• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need blister treatment in Valladolid - any good suggestions for where I can get treated

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
While walking on the sand yesterday I got a small amount of sand in one shoe. I should have stopped to empty it but I didn't and today it got worse.

I am now in Valladolid for two nights.

Does anyone know a good place in Valladolid to go for treatment?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While walking on the sand yesterday I got a small amount of sand in one shoe. I should have stopped to empty it but I didn't and today it got worse.

Sorry to read.

Maybe these people can be of help?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I, too, would make my first stop a pharmacy. In our experiences on the Camino, pharmacists have provided great advice and assistance for several types of walking related physical issues that we’ve had.

Open up your blister and get the liquid out. Make your opening large enough that it will not close up and fill again. When not on the trail, I leave my feet such that they are more exposed to the fresh air. When walking then, I find that simple paper pharmaceutical tape does the trick protecting that part of the foot and preventing the blister from growing any further. The blister will undoubtedly hurt for a couple more days, but it won’t get any bigger or any worse.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Open up your blister and get the liquid out. Make your opening large enough that it will not close up and fill again

This website from the American association of dermatologists gives advice on treating and preventing blisters. They advise not draining a blister unless necessary because of the risk of infection. If you do have to pierce the skin, they say, make a small hole with a sterilised needle. This will reduce the risk of infection and not compromise the layer of dead skin which acts as a protective layer as the new skin heals. I hope you get better.

While you are in Vallodolid, try to visit the old market: it is a foodie's paradise.

Nobody mentioned Compeed? Gods gift to blisters??

Simply drain it, whack it on, and start walking. Never fails… but the pharmacy will probably suggest this. So do check with the professionals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Compeed should not be used when blisters already open.
I don't think this is correct. See the Compeed instructions here. As I (not medical person) understand it, the hydocolloid dressings can be used for open wounds or those with skin still on, but there are two hazards with this type of dressing: 1) not noticing signs of infection when left covered for days, 2) ripping off more skin if not removed carefully.

Nobody mentioned Compeed? Gods gift to blisters??

Simply drain it, whack it on, and start walking. Never fails… but the pharmacy will probably suggest this. So do check with the professionals.
I have to respectully disagree. I think Compeed is the absolute worst. But everyone has different feet, different healing and different ideas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

LOVED Valladolid. Glad we spent two days there even though it's off the camino route. You probably have already taken the sage advice of others, but if not, please, please, please drain that blister first. Then clean it. Then head to a pharmacy if you don't have any antiseptic cream and bandages. I prefer putting antiseptic cream on gauze, covering the area and then bandaging over that.

LOVED Valladolid. Glad we spent two days there even though it's off the camino route. You probably have already taken the sage advice of others, but if not, please, please, please drain that blister first. Then clean it. Then head to a pharmacy if you don't have any antiseptic cream and bandages. I prefer putting antiseptic cream on gauze, covering the area and then bandaging over that.
I love it too, story to follow.

I love it too, story to follow.
The story we like to reminisce about is not what we did in Valladolid, which we enjoyed immensely, but our departure. We were going to take a bus to Simancas to continue the camino. At the bus stop was a well dressed elderly man who started asking us about our camino walk. He was a retired lawyer, noting that the Valladolid law school is prestigious and he returned to be a professor. He disappeared, and ten minutes later, pulled up in Mercedes convertible, motioning us to get in. We then had a glorious ride to the old bridge in Simancas during which he regaled us with stories of why Valladolid is so very special. And it is.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I don't think this is correct. See the Compeed instructions here. As I (not medical person) understand it, the hydocolloid dressings can be used for open wounds or those with skin still on, but there are two hazards with this type of dressing: 1) not noticing signs of infection when left covered for days, 2) ripping off more skin if not removed carefully.
@C clearly is correct. According to @Rebecca Rushton Compeed should only be used on de-roofed blisters.

Thanks for sharing the link @C clearly - I had not seen this before. It's great to see Compeed adjust their messaging around instructions for use. Yay! It's a great hydrocolloid product (apart from not being sterile, which it really should be if you're going to use this on open wounds), but is often used on the wrong types of blisters (or as a blister prevention). When it goes wrong (which it doesn't always), it goes really wrong, leading to a worse blister situation than you started with. Thanks again :)

Update on my blister

I tried contacting the Podiatrist that a friend had spotted but they didn't reply. I tried talking to a pharmacist but they weren't much help and just wanted to sell me some Compeed which I bought and then discovered was too small.

The blister covered half of the ball of my foot and down into my arch.

My accommodation was directly opposite the entrance of a very large research hospital and university and the area has the vibe of students and medical staff.

I was walking back to my room after seeing the pharmacist and stopped for a breakfast coffee when a young woman sat next to me at the bar. I decided to take a punt and see if she spoke English and had a medical background and got lucky on both.

