• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I recently watched the film 'The Way' and now feel inspired

benandterri

Time of past OR future Camino
my wife and i plan to walk it but in yrs to come our children are very young
I recently watched the film 'The Way' and now feel inspired to walk the camino with my wife when my children are older. Is this the wrong motivational source or are we not alone. I'm not religious and neither is my wife but after reading about it once i'd seen the movie i'm strongly drawn to it. I can't even think of a solid reason as to why we would walk it but i want to anyway. Maybe it's purely to broaden my horizons.........I have no idea. is it common for others to feel lost like this about something that obviously holds great importance for many or do i have the meaning of the walk completely wrong.
Cheers
Ben

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I first heard of the Camino many years ago I too had young children. But, the years flew by and the children grew up! Suddenly I had the time and freedom and I was able to walk my Camino in 2011. Now I am now planning another one! Keep your thoughts and inspiration and one day you'll be there too!

I remember hearing along the way "you don't find the Camino, it finds you".

This rings true to me.

Buen Camino

thank you norelle for the quote....."you don't find the Camino, it finds you"...it struck a cord...
I am starting my journey in May. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it a good way to find the camino? It depends. The film skims over the gritty realities - no bedbugs, no blisters, no rain!

So, let it inspire you, but be prepared.

Well you probably don't get blisters when you are walking a few yards at a time for a sequence with backpacks full of bags of air!However it does teach anyone stupid enough to contemplate doing so to not take their pack of on a bridge wall! :shock:
I don't remember the film well but where was the traffic?
allan

Try to find st Jacques, Le Mecque, sometimes called "Start Walkin'".

It is another fun film,a better film in my opinion. I'm not sure inspiration of any type is what you need to do the Camino, just a realistic view of what it is like, and the desire to go do it. You will find more of that here than the movies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I remember watching the film and i loved it! I am also a big fan of Martin Sheen. Its a story and its hollywood so i am not expecting a documentary or a detailed travel program.. Well thats Hollywood isnt it? So lets not all get too serious about the details or lack of... Its a fictional story...
However its gives you a flavour of what The Camino might be about and for me that was all i required. I was entertained and touched by the story-line.
Yes when you actually experience your own Camino then you learn about the pain, the blisters, the tiredness etc...That will happen, that will be part of the real experience and that aint Hollywood!
Well as they say the show must go on, Buen Camino :arrow:

benandterri said:
I recently watched the film 'The Way' and now feel inspired to walk the camino with my wife when my children are older. Is this the wrong motivational source or are we not alone.

You're not alone! I walked the Camino in 2001, in July, and spent time with literally hundreds of fellow walkers over more than 500 miles across Spain and I only once came across another American and that was on the first day. After that it was all French, Spanish, German, Swedes and Dutch among others.

I was on the Camino again last year (2012) and I came across other Americans every day. My hunch is that many of them were inspired by the film with Martin Sheen though I don't know.

In any event come on over and start walking! It's lots of fun and you'll meet lots of people. And you don't have to wait until the children are older, just bring them along!

We were all initially inspired by something - a book, a film, a documentary, the friend-of-a-friend who did the walk.
If you are meant to walk the Camino it doesn't matter how the seed was planted. Nuture it, research The Way, buy a few books on the subject. Attend a pilgrim workshop, speak to expienced pilgrims, start walking or join a hiking group.
In the end, go with no expectations and make the Camino your own.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi
Similar happened to me.
Having had a colleague at work who told me in 2000 that she had walked the camino over two years I forgot about it. In 2012 I rented the DVD "The Way" and started to watch it. Expecting a thriller I was thrilled about what I saw.
The desire to walk the camino came alive again - and now it is due to become reality.

I do not believe there is anything wrong in inspiration drawn from the film. A film is just another medium to transport a message. Could have been a book or anything else.

I hope you will be able to start your way in time!

Sillydoll wrote:
We were all initially inspired by something - a book, a film, a documentary, the friend-of-a-friend who did the walk.

Sillydoll is modest enough not too mention that she put the wheels on many a pilgrim who is at a loss on where to begin after the seed has been sown. She certainly smoothed the way in answering many a question in her 6000+ answers, her practical advise prevented many a pitfall.

Thank you Sillydoll for anchoring this fantastic forum; I will cover my head and say that Shirley MacLaine's book I picked up ages ago to read, as I liked her as the actress, gave me the first inkling of what St James Walk was all about, I am not ashamed to admit that she was in many ways planted the first seed.

Grandpa Joe

Ah - thank you Grandpa Joe. I can't remember a time before this forum. I did belong to a small Saint James forum - and for a short while to Santiagobis - but this Forum has been like an albergue with the camaraderie of old and new pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can I second the suggestion to take your kids?!
We took ours last year and it was wonderful.
Like you, we had no major burning reason to do it. Had heard of it, sounded like the albergues were not spaced too far apart, and so why not? Hubby was intrigued, but not overly excited at the prospect....when I suggested I take the kids on my own he decided he'd be jealous so we all went together. And he loved it the most out of all of us!

We did not do a great deal of preparation before going. Read a few books (and not just Camino-focussed ones) and worked out distances between albergues, but that was about it. It's only since coming back that we have discovered more about routes other than the Frances and found wonderful sites like gronze, mundicamino etc and really explored this forum more fully!
I suspect when we walk next time it will be with a deeper understanding, but out first walk was FANTASTIC too. And six months later I am still awed at the way the kids embraced it all.

I would say "mere curiosity" is a reason big enough to try it.

Hi
How are you doing?
It is most important not to loose the spirit.
The inspiration (By the movie or anything else) is a start. Please do not allow your motivation to die off.
Just keep the idea alive and you will be able to do it.

Stay motivated!!

Kerdi

One of the items a pilgrim carries to the path is a stone from home. I have been looking for the one I will carry to the cross along the path.
Even if you are not religious you can think of that stone as a reminder of the symbolic stones in your life: Stones you have thrown at others,stones of guilt you have heaped up, stones of burdens you bear. Find the stone you want to leave in the care of the Camino.
It seems, through whatever means, the Camino has called you.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back