• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Barcelona June 18. Where to start?

DebraS.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June/ July (2015) - incomplete
Frances June (2018)
So I will be in Barcelona for other reasons on June 18 and want to do a short Camino due to time restraints. I must be back in Barcelona for flight out on July 3rd. I am so excited and so nervous. Not for safety reasons though. I have faith. But I am nervous about making stupid mistakes and making my trip more difficult. If anyone knows where it will be a good place to start and how to get there, please let me know.

I do want to complete the min 100km or more. I am a strong walker so I feel sure I can do it at a fast pace, but who knows, right?

I thought about Ingles but it sounds like there will not be many other pilgrams on that trail and I do prefer to be near and around others. But that will be my fallback plan if I can't decide otherwise.

So excited and hope to run across other forum members/pilgrams soon!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I will be in Barcelona for other reasons on June 18 and want to do a short Camino due to time restraints. I must be back in Barcelona for flight out on July 3rd. I am so excited and so nervous. Not for safety reasons though. I have faith. But I am nervous about making stupid mistakes and making my trip more difficult. If anyone knows where it will be a good place to start and how to get there, please let me know.

I do want to complete the min 100km or more. I am a strong walker so I feel sure I can do it at a fast pace, but who knows, right?

I thought about Ingles but it sounds like there will not be many other pilgrams on that trail and I do prefer to be near and around others. But that will be my fallback plan if I can't decide otherwise.

I visited a camino friend in Barcelona last year, and he took me to the fabulous monastery at Montserrat. Its a short train ride from the city. There was a Camino de Santiago marker up there. It would be a great place to start.

Hi Peregrinopaul! I sure wish I could do that distance but time won't allow it. I didn't plan my six weeks of vacation well enough but I think I will do that next year. This year will have to be a shorter 'trial' run. I am thinking of starting in Ponferrada but can't figure out how to get there from Barcelona. Still working on that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Peregrinopaul! I sure wish I could do that distance but time won't allow it. I didn't plan my six weeks of vacation well enough but I think I will do that next year. This year will have to be a shorter 'trial' run. I am thinking of starting in Ponferrada but can't figure out how to get there from Barcelona. Still working on that.
Hola, Debra!

About train connections take a look here: www.renfe.com. Currently there is no schedule for June yet, but it seems like you have three daily trains between Barcelona and Ponferrada:
- AVE (fast train, like TGV in France) but with changing trains in Madrid (from Atocha to Chamartin station, you have more than 2hrs for that), 05:50 - 15:05, 50€+
- ALVIA (direct), 09:30 - 18:52, 28€
- TRENHOTEL (direct), 20:20 - 06:49, 50€+.

From Ponferrada you can walk Camino Frances or turn left/south to less walked but beautiful Camino de Invierno. The 100kms regulation start on this camino is in Monforte de Lemos which has good train connections.

Other "short" caminos are Primitivo (from Lugo), Sanabres (from Ourense), Norte & Portugues (don't know which towns are 100kms from SdC?) or already mentioned Ingles. Lots to choose from :)

Ultreia!

You could start in Leon on the CF - you can do that in 13 days, or start a bit further on to shave off a few days, such as Astorga. You could also do the Primitivo, more difficult and not "as well developed pilgrim infrastructure' but much quieter in the middle of summer. Or start in Santiago and head to Fisterra and Muxia. That's even shorter. The Eroski site can help you look at the different options very easily.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all of the advice and links! I have a lot of planning to do!

What are the chances for getting a bus if I book at the same day? I tend to plan everything down to the last detail but I am trying to avoid that this time because I do tend to change my mind and lose the money.

I was in Villach Austria last week and was doing a walk/jog and happened to see a Camino marker. I guess that shouldn't surprise me since it IS possible. But it did make me wish I could do a much longer time on the Camino. Maybe some day I can!

June 18 will be here very soon and I messed up and jogged with a poorly fitting pair of running shoes and it looks like I will lose a few toenails. I sure hope to get my feet into better shape by then. May have to do open-toed shoes but I worry about rainy days.

Thanks for all of the advice and links! I have a lot of planning to do!

