• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Sansol - shot in head with BB gun!!

HappaHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I don’t know where to post this so I will start here…after an 18.1mile hike today into Torres del Rio I was walking through Sansol about 3:30pm and I heard a pop and then felt the sting on my scalp. I’ve been using a Gossamer Gear hiking umbrella and sure enough a clean hole right through it. It didn’t break the skin but what a disappointing end to the day. Likely a child from the second floor somewhere as the streets were dead. Thankfully it wasn’t a real gun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t know where to post this so I will start here…after an 18.1mile hike today into Torres del Rio I was walking through Sansol about 3:30pm and I heard a pop and then felt the sting on my scalp. I’ve been using a Gossamer Gear hiking umbrella and sure enough a clean hole right through it. It didn’t break the skin but what a disappointing end to the day. Likely a child from the second floor somewhere as the streets were dead. Thankfully it wasn’t a real gun!

Attachments

• 2910451C-A55F-42B6-9F50-31667645CCD9.jpeg
    2910451C-A55F-42B6-9F50-31667645CCD9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 429
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Attachments

• 7D0D214D-E731-4ABF-9BB3-D63435DE8594.jpeg
    7D0D214D-E731-4ABF-9BB3-D63435DE8594.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 435
*Update: Went to the police in Logroño. I was told there was zero they can do unless I go to the hospital and come back with a paper from the hospital showing I saw a doctor. Further I was told that if I went I could expect to spend hours and hours waiting bc of a “collapse” in health care and would likely be seen last since it wasn’t urgent. 6 police standing there helping us btw, but nothing anyone can do. I’ve done all I can with this situation. Moving on. Buen camino.

Thanks for trying. In the UK there’s a fair chance the police would have treated the hole in your brolly as criminal damage if they needed a reason to knock on a few doors.

On the positive side; the chances of getting shot at twice on one Camino must be very small indeed.

Buen camino

Thanks for trying.

The police response strikes me as odd. They will go out to deal with perverts who flash pilgrims, but not to deal with a bb gun fired in public?

I wonder if the albergue and business owners in Sansol would be more apt to address this. Does anyone know if there is a friends of the camino association for this area? @Rebekah Scott @ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Three days ago waking from San Juan de Ortega to Ages, I thought someone shot at me too.
There was the pop of a rifle from the left, and a rustle in the bush on the right across the road. I could see anyone, but a minute later Inheard someone running among the trees.

I thought about reporting it, but since I didn’t see anything and have no proof, I walked on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry about the pellet gun and lack of response. I bought a gg umbrella and then was worried it would be too much to fuss with so I didn’t take it. How do you like it? Does it flop around?

Well this is bad.

I know there is a notion to minimize things that increase pilgrim anxiety (theft, covid, monkeypox).

Nonetheless, the camino is super important to the locals as a source of revenue. And they will protect pilgrims if they are threatened or harmed.

I think you did the right thing posting here. Anything like this is absolutely unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

If you find an opportunity, a report a little higher up the food chain might get this more attention.

Having said all that, don’t let it ruin your trip. Some kid just made a bad decision.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry about the pellet gun and lack of response. I bought a gg umbrella and then was worried it would be too much to fuss with so I didn’t take it. How do you like it? Does it flop around?
This umbrella has been an absolute lifesaver hiking in 90+ temps everyday. If you buy the backpacking attachment ($5) you don’t have to hold it but I have found holding it a bit better because I can angle it any direction and pop it up and down in a second.

6 police standing there helping us btw, but nothing anyone can do.
If you find an opportunity, a report a little higher up the food chain might get this more attention.
Logroño is in a different region altogether - so Sansol would no doubt be outside the jurisdiction of the Logroño police. Dialing 112 in the moment (without moving on) would probably have been a more effective way of getting action.

We who come from outside wouldn't naturally think of this, not knowing the regional and jurisdictional boundaries. So thank you for telling your story here, @HappaHiker - it's a cautionary tale we can all learn from.

