• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Lisbon very confusing

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués (September, 2017)
Hi everybody I finally made it to Lisbon and got my credential at the Cathedral.
Today I tried to see where the camino starts and is at Igresia De Santiago and not the Cathedral. In addition I am very surprised that when asked almost no one is able to help as they don't know much about the Camino.
Need to find out how to get to the Parque das Nacoes as there are no signage.
If anyone has done this and have clear directives to get out of Lisbon I would appreciate it
I will start on Tuesday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, and bom caminho!

Go to the cathedral, put your back to the front door, turn to the left and look down. There is the first arrow. I know that someone has also put arrows near the church of Santiago, but most everyone I know starts right at the cathedral. The arrows then take you through the Alfama and out to Parque Nacoes. Our online forum guide (here in resources section) helps with street names, etc, but you should have no trouble finding your way.

Enjoy Lisbon, it's a great city. I have put together a walking tour, which you might find fun since you have a few days.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/

Hi, and bom caminho!

Go to the cathedral, put your back to the front door, turn to the left and look down. There is the first arrow. I know that someone has also put arrows near the church of Santiago, but most everyone I know starts right at the cathedral. The arrows then take you through the Alfama and out to Parque Nacoes. Our online forum guide (here in resources section) helps with street names, etc, but you should have no trouble finding your way.

Enjoy Lisbon, it's a great city. I have put together a walking tour, which you might find fun since you have a few days.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/
Also I was just told to go to the water and is a streight row to Parque.

Also I was just told to go to the water and is a streight row to Parque.
Remember: Lisbon is not a "Camino" city. Most people in Lisbon do not know about the Camino.
I know about it because, well, I'm in this forum.

If I met a tourist on the street and was asked for directions to Parque das Nações I would also say "walk alongside the river" (or tell them to get on a bus, or the subway lol).

@peregrina2000 has done it; trust her directions :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, and bom caminho!

@peregrina2000 I found the answer to the mystery of where does the Camino start. I just bought the John Brierley 2017 edition and the map shows it starts at the Iglesia De Santiago BUT the route then goes by the Cathedral (Have attached a pic).

Attachments

• IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
I am going to go again to the Cathedral tomorrow to try to find the arrow as was suggested on this threat. If it is there still, I will find it before Tuesday

Peregrina2000 is our expert and if she suggested it, I would try it for sure! Please let us know if you find it, and Bom Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year when I was in Lisbon there were workmen busy on that side of the cathedral but one helpful worker showed me the arrow and then walked me around to where I could rejoins the route. I got a little lost and headed down to the river and easily found my way to Parque Das Nacoes and on my way from there. I had previous
Y poured over perigrino2000's blog and almost memorised some of it which came to mind as I walked. I loved the walk and you will too. Relax and enjoy; as long as you are following the river for the next few days you are on the right way.

It's a small arrow at the right of the door as you face it. If a beggar is sat in front of it you wouldn't see it. Took us ages to find it. Buen Camino

It's a small arrow at the right of the door as you face it. If a beggar is sat in front of it you wouldn't see it. Took us ages to find it. Buen Camino
Yeah, same happened to me on Levante with parked cars. The people painting the arrows "know the way" syndrome... ;)
It's like you know when they say "you get to this roundababout and you turn right and then you turn left". Which roundabout? Which right exit from it? Where to exactly? At which (by number) traffic lights etc. Constant problem with locals marking the Caminos. Any Camino for that matter.

Sorry I can't provide anything more constructive than this rant... :)

I wish you Bom Caminho though!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everybody I finally made it to Lisbon and got my credential at the Cathedral.
Today I tried to see where the camino starts and is at Igresia De Santiago and not the Cathedral. In addition I am very surprised that when asked almost no one is able to help as they don't know much about the Camino.
Need to find out how to get to the Parque das Nacoes as there are no signage.
If anyone has done this and have clear directives to get out of Lisbon I would appreciate it
I will start on Tuesday.
Yellow arrows from Church are easy to follow all the way out of town I was there in May

Ok, so as promised today I went back and I have to assume this is the famous arrow at the Cathedral... no kidding yesterday was hard to find with sooooo many people.
Anyhow, know that I appreciate the support given by all of you and will keep you posted.
Planning on posting daily on Facebook and Instagram @theworldmyvillage
Follow me as I will need your good vibes and expertise on this my first Camino ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 20
Ok, so as promised today I went back and I have to assume this is the famous arrow at the Cathedral... no kidding yesterday was hard to find with sooooo many people.
Anyhow, know that I appreciate the support given by all of you and will keep you posted.
Planning on posting daily on Facebook and Instagram @theworldmyvillage
Follow me as I will need your good vibes and expertise on this my first Camino ❤️
Yes, you have found that cathedral arrow! Bom caminho, here's hoping for a wonderful first Camino for you.

Having the Via Lusitana's 24/7 SOS pilgrim phone number should give you a good sense of security. From Portugal: 915 595 213. I know that the volunteers on this phone have even helped people walk out of a eucalyptus forest where the marking had deteriorated, and they are always ready to help.

I will try to remember to check your postings on Facebook, but a little snippet here on the forum every now and then to jog my fading memory would be most appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back