• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Im planning to walk starting 12 March 2014. Are there likely to be many others at this time of year

Weather in March

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark M

Hi All,
I'm from Perth in WA. I can only find time to walk the Camino in March/14. Starting in St Jean. Any tips? Special precautions related to the weather? With thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All,
I'm from Perth in WA. I can only find time to walk the Camino in March/14. Starting in St Jean. Any tips? Special precautions related to the weather? With thanks

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum. I will be leaving SJPdP on or around the 8th of March so we may bump into each other along the way. I have received some good advice from a pilgrim on this forum, mspath at www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.16636/. She has walked several winter caminos. She also has a blog Camino Gazetteer which may help you plan.
Buen Camino!
Karen :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mark M

Welcome to the forum.
At the time of year you plan to walk as others have mentioned , be prepared for all kinds of weather ( specially rain).
You´ll be able to find a lot of useful info from many very experienced posters here. If you have any more questions
shoot away. You´ll find very helpful people here.
Try to travel as light as possible and don´t rush it, enjoy it. Soak it all up.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mark:

I have left from SJPdP on March 23rd twice. Spring weather can be very unpredictable. In 2010/2011, the weather was chilly but clear and I was able to take the Napoleon route. Some Albergues will be closed, usually until April 1st. Orisson will not be open so you will not have that option to break up the day. There will be other Pilgrims. I started with 13 and 16 other Pilgrims. Listen to the locals and take the Valcarlos route if weather is bad. Last year, there was a lot of snow all through April.

This time of year you have to be prepared for all kinds of weather. The weather (2011) in the mountains was near freezing but the Meseta was near 30C or 90F. There were only 5 days of rain. In 2012, walking (started April 1st) the Vasco, it rained almost everyday.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum. I will be leaving SJPdP on or around the 8th of March so we may bump into each other along the way. I have received some good advice from a pilgrim on this forum, mspath at www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.16636/. She has walked several winter caminos. She also has a blog Camino Gazetteer which may help you plan.
Buen Camino!
Camino Gazetteer is excellent. Thanks very much for the tip. Much appreciated

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Im leaving from Alaska Which town/city should I fly into?[/qu
Im leaving from Alaska Which town/city should I fly into?

Hi Mark.
I figure you must be flying out of Anchorage so the options I could find were:

Anchorage to Bilboa, Spain then bus to SJPdP, but this is the most expensive option. Bus is about 2 1/2 hours (If you take a separate flight down to Seattle then go from there it knocks a considerable amount off the price of each option if needed).
Anchorage/Seattle to Toulouse, France then train from Toulouse into SJPdP (train about $70 and 4 1/2 hours)
Anchorage/Seattle to Paris (cheapest option) then train from the airport to SJPdP (train about $100 and 7 1/2 hours.)
I know there is an airport in Biarritz, France but I couldn't find anything into this airport.

Rail info you can find through www.raileurope.com but you can only book 3 months out.

Flying back there is an international airport in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Mark.
I figure you must be flying out of Anchorage so the options I could find were:

Anchorage to Bilboa, Spain then bus to SJPdP, but this is the most expensive option. Bus is about 2 1/2 hours (If you take a separate flight down to Seattle then go from there it knocks a considerable amount off the price of each option if needed).
Anchorage/Seattle to Toulouse, France then train from Toulouse into SJPdP (train about $70 and 4 1/2 hours)
Anchorage/Seattle to Paris (cheapest option) then train from the airport to SJPdP (train about $100 and 7 1/2 hours.)
I know there is an airport in Biarritz, France but I couldn't find anything into this airport.

Rail info you can find through www.raileurope.com but you can only book 3 months out.

Flying back there is an international airport in Santiago de Compostela.

Thank you. Exactly the helpful info I was looking for. Very much appreciated. Ill book the via Paris option.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. Exactly the helpful info I was looking for. Very much appreciated. Ill book the via Paris option.

I think that's the option I will probably take too. I always wanted to go to Paris so I may stay for a day to explore.
Enjoy.
Buen Camino :)

@Mark M

If you decide to fly into Paris you may check for trains in France here: http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers#

In another thread I posted list of albergues on Camino Frances opened in winter-time, but the info was gathered through websites so it may not be accurate for some locations. I'll attach it to this post and you can download it. Keep us posted how it'll go.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• All year albergues.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 3
@Mark M

If you decide to fly into Paris you may check for trains in France here: http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers#

In another thread I posted list of albergues on Camino Frances opened in winter-time, but the info was gathered through websites so it may not be accurate for some locations. I'll attach it to this post and you can download it. Keep us posted how it'll go.