She said that she was an off-duty nurse and that Yes she did speak English. I asked her for her advice and she told me to go to the Emergency Department to be treated.

I wasn't keen on that option because it seemed like overkill and based on my ANZ experience would probably mean that I sat around in a queue waiting to be seen for most of the day while staff concentrated on more urgent cases.

I needed to do some washing and so grabbed my dirty clothes and went to a laundrette to clean them while giving me time to think.

After washing and drying my clothes I pulled out my phone, opened Google Maps and there highlighted for me on the screen was a Podiatrist just around the corner and so I went there to see what help I could get.

When I got to the address from Google Maps it was a building with professional rooms that I needed to buzz one of the bells in order to be let in. My dilemma was that the number shown on Google Maps had the word Dentist associated with it on the panel of buzzers.

I stood there wondering how I would explain in Spanish that I wanted the Podiatrist rather than the Dentist when a woman walked up, pushed the buzzer for the room that I wanted, said something in Spanish and the door opened.

Taking a huge punt, I asked her in English about the Podiatrist. Again I was in luck, she spoke English and explained that both a Dentist and the Podiatrist worked from that set of rooms. She said that she was an administrator for the Podiatrist and invited me in.

When we got out of the lift and into the reception area she helped me explain what I needed. The nurse/receptionist said that they could help but that the Podiatrist was very busy and could I please come back another day.

I told her that I was a pilgrim walking to Santiago de Compostela and she smiled and said she had also walked to Santiago, had another look at the diary and asked if I could come back that evening and, of course, I said yes.

I returned that evening and saw the Podiatrist who disinfected my foot, took out a scalpel, cut the skin off the blister, cleaned and disinfected the wound and put a dressing on it before I quite realised what she was doing.

Only then did she ask me when I would be walking again.

When I told her, the next day, she was not pleased. Then she asked how far I would walk the next day. I thought that I had better give her a low figure and so I said 16 kilometres. Again, she was not pleased and told me not to walk more than 8 klms.

We then had a conversation about my needing to buy some Betadine and a replacement dressing so that I could change it and keep the wound clean.

When I said that I have arthritic hips and that it is difficult for me to attend to the bottom of my feet, she said that I could leave the current dressing on for three days but that I should keep it clean but not get it wet as it wasn't a waterproof dressing.

I walked back to my accommodation to plan how I could walk three 8 klms days and without showering!

Ultimately, after trying lots and lots of different transport and walking options, I decided that it could not be done on this area of the Camino Madrid without extensive and costly use of taxis and so I decided to end my Camino Madrid for now, move to cheaper accommodation in Valladolid for two nights and then head up to Sahagún and Burgos so that I can be on time for my retreat at Santa Domingo de Silos and then come back here and finish my Camino Madrid after that.

I have plenty of time as I don't fly home until mid August but I don't have unlimited money and so I need to choose options that don't cost too much.

In the meantime I am enjoying Valladolid very much and as I mentioned to someone else, it is the biggest Spanish city that I never knew existed. It is the Antipode of the capital of ANZ, Wellington and in some ways shares a quirky, small city, big personality vibe with Wellington.

I have been exploring Valladolid and yesterday I walked 10 klms and so far my foot is feeling much better. I have moved to a cheap Airbnb. I have one room in an apartment that I share with an elderly Brazilian couple and their adult son.

It is interesting because they talk to me in a mixture of Portuguese and Spanish and I reply in English and none of us know what is actually being talked about but we do seem to understand the essential things.

Immediately after the retreat at Santa Domingo de Silos I need to travel back towards Madrid to pick up a bag of excess things that I need but not until later in my trip (another long story). Then I head to Pamplona to meet a friend and have lunch with her and the other Nuns at Zabaldika.

Then I need to decide about completing this Camino and/or doing something else.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am glad to hear that you have found good treatment and are on the mend, @DoughnutANZ. Enjoy Vallodolid, and even more, Santo Domingo de Silos. If your feet are feeling good by then, there are many day hikes you can take from there - Sad Hill, Covarrubias, San Pedro de Arlanza for starters.

Update on my blister

I tried contacting the Podiatrist that a friend had spotted but they didn't reply. I tried talking to a pharmacist but they weren't much help and just wanted to sell me some Compeed which I bought and then discovered was too small.

The blister covered half of the ball of my foot and down into my arch.

My accommodation was directly opposite the entrance of a very large research hospital and university and the area has the vibe of students and medical staff.

I was walking back to my room after seeing the pharmacist and stopped for a breakfast coffee when a young woman sat next to me at the bar. I decided to take a punt and see if she spoke English and had a medical background and got lucky on both.

