• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I put it in writing, I'll be committed.

Gaenhart

Time of past OR future Camino
March April (2015)
Ola Peregrinos todos.

After five years of preparation and setbacks, I'm "all set" in my mind for a March 2018 launch from St Jean Pied de Port. The good thing about the delays - been practicing my Spanish (oh how I wish I was gifted at languages!) and I conned a friend into going. The bad thing about the delays - a little loss of enthusiasm and a heck of a loss of condition. But now with less than 18 months to go, it's time to shed about 15Kgs, up the exercise regime, and test test test the equipment. I've lurked on the Forums for a number of years and some of the comments/advice, the photos, the stories and blogs I've read make me feel I have walked the way many times over. I send Thanks to all of you.

Leaving St Jean late March suggests we won't go up the Napoleon Way because of weather conditions/closures, but secretly hoping that we might still be able to. If I don't do it this time, I'll have to do it the next time. Since it's a Spring 'adventure' I am sure to find that the rain/snow/chills in Spain etc. If anyone has further advice on the journey at this time of year, I'd consume it with glee.

OH... did anyone use Google translate (or similar) on their pilgrimage? Was it inconvenient or a great help? I will still prefer to speak and learn as I go, but I just wonder what the protocol/etiquette is for something like that.

Gracias
Gaenhart

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It must be exciting to be planning. 2018 might seem a while off, but I know how quickly the time can fly when you have a clear goal set. Two points:

1. on the basis of the current regulations, the Route Napoleon will not open before 1 Apr, and to that extent, secretly hoping it will open early will just lead to secret disappointment! Plan to leave later if you really want to cross using the Napoleon Route, and even then there might be weather issues that keep it closed.
  2. I used Google translate, and found it greatly assisted. I downloaded the languages files I wanted, so that I was not dependent on having in internet connection to use the app. That wasn't always successful, as there were times when it wouldn't work without the connection, and times when it would. I didn't get around to figuring out why. In the extreme, I would show the person what I was trying to say, but mainly used it to translate from English to Spanish to get the phrasing correct. I also set a few stock phrases as favourites so I could recall them quickly.
Enjoy your planning and preparation. And buen camino for 2018.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome Gaenhart, remember that by going by Valcarlos, you are going the original way, the Napoleon way was a later route. I used Google translate to prepare phrases I needed when I got usable wifi in the albergues, usually the night before. This way I picked up enough Spanish to order meals and book ahead. As you said, I learned as I walked. I still don't have much Spanish, just enough to get by.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well @Gaenhart you are now committed and You Will Make It. I too had some fitness to gain before my first camino and it was a great incentive - I formulated a couple of little mantras and would mutter them to myself when I pushed away the plate or my body up a hill ("I will make it happen" being one).

@dougfitz. I've seen your comments over the past few years on many different topics, and your suggestions are always to the point and helpful. Thanks, I'll discard my secret hope and let the Camino do what it will. Thanks also for the notes re Google. Good ideas about the phrases. I'll do exactly as you suggested and get a few phrases backed up.

@wayfarer - In all the preparations, I never thought to plan for ordering meals. Facepalm time! So, great tip thanks.

@Kanga - "I will make it happen" :D Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back