Ultreia!
Thank you very much This is much appreciated. Great info. Looking forward to the trip.

A quick question. I had some feedback today that the second half of the walk is more interesting. Whats your view? I ll need to do in two parts. Have always planned the first part first.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
By personal experience, these places are not open in the winter, so you may want to call ahead to verify that they are open if you want to stay there:

Ventosa
Azofra - church only may be open on request
Tardajos
Riego de Ambros
Cacabelos
Sarria - Internacional; only if you call ahead

A quick question. I had some feedback today that the second half of the walk is more interesting. Whats your view? I ll need to do in two parts. Have always planned the first part first.

I can not say which part(s) of CF are more interesting than other(s). For me it was very enjoyable and interesting all the way to Fisterra, but I would recommend to start the first part because most probably the "end" is also important as the way itself for many. And if you'll come to the "end" first and only then (year or two later) "start" at the start I think the emotion wouldn't be quite the same. Bu that's only me ;)

I agree and had agreed in the past with falcon269 that call ahead is a must in winter conditions. Hospitaleros at the place you'll stay for the night will probably have some knowledge on open albergues on the next stage. So, phone ahead or ask.

Ultreia!

I can not say which part(s) of CF are more interesting than other(s). For me it was very enjoyable and interesting all the way to Fisterra, but I would recommend to start the first part because most probably the "end" is also important as the way itself for many. And if you'll come to the "end" first and only then (year or two later) "start" at the start I think the emotion wouldn't be quite the same. Bu that's only me ;)

I agree and had agreed in the past with falcon269 that call ahead is a must in winter conditions. Hospitaleros at the place you'll stay for the night will probably have some knowledge on open albergues on the next stage. So, phone ahead or ask.

Ultreia!
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Mark

I am walking in March/ April 2014. Setting off from SJPdP. I am piggy backing off your thread and getting the weather info which I've been wondering about too!

I am now relieved that I bought the Gortex rain jacket because at that price I was going to be upset of there wasn't any rain lol!!!

Thanks

Theresa

Hi Mark

I am walking in March/ April 2014. Setting off from SJPdP. I am piggy backing off your thread and getting the weather info which I've been wondering about too!

I am now relieved that I bought the Gortex rain jacket because at that price I was going to be upset of there wasn't any rain lol!!!

Thanks

Theresa
Yes. The good quality equipment is expensive. To use a cliche -"Im preparing for the worst. Expecting the best" So I'm prepared if im stuck out overnight worst case. But Im planning to be careful, take the advice of the locals and really enjoy myself. Wishing you a fabulous walk. I can wait to start from St Jean in early March.

Yes. The good quality equipment is expensive. To use a cliche -"Im preparing for the worst. Expecting the best" So I'm prepared if im stuck out overnight worst case. But Im planning to be careful, take the advice of the locals and really enjoy myself. Wishing you a fabulous walk. I can wait to start from St Jean in early March.

I'm also very excited for this adventure! You will be ahead of me so would be great if you could send the odd weather info...i will know what to pack when I leave sunny South Africa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mark

Thanks

Theresa
On reflection - after money Ive spent on my gear - if its hot and dry - I will be deeply distressed.! :)

I'm also very excited for this adventure! You will be ahead of me so would be great if you could send the odd weather info...i will know what to pack when I leave sunny South Africa.
Ha

I'm happy to share the weather info. Its sometime more helpful have a view from a person who is actually there. You can then also check the weather maps and chat to the locals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mark:

I have left from SJPdP on March 23rd twice. Spring weather can be very unpredictable. In 2010/2011, the weather was chilly but clear and I was able to take the Napoleon route. Some Albergues will be closed, usually until April 1st. Orisson will not be open so you will not have that option to break up the day. There will be other Pilgrims. I started with 13 and 16 other Pilgrims. Listen to the locals and take the Valcarlos route if weather is bad. Last year, there was a lot of snow all through April.

This time of year you have to be prepared for all kinds of weather. The weather (2011) in the mountains was near freezing but the Meseta was near 30. There were only 5 days of rain. In 2012, walking (started April 1st) the Vasco, it rained almost everyday.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you very much for this helpful advice. I will prepare for everything.