Do you have any idea why AlertCops didn't work? Does it need to be initialized or registered beforehand? I would assume it world be functional right off the bat, but maybe not.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Logroño is in a different region altogether - so Sansol would no doubt be outside the jurisdiction of the Logroño police. Dialing 112 in the moment (without moving on) would probably have been a more effective way of getting action.

We who come from outside wouldn't naturally think of this, not knowing the regional and jurisdictional boundaries. So thank you for telling your story here, @HappaHiker - it's a cautionary tale we can all learn from.

Do you have any idea why AlertCops didn't work? Does it need to be initialized or registered beforehand? I would assume it world be functional right off the bat, but maybe not.
It does need to be ‘initialised’, and highly recommended as a pre-Camino download. Some members reported issues in the past in getting confirmation to US cellphone numbers

It does need to be ‘initialised’, and highly recommended as a pre-Camino download. Some members reported issues in the past in getting confirmation to US cellphone numbers
There is s ‘test’ function - you tap the icon and should get a message confirming the app is working - which is an excellent idea. Widh we had it here in the UK!! 🙄👣👣👣😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m so sorry this happened to you but I’m also shocked and disgusted in how the police reacted towards this as I can assure you as a retired Nurse BB gun pellets can cause severe damage especially in the loss of an eye. I would be calling the Guardia Civil immediately to report this and to let them know that there was absolutely no response from the police and if that doesn’t work I’d be giving the local media a call as I’m pretty sure they would be very interested in this story where a pilgrim is being targeted while walking along the Camino, that the police did nothing and that you have since learned it has happened to others. Also a few have mentioned here maybe a child doing something stupid but this could very well be a disturbed adult sitting waiting on their next target. This is not a simple complaint and needs to be reported to a higher authority until someone listens to you before the next person is left with the loss of an eye!

Can you tell us exactly where in Sansol it happened please. Sansol is a very small place and we can be careful walking through there.

PLEASE talk to the Guardia Civil, they have a special Camino unit that deals with these things... tell them what happened with Logrono cops, too -- that is pure BS! Call 062. They speak English. They will take this very seriously!
Yes I agree with you too as pointing a gun at anyone BB gun or not is criminal and not a thing any pilgrim can do to protect themselves for this type of crime so the next person is like a sitting duck. I find it very hard to believe it necessary to see a physician in order to get a report from one before you can report a crime, that is just absolutely ridiculous so something is very off here in how this was handled and needs to be reported until someone takes this serious especially since two others here have had a similar experience with a total of 2 just in this past few days! Shooting someone in the eye causing permanent blindness is a crime no matter what country you are in!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can you tell us exactly where in Sansol it happened please. Sansol is a very small place and we can be careful walking through there.
I have a 14sec pano video clip of exactly where it happened. I didn’t move and screamed for my daughter-in-law who I asked to take the video. Then the two male pilgrims walked up and one took me to the shade to inspect my scalp.

I have a 14sec pano video clip of exactly where it happened. I didn’t move and screamed for my daughter-in-law who I asked to take the video. Then the two male pilgrims walked up and one took me to the shade to inspect my scalp.
There is a really good map of Sansol on Google Maps. It even indicates the Camino. Can you tell us where exactly it was...

These are real guns.They come in various degrees of punch and even the seeming “toys”can easily take an eye out. Some will punch a hole through a softwood plank or even more. Professionals use them for Council -contracted rabbit control work where I live. It’s pretty serious and persist with informing the police.

De colores. Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So sorry that you're gone through this. I'm guessing that the local police in Logrono don't have jurisdiction in Sansol. The correct division of the Guardia Civil should.

With a population of 100, a basic investigation in Sansol shouldn't take long, since it's my guess that no non local would be able to transport a gun in that area without being noticed/ questioned.

So glad to hear you were not more seriously injured. But what a horrible trauma to have to go through. I sincerely hope you do pursue the advised report to the Guardia Civil.

I will be going through that area later in the year, and will be keeping my almost identical umbrella packed for that stretch.

Take care, and buen rest of your camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Glad you followed up with the Guardia Civil. Thank you.

It’s as if the Logroño police were focused on collecting hard evidence before investigating with a view to laying a charge, etc etc., whereas what’s needed first, is someone to investigate the incident, find the perpetrator and deal with