in limbo

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We're in that funny place where we've decided to go...but it's too early to purchase plane tickets. So we know that it's less than a year until we 'll be walking, but we don't yet know exactly what the dates will be.
We've pretty much decided the route, written up relevant information onto an enormous spreadsheet, worked out how to go about fundraising.....but now we just have to sit tight.
There is a tiny bit of shopping to do - convertible pants and shoes/sandals closer to the time, journals when they come on special, and maybe a Packa raincoat, but apart from that we'll just take what we've got.
All there is to do now is learn Spanish and we're about to throw ourselves into it with gusto (thanks Coffeebreak Spanish and Rosetta Stone)...and I have to learn how to operate a phone that I've been instructed I have to take! That might take longer than learning Spanish;-)
So we wait and look forward to the day that the real countdown will begin.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
F

Former member 19626

There is an enormous amount of fun in the preparation for sure. I noticed you didn't mention traing and walking. Probably because you are already a walker and this getting in shape aspect of your preparation was obvious.
If not, don't.
With a year to go before I go, I began walking. 1.6 km the first day, gradually increasing distance and frequency. With 3 months to go I am up to 30-40 km per week, in 2-3 sessions. Not being a walker before, the enthusiasm building alone has made this phase just awesome. Will have walked about 1400 km before I start my Camino in August. BTW, I turned 65 last year.
Another tip...
Buy a weigh scale. Helps bring a reality to questions of what to take in your pack.
JMHO
John, WineShoppe Guy

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Green Tortuga

Feb 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
www.walking4fun.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Chemin Le Puy (2012)
WineShoppe Guy said:
With a year to go before I go, I began walking. 1.6 km the first day, gradually increasing distance and frequency. With 3 months to go I am up to 30-40 km per week, in 2-3 sessions. Not being a walker before, the enthusiasm building alone has made this phase just awesome. Will have walked about 1400 km before I start my Camino in August.

It's always inspiring to hear stories like this. =) You're planning to walk the Camino Frances, I assume? I'm a little amused to see that you plan to do twice that distance in walking even before you start the trail! Don't get me wrong--there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.... It just amuses me. =)

If you haven't already, you might try using http://www.walking4fun.com where you can track your mileage on the Camino Frances or the Le Puy route in France which, collectively adds up to a little over 1,400 kilometers. It's kind of fun watching your progress as you virtually walk the trail too. =)

Buen Camino!

-- Ryan

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.