There is no easy way to get to SJPdP, especially from Alaska. You are in for very long travel days both ways.

I think you need to consider what is important to you in making this decision (Cost, travel time etc.)

You could try a mufti-city ticket. Anchorage to Paris(CDG), travel from CDG to Montparnesse train station, train from there to Bayonne, then local train to SJPdP. Leaving, fly or train to Madrid from Santiago then fly Madrid to Anchorage.

Ultreya,
Joe

Mark/Theresa:

Do not worry about using your rain/cold gear in March/April, you will. Just hope you do not need it too much.

This site will have a weather thread as Spring time arrives with weather updates. Listen to what others have to say and choose wisely. Last year many started in Pamplona versus SJPdP or took the Valcarlos route because of snow. Listen to the locals about weather once en-route.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mark/Theresa:

Do not worry about using your rain/cold gear in March/April, you will. Just hope you do not need it too much.

This site will have a weather thread as Spring time arrives with weather updates. Listen to what others have to say and choose wisely. Last year many started in Pamplona versus SJPdP or took the Valcarlos route because of snow. Listen to the locals about weather once en-route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi

Thanks for this. I really hope I can do the whole walk...but I will take heed of what the weather and locals tell me as you suggest.

Theresa

Mark/Theresa:

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you. Good advice. Yes I'm expecting rain and some snow.

Walked the Frances from SJPdP , last week in March, 2012. After Pamplona, I believe I had a week of nothing but clear blue skies--got a bit sunburned (on one side only!) Then during the ascent from Rabanal, I nearly froze in the deep snow and blowing winds. I wont even get into the torrential rainstorm after O'Cebreiro....Be prepared for anything, because it will probably happen. Peace, love.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Dad and I will also be setting out from SJPP in mid-March. I'm planning on cold weather (and *hoping* for not much rain - although that's probably just a dream!). I think we're going to pick up Altus raincoats when we get to SJPP. Hope to run into some of you next Spring!

Hi All,

Hi Mark - I started in SJPP too - totally unfit for the walk over the Pyrenees with snow lined road and paths. Managed 14km the first day, to Valcarlos - that was far enough. Some years the weather is quite mild. Back in northern NSW now, but happy to answer any questions.

Theresa,
My wife and I will also be a few days ahead of you. We leave sunny Toronto on March 3 and expect to start from Roncesvalles on March 6. I hope Navarra will be a bit warmer than Ontario at that time of the year. We will be taking it easy so there is a good chance that you will catch up with us. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Theresa,
My wife and I will also be a few days ahead of you. We leave sunny Toronto on March 3 and expect to start from Roncesvalles on March 6. I hope Navarra will be a bit warmer than Ontario at that time of the year. We will be taking it easy so there is a good chance that you will catch up with us. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Hi Gil

I look forward to meeting you and your wife. It all feels a bit surreal at the moment

Roll on March!!!!

Theresa

Thanks I will have a look at that one. The other site was very limited and I don't speak Spanish!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gil,

I've had a quick look at it and it doesn't seem to show rainfall etc. There is another PDF that I once saw on the forum and I can't seem to get it again. But it had rain, snow, daylight hours. Temps etc.

Will keep looking and forward to you if I find it.

Hi All,
Hi Mark,
I'll be leaving from SJPP on March 14th! All this talk of inclimate weather has got me a bit nervous. I just keep telling myself, "the camino will provide." Message me, I would love to make plans to meet up with you.
Julie Karr

Hi Mark,
I'll be leaving from SJPP on March 14th! All this talk of inclimate weather has got me a bit nervous. I just keep telling myself, "the camino will provide." Message me, I would love to make plans to meet up with you.
Julie Karr
I have been keeping an eye in forecasts. I start in Roncesvalles this Thursday. It looks like by friday we have a week of and high temperatures, up to 20C. Things are getting better.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All,

Check the weather before you go ..... possibly find out how wet it has been as that will determine how sticky the ground is likely to be. There has been a huge amount of rain and storms in the UK and I would not be surprised if Spain got the same weather