She said that she was an off-duty nurse and that Yes she did speak English. I asked her for her advice and she told me to go to the Emergency Department to be treated.

I wasn't keen on that option because it seemed like overkill and based on my ANZ experience would probably mean that I sat around in a queue waiting to be seen for most of the day while staff concentrated on more urgent cases.

I needed to do some washing and so grabbed my dirty clothes and went to a laundrette to clean them while giving me time to think.

After washing and drying my clothes I pulled out my phone, opened Google Maps and there highlighted for me on the screen was a Podiatrist just around the corner and so I went there to see what help I could get.

When I got to the address from Google Maps it was a building with professional rooms that I needed to buzz one of the bells in order to be let in. My dilemma was that the number shown on Google Maps had the word Dentist associated with it on the panel of buzzers.

I stood there wondering how I would explain in Spanish that I wanted the Podiatrist rather than the Dentist when a woman walked up, pushed the buzzer for the room that I wanted, said something in Spanish and the door opened.

Taking a huge punt, I asked her in English about the Podiatrist. Again I was in luck, she spoke English and explained that both a Dentist and the Podiatrist worked from that set of rooms. She said that she was an administrator for the Podiatrist and invited me in.

When we got out of the lift and into the reception area she helped me explain what I needed. The nurse/receptionist said that they could help but that the Podiatrist was very busy and could I please come back another day.

I told her that I was a pilgrim walking to Santiago de Compostela and she smiled and said she had also walked to Santiago, had another look at the diary and asked if I could come back that evening and, of course, I said yes.

I returned that evening and saw the Podiatrist who disinfected my foot, took out a scalpel, cut the skin off the blister, cleaned and disinfected the wound and put a dressing on it before I quite realised what she was doing.

Only then did she ask me when I would be walking again.

When I told her, the next day, she was not pleased. Then she asked how far I would walk the next day. I thought that I had better give her a low figure and so I said 16 kilometres. Again, she was not pleased and told me not to walk more than 8 klms.

We then had a conversation about my needing to buy some Betadine and a replacement dressing so that I could change it and keep the wound clean.

When I said that I have arthritic hips and that it is difficult for me to attend to the bottom of my feet, she said that I could leave the current dressing on for three days but that I should keep it clean but not get it wet as it wasn't a waterproof dressing.

I walked back to my accommodation to plan how I could walk three 8 klms days and without showering!

Ultimately, after trying lots and lots of different transport and walking options, I decided that it could not be done on this area of the Camino Madrid without extensive and costly use of taxis and so I decided to end my Camino Madrid for now, move to cheaper accommodation in Valladolid for two nights and then head up to Sahagún and Burgos so that I can be on time for my retreat at Santa Domingo de Silos and then come back here and finish my Camino Madrid after that.

I have plenty of time as I don't fly home until mid August but I don't have unlimited money and so I need to choose options that don't cost too much.

In the meantime I am enjoying Valladolid very much and as I mentioned to someone else, it is the biggest Spanish city that I never knew existed. It is the Antipode of the capital of ANZ, Wellington and in some ways shares a quirky, small city, big personality vibe with Wellington.

I have been exploring Valladolid and yesterday I walked 10 klms and so far my foot is feeling much better. I have moved to a cheap Airbnb. I have one room in an apartment that I share with an elderly Brazilian couple and their adult son.

It is interesting because they talk to me in a mixture of Portuguese and Spanish and I reply in English and none of us know what is actually being talked about but we do seem to understand the essential things.

Immediately after the retreat at Santa Domingo de Silos I need to travel back towards Madrid to pick up a bag of excess things that I need but not until later in my trip (another long story). Then I head to Pamplona to meet a friend and have lunch with her and the other Nuns at Zabaldika.

Then I need to decide about completing this Camino and/or doing something else.
I will be in Valladolid tomorrow. Maybe we can get together for a coffee. If that sounds good, PM me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't use it at all on any blister. Use it to prevent blisters. If there is a blister under it, do not try to remove the Compeed—it will tear off the skin it is stuck to!

I recently found that, in order to keep the foot dry, I needed to (a) test the plastic bag first for airtightness, and (b) tape all around my ankle to secure the top of the bag.
One of the places that I was staying had a bath tub and I had one of my brilliant but sometimes not well thought out ideas of having a bath and just sticking one leg up in the air.

I had a little bit of difficulty getting into the bath but eventually figured that I could slide down the curved end as long as there wasn't so much water that I created a wave that overflowed the bath.

The bath was luxurious and I really enjoyed it!

Then I encountered the flaw in my idea. It is quite difficult getting out of the bath while only using one leg while keeping the other foot dry.

I eventually figured that if I flipped my body over onto my stomach side that I could roll the leg that needs to stay dry out, over the edge of the bath and then I could use two legs again. One outside the bath and one inside.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back