• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you had an extra day, what would you have done?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014 Leon-Santiago de Compostella
Folks,

As I continue to plan my trip in Sept from Leon to SDC I found that I can take a day off for resting. I'm asking this to those who had experienced this route, if you could have an extra day to rest and visit interesting sites, where between Leon and SDC would you take it?

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
Camino bound, Sept 2014!
Deacon Harbey Santiago

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not a rest day but very memorable one. March 2007 I detoured to the Sobrado do Monxes monastery from the Camino Frances at Arzua; roughly 20 km up and 20 km back. Stayed at the pilgrim albergue within the Cistercian/Trappist monastery where there also is a separate hospderia for visitors. The monastery complex is a Baroque masterpiece; however the albergue dorm was then in the renovated stable. I wandered alone through the various structures in awe. When the porter saw my American passport he delightedly (and silently) pointed to several library shelves filled with the works of Thomas Merton, the renown American Trappist.

No other pilgrims were about; only one other 'outsider' and I attended Vespers. That evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison. It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

Margaret Meredith

We took a rest day in Astorga. With the cathedral, Gaudi's Bishop Residence, Chocolate Museum, and local market in the square, we truly enjoyed our day there.

Ponferrada may also be a good choice with the Templar castle, if you enjoy that. I am sure there are other sights there, but we did not have time to visit any.

Rambler

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Ponferrada you could go and visit Las Medulas, an extraordinary site where the Romans carved out an entire mountain to remove the gold. Anne

Time was no factor in my pilgrimage. So, I took several days in Pamplona, a day in Burgos and a day in Leon. We caught the medievaI festival in Hospital de Orbigo would have spent another day at the Festival and watched the knights joust. I could have but I did not stay for a third day. I am kicking myself now for not doing so!!! So if you have time, take some to enjoy the Camino. If you don't you will be kicking yourself later that you did not take some time for yourself to recoup and enjoy.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Frances I schedule rest days in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon. However in 2017 if I had planned an extra day to two I would have been able to walk to Finisterre and Muxia (with my Camino daughter). So now I will have to build in those extra days after I finish to Porto (hopefully in May 2022). Cheers

On the Frances I schedule rest days in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon. However in 2017 if I had planned an extra day to two I would have been able to walk to Finisterre and Muxia (with my Camino daughter). So now I will have to build in those extra days after I finish to Porto (hopefully in May 2022). Cheers
Mike,
Lucky you planning a camino in Portugal!

Before you leave the Porto area do visit one of the many winehouses which produce this delicious wine.
For further research re wine visits along the CP itself see this handy list of wine areas and vineyard links with maps from Visit Portugal. For further posts re Portuguese wine see this recent Forum link

Happy sipping and Bom caminho!
Margaret

Last edited:
Hello Margaret, if the plans (COVID19 permitting) my brother and I will have one or two days in Porto - to get over the jet lag. Last time I was in Porto it was a monday and as is normal a lot of places where closed. So yes the winehouses (home of Port) will be on the itinerary. I trust you and Bill are keeping well and safe. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Margaret, if the plans (COVID19 permitting) my brother and I will have one or two days in Porto - to get over the jet lag. Last time I was in Porto it was a monday and as is normal a lot of places where closed. So yes the winehouses (home of Port) will be on the itinerary. I trust you and Bill are keeping well and safe. Cheers
Hi Mike,
Glad to read about your future trip. Do visit Graham's port; they do a great tour. Bill and I are keeping on keeping on as is most of the world.
Stay safe,
Margaret

Last edited:
For me, a lot depends on the weather. When I take a rest day, I like to rest and relax. At this point in my life I am more discriminate about which sites I visit. I am not so inclined to visit some deserted crumbling monastery after seeing probably close to a hundred of them. There are a few favorites, but at this point I much prefer to visit an active monastery.

On rest days, I literally rest! I breathe in the beauty of a gorgeous setting, stroll a little, sleep late, eat well, talk to-other pilgrims and just relax. If the weather is good, I take a days rest in Acebo. It is not necessarily because I need a rest day then. It is because I love this place, and the scenery that surrounds it. But I only book a second day if the weather is good and there is an opening.

Another option is taking two short walking days instead of a rest day. So I split 20km into 2days, not necessarily together...and have extra energy for things I want to do. It helps break up the grind.

Albergue La Casa Del Peregrino in El Acebo San Miguel

Last edited:
For me, a lot depends on the weather. When I take a rest day, I like to rest and relax. At this point in my life I am more discriminate about which sites I visit. I am not so inclined to visit some deserted crumbling monastery after seeing probably close to a hundred of them. There are a few favorites, but at this point I much prefer to visit an active monastery.

On rest days, I literally rest! I breathe in the beauty of a gorgeous setting, stroll a little, sleep late, eat well, talk to-other pilgrims and just relax. If the weather is good, I take a days rest in Acebo. It is not necessarily because I need a rest day then. It is because I love this place, and the scenery that surrounds it. But I only book a second day if the weather is good and there is an opening.

Another option is taking two short walking days instead of a rest day. So I split 20km into 2days, not necessarily together...and have extra energy for things I want to do. It helps break up the grind.

Albergue La Casa Del Peregrino in El Acebo San Miguel
That's how I plan to do the Caminho - short walking days so I can savor as I go. I absolutely love Portugal!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back