Lots of light layers
Good rain gear - rain and waterproof jacket and trousers - large enough to fit the layers - vented to allow you to cool down.
Gortex Boots with good soles
Thermal underwear
Consider bringing yaktracks for muddy conditions, even small ones
Walking poles - Nordic walking poles with cork handles are perfect as they are light and supportive
Waterproof your rucksack with stuffsacks eg Eagle Creek Plastic bags http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-compression-sac-set-sml/d/1065_c_213 and a backpack cover
Warm sleeping bag as albergues might be rather damp and cold
Warm gloves and possibly over gloves ....
Walking poles
Sweat band to keep wind off your forehead
Buff

Compression guards to help prevent tendonitis
Tennis ball to massage your feet every night
Cereal bowl to have a decent breakfast in the am eg Special K with milk
Spork to eat said breakfast
Head torch with red filter

Just be ready to walk straight into the wind. Big, big wind out there in March. And the nights are still pretty chilly.

As for the second half being "more interesting," if sight-seeing and entertainment are what you want, there are tourist options that are a lot more comfortable than walking the whole way in March.

Well, my wife and I arrived last night to Pamplona. We plan to be in Roncesvalles tonight and start the pilgrimage tomorrow morning.
The weather yesterday all the way from Madrid was wonderful, mostly sunny and around 15C. That is until we got close to Pamplona then the temperature dropped and the rain came with gusto.
Today is ash Wednesday, a day to reflect in our mortality. Remember you are dust and dust you will become.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gil

Can I suggest that you take a taxi 28KMs to St Jean Pied De Porte and commence your Camino from there. It is unlikely that you will be able to walk over the Pyrenees via the Napoleon Route due to snow and or foul weather but to walk from St Jean is special, even if it is on the alternative road route. St Jean is a magic place and I would even recommend spending a full day/2 nights there to savour both St Jean and the Camino as you get to see pilgrims set off in the early morning (sit on the footsteps of the church and watch the pilgrims head off). Spend one night in a cheap hotel/albergue and then the next night in the municipal hostal. Janene the hospitalaro is a legend, having worked there for possibly 20 or 30 years. All the locals pop in to have a chat with her. She is bit grumpy but it is endearing. Stock up on some food as there is no shops at Ronconvalles itself and it is good to bring extra provisions, especially if going over the pyrennes (nice to have a picnic or if your get snowed in or are slow). Many of the pilgrims you will meet will have started at St Jean so nice to be in the same boat. Even the Spanish are increasingly starting there even though traditionally Ronconvalles was the preferred place. So when on the Camino do as the Spanish do!!! Ha Ha

That said the Taxi from Ronconvalles to St Jean is not cheap unless there is a group of you.

Check out the Camino shop in Pamplona. The couple walked the Camino and they have a lovely shop that sell lots of Camino related items including Camino walking poles with the Camino route printed on the side of the poles. Their shop is located around the corner from the Municipal Albergue.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminoteca-a-shop-for-pilgrims-in-pamplona.17552/

Here is a link to the poles

http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php...pment/trekking-sticks-18/ca041301-detail.html

If you need any last minute items then check out Decathlon in Pamplona. Their stuff tends to be cheaper than the more branded hiking gear but more than adequate for the duration of your Camino.

http://www.decathlon.es/es/store?store_id=PS_ES_14

If the conditions are really wet then consider buying a pair of these yack track to get a grip

http://www.decathlon.es/antideslizante-urban-lite-id_8301733.html

Here are a bigger pair if the conditions are terrible

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-788144-hiking-and-walking

I have used the bigger type yack track type and they are amazing in the snow. The give grip in the mud but you need to have some sort of strap to keep them secure. I think the little basic ones would do the trick.

Buen Camino

C

Last edited:
We plan to be in Roncesvalles tonight and start the pilgrimage tomorrow morning.
With rain, melting, and flooding in that region, that will be a great starting point! Have fun. Buen camino!

Thank you to both of you for your advice and feedback. We were talking earlier today to four German and Italian pilgrims that started in St. Jean. Their feedback was that at this time it is a good idea to start in Roncesvalles. The Napoleon pass is buried in deep snow and with the weather improving for the next few days there will be a lot of melting snow.
So, on to Roncesvalles in the bus in one and a half hours. We will attend the Ash Wednesday pilgrims mass today there and start walking tomorrow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You should only listen to the Irish ....... and of course yourself ..... Buen Camino

Gil. Happy to see you arrived safely. So excited for you to start. Hope to see you soon.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.