• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino I seem to have a knack for finding fiestas

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
I am in Ciguñuela on the Madrid tonight. I have picked up the key from the local bar and unloaded my stuff. It seems that they are celebrating something tonight. They have a stage and a female singer who occasionally does some Flamenco steps.

She started singing at 8pm and so I guess that she will be going most of the night.

I am waiting in the (only) very busy bar to see if I can get some food. The bar lady is working on her own and has indicated that she may get some help at 9:30pm and if she does then she may be able to make some food then.

I did try earlier in the day but she must of been on a break because there was nothing until she turned up.

I guess that tonight might be a late night for me and everyone else.

They might be celebrating the end of the school year as I see some stuff on local TV that indicates huge queues of cars leaving various cities.

When I signed in I noticed @David Tallan in the register.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am in Ciguñuela on the Madrid tonight. I have picked up the key from the local bar and unloaded my stuff. It seems that they are celebrating something tonight. They have a stage and a female singer who occasionally does some Flamenco steps.

She started singing at 8pm and so I guess that she will be going most of the night.

I am waiting in the (only) very busy bar to see if I can get some food. The bar lady is working on her own and has indicated that she may get some help at 9:30pm and if she does then she may be able to make some food then.

I did try earlier in the day but she must of been on a break because there was nothing until she turned up.

I guess that tonight might be a late night for me and everyone else.

They might be celebrating the end of the school year as I see some stuff on local TV that indicates huge queues of cars leaving various cities.

When I signed in I noticed @David Tallan in the register.
It seems that her relief has just turned up and I have ordered something, not sure what it is yet but I am reasonably sure that it includes potatoes. The conversation was mostly drowned out with bar noise. This town is pumping!

I really must practise my Spanish more often.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Earlier in the day as I walked to the bar an old guy stopped me and asked if I was a pilgrim and shook my hand when I said yes. He also said some other stuff but my Spanish is poor and it just went over my head although I thought I heard a "good travel" or something similar.

He has just turned up in the bar and ordered a small meal and is waving to me. Pretty much everyone else ignores me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am now in Peñaflor de Hornija and it seems to be Dog City. If you know me then you will know that this makes me hyperaware of my surroundings.

Not only does every man and his dog have a dog but the (only) bar that I am in seems to attract them thicker than flies. I currently have three looking up at me with "notice me" eyes, including one quite large pit bull who fortunately doesn't seem to follow his breed characteristics.

I will see if I can escape without being licked, yuk!

There sure is a lot of flat farm land around here. First picture shows me looking ahead on the trail towards the distant windmills that are about 4klms away.

IMG_20230701_110956113.jpg

Second shot shows what lies ahead of me once I get up to the windmills.

IMG_20230701_112813071_HDR.jpg

Did you stop to see the cool church at Wamba???? One of the treats along the Madrid route.
And the Museu de Semana Santa at Penaflor?
And tomorrow is one of the most beautiful walks on that route along the canal.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is getting hot so be careful! Carry lots of water with you!
It is indeed getting very hot with today 3° warmer than yesterday and so I have decided to have a lazy Sunday and I walked to Castromonte and grabbed a bed in the town albergue.

I almost didn't get a bed as there seems to be a bunch of teenagers in ahead of me, I expect tonight might be quite exciting.

The town has a very nice community pool and picnic area and I managed to get my first ever swim in Spain. Deliciously refreshing although I was the only male in the pool. It seems that Spanish men are a bit shy when it comes to swimming. Lots of kids and Mums though.

Here is a shot of the pool when it was relatively deserted.

IMG_20230702_142744335_HDR.jpg

It is indeed getting very hot with today 3° warmer than yesterday and so I have decided to have a lazy Sunday and I walked to Castromonte and grabbed a bed in the town albergue.

I almost didn't get a bed as there seems to be a bunch of teenagers in ahead of me, I expect tonight might be quite exciting.

The town has a very nice community pool and picnic area and I managed to get my first ever swim in Spain. Deliciously refreshing although I was the only male in the pool. It seems that Spanish men are a bit shy when it comes to swimming. Lots of kids and Mums though.

Here is a shot of the pool when it was relatively deserted.

View attachment 151093
I went to the pool too at my hotel, but all men and no women!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It turns out that they weren't teenagers but rather in their early 20's, very arty and they had organised and delivered a film festival that has been running here since Wednesday.

The film festival finished today and all the youngsters have packed up and left.

So, once again I have an albergue to myself for the night. 🤩🤩

Edit: Not entirely alone, there seems to be about a zillion very persistent flies that land everywhere including running up my trouser leg and trying to crawl into my shirt.

I cooked my self some spaghetti for supper and two of them committed suicide in the pot of boiling water and I had to fish then out with a spoon before they added too much protein to the dish.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back