What are the chances for getting a bus if I book at the same day? I tend to plan everything down to the last detail but I am trying to avoid that this time because I do tend to change my mind and lose the money.

I was in Villach Austria last week and was doing a walk/jog and happened to see a Camino marker. I guess that shouldn't surprise me since it IS possible. But it did make me wish I could do a much longer time on the Camino. Maybe some day I can!

June 18 will be here very soon and I messed up and jogged with a poorly fitting pair of running shoes and it looks like I will lose a few toenails. I sure hope to get my feet into better shape by then. May have to do open-toed shoes but I worry about rainy days.
Hi, Debra,

I live only 100kms to the south of Villach and yes, in Austria are many pilgrim ways. I think the nearest major pilgrim spot near to Villach would be Sv.Višarje / Monte Santo di Lussari / Luschariberg (in three languages because it's close to three different countries/language areas).

If you don't want to lose your toenails or even more important, ruin your Camino, than I strongly suggest you buy a pair of good hiking boots and train with them.

Ultreia!

Ultreia,

Really? I hadn't noticed that you are in Slovenia! I live in Munich so I always drive to Villach but a lot of the guys I work with fly in from the US and always fly into Ljubljana. They tell me that Slovenia is prettier than Austria. Some day I will do a roadtrip that way.

Gosh, I hate wearing boots in the summer. I hate shoes and would almost do it bare-footed if that weren't insane. What brand do you recommend?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ultreia,

Really? I hadn't noticed that you are in Slovenia! I live in Munich so I always drive to Villach but a lot of the guys I work with fly in from the US and always fly into Ljubljana. They tell me that Slovenia is prettier than Austria. Some day I will do a roadtrip that way.

Gosh, I hate wearing boots in the summer. I hate shoes and would almost do it bare-footed if that weren't insane. What brand do you recommend?
Oh, sorry for misunderstanding, my name isn't Ultreia.
Meaning of Ultreia: http://www.pilgrimroads.com/2010/12/ultreia/

For the boots I was very satisfied with Raichle which was bought by or changed the name to Mammut. Garmont, La Scarpa etc. are good too but it depends completely on your feet. I always try to buy boots with Vibram soles. Last year I was given Kilimanjaro boots as a present and after 900kms on Camino I can throw them away because soles are almost completely gone :confused:

Agree, Slovenia is quite lovely country and if you decide to take that roadtrip let me know. But I didn't know Ljubljana airport has good connections, i.e. cheap. Venice, Treviso or Trieste have so much more and also a lot cheaper flights. Shuttle to those (from Ljubljana) cost around 16-20€.

Boštjan
(Slovenian for Sebastian ;))

Ha ha, Ah ok so I learn something new every day! Thanks for the correction and lesson. Very interesting.

I will see what I can find in boots and do some trial walking and see what I think. I hate to lug a pair with me if they don't work for me.

Thanks for the information!!

I tried to post when you commented on another post but I don't think it replied to your post so here it goes again......I'm starting at Ponferrada on June 14 and I'll only be doing about 10 miles a day so hopefully our paths will cross! I too am going to Barcelona afterwards. I'm not rushing through the walk but allowed about 10-14 days for it. If it's more or less I'm ok with it. I'm leaving on July 2nd out of Madrid. I too will be going alone and I'm totally excited! Hope to see you!

bel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried to post when you commented on another post but I don't think it replied to your post so here it goes again......I'm starting at Ponferrada on June 14 and I'll only be doing about 10 miles a day so hopefully our paths will cross! I too am going to Barcelona afterwards. I'm not rushing through the walk but allowed about 10-14 days for it. If it's more or less I'm ok with it. I'm leaving on July 2nd out of Madrid. I too will be going alone and I'm totally excited! Hope to see you!

Hi Belinda (bel?)

I am debating on if I want to start at Astorga or Ponferrada. I am so torn. I want to do as much as I can but I am limited on time. I have also thought about changing my return flight so I don't need to go back to Barcelona (and add an extra day) but I will no doubt change my mind a million times before I get there. :) Will you be staying connected to the forum while walking? Taking a phone? We should see if we align at some point on the walk. That would be great to see you!

Debra

Hi Belinda (bel?)

