time permits, continue on to Finisterre or Muxia.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Thanks for all the great replies! Good info all around!

I spoke with a few friends who completed the Camino and looked elsewhere online and in guidebooks. I think I want to start in St. Jean, walk for about ten days or so (plus or minus a day), perhaps as far as Burgos, then catch a bus to as far away as Sarria and finish the Camino walking from there, and then perhaps go on to Finisterre if I have time. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Or am I messing up by essentially skipping the middle portion by taking the bus?

I say this because I think I really would like to start in St. Jean, experience crossing the Pyrranees, and then savor Basque Country. But I also really want to finish at Santiago and get my Compostela. I understand that I wouldn't be with the same people throughout, but I'm OK with that. I more want to experience the culture, the towns, and have a more meditative singular experience for my first Camino. But yeah, trust me, if I had four weeks, I'd do four weeks. The time constraint is the only thing forcing me to think about where to skip via bus in the middle.

Also, I'll now be flying into Bilbao, then flying out of Santiago de Compostela, for what it's worth.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think the continuity of walking day after day without interruption contributes a lot to the pilgrimage experience.

If getting your compostela this time is important to you, start in Leon. You can begin in SJPP another time. Alternatively, if you really want to experience the pyrenees and the collective giddyness of beginning something big and unknown together, start in SJPP and walk as far as you want. You can get your compostela on another trip.

Having walked the whole way, my bias is that the bus would ruin your holiday. But others will not agree with me.

Whatever you do. Really go for it. No looking back. No regrets.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

I agree with David, walking continuously has its own special rhythm that you lose when "jumping ahead" with a bus. Also if you can walk long and fast, you miss out at a lot of things if you just rush by in "dust cloud". If you want to arrive in Santiago this time round my vote would be for either Burgos or Leon, depending on how many kilometres you can walk comfortably per day. If you can imagine to come back next year to finish your pilgrimage and to get your Compostela, I would start in SJPDP and just see how far your feet will carry you this year. In all cases and whatever you decide: Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
MagnoMurmure said:
Also, I'll now be flying into Bilbao, then flying out of Santiago de Compostela, for what it's worth.

Well why not walk from Bilbao then ?

Given your fitness, Bilbao to Compostela will be a good three weeks, and you could basically start walking straight off the plane.

You have many options...someone suggested that you begin in Leon and go to Santiago...we did that stretch last year...a great hike for sure with a variety of scenery and enough time to get into the spirit of the Camino but we did it in 12 days after we planned to do it in 14.

So you might might want to start a bit further back on the Camino...or begin in SJPP and do a section by bus.

rayvarey said:
You have many options...someone suggested that you begin in Leon and go to Santiago...we did that stretch last year...a great hike for sure with a variety of scenery and enough time to get into the spirit of the Camino but we did it in 12 days after we planned to do it in 14.

So you might might want to start a bit further back on the Camino...or begin in SJPP and do a section by bus.
What do you think about starting in Leon and finishing the whole thing in about two weeks, then using the remaining time to go to Finisterre and Muxia?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't get all mystical about it! Take a bus as needed. Someone else's rhythm may be your boredom. :D

falcon269 said:
Don't get all mystical about it! Take a bus as needed. Someone else's rhythm may be your boredom. :D
It really borders on telling others how to do their Camino, all this "Take a bus as needed". Not everybody here wants to take a bus in the first place for whatever reasons! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back