I am debating on if I want to start at Astorga or Ponferrada. I am so torn. I want to do as much as I can but I am limited on time. I have also thought about changing my return flight so I don't need to go back to Barcelona (and add an extra day) but I will no doubt change my mind a million times before I get there. :) Will you be staying connected to the forum while walking? Taking a phone? We should see if we align at some point on the walk. That would be great to see you!

Debra
Debra

I will be connected to the forum and taking a phone as well. I'm getting a Spanish SIM card at the airport when I get there so that I can call ahead and reserve albergues at times. I would so like to keep in touch! I also frequent Facebook under Belinda Laura Cantu in San Antonio, Texas. Please keep in touch :) and anyone else who will be on that route!

Bel

I have also thought about changing my return flight so I don't need to go back to Barcelona (and add an extra day)

Well, hey, you don't have to change your flight from Barcelona, maybe just add the one from Santiago to BCN. Right now the first one on July 3rd is 59€ (08:50 - 10:40) on www.skyscanner.com

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Debra

I will be connected to the forum and taking a phone as well. I'm getting a Spanish SIM card at the airport when I get there so that I can call ahead and reserve albergues at times. I would so like to keep in touch! I also frequent Facebook under Belinda Laura Cantu in San Antonio, Texas. Please keep in touch :) and anyone else who will be on that route!

Bel

Bel, are you kidding me? San Antonio? My son lives near Austin and I lived there for two years back around 2000. My daughter lives in Dallas. I will follow your posts once we get in Spain so we will know if we are near each other. And I can be found on FB using the name Debra Speed.

Well, hey, you don't have to change your flight from Barcelona, maybe just add the one from Santiago to BCN. Right now the first one on July 3rd is 59€ (08:50 - 10:40) on www.skyscanner.com

KinkyOne (Slovenian Sebastian),

That is one option that I most likely will do but my flight out of Barcelona is on the 3rd and I really don't need to be in Villach until the 6th. So that gives me a few days extra if needed. But, I also may want those extra days as a rest day at home.

Last edited:
So as expected, I've changed my mind. I'm having a lot of mental distress over doing just the minimum. In reading about how we should think and consider why we are making the Pilgrimage, I've realized I can't allow myself to do just the minimum.

As everyone says, we must make the journey that we need to make for our own reasons. I would be upset with myself if I didnt give it my best and something in me says I need to suffer a little (or a lot maybe).

So I creatively found an extra week by shifting my schedule around. I will start early and in St Jean. That gives me a week to discover if my pace is fast enough to do it that quick and if not, I can catch a bus and start over and do just the minimum. I will no doubt be disappointed if that happens but I will also be able to say that I tried. Right?

So as expected, I've changed my mind. I'm having a lot of mental distress over doing just the minimum. In reading about how we should think and consider why we are making the Pilgrimage, I've realized I can't allow myself to do just the minimum.

As everyone says, we must make the journey that we need to make for our own reasons. I would be upset with myself if I didnt give it my best and something in me says I need to suffer a little (or a lot maybe).

So I creatively found an extra week by shifting my schedule around. I will start early and in St Jean. That gives me a week to discover if my pace is fast enough to do it that quick and if not, I can catch a bus and start over and do just the minimum. I will no doubt be disappointed if that happens but I will also be able to say that I tried. Right?
Right :)

Well I still hope to see you! I'm just going to listen to my body and not rush though any of it. I rush everyday and I'm so tired of it. I want to actually SEE everything and appreciate. Smell the roses so to say or even the wonderful aroma of hardworking sweaty pilgrims lol...we will all smell like roses :). I just can't wait to embrace everything.

I'm starting on June 14 at Ponferrada. I'm hoping to get to santiago in 10-12 days....earlier if possible(well see).

Bel

I will be leaving Barcelona on the 19th, arriving in Burgos on the 20th and starting from there. Just a few days and I'm ready!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did not read this entire thread, but the trek from Montserrat right in Barcelona is incredibly beautiful.

I really wanted to do that but not enough time so I will start in Burgos. I am planning to do it from Barcelona next year though.

Hello, Debra. I will arrive in Pamplona the same day you are in Barcelona. I hope to make it on time to the starting point in SJPP. Perhaps, we will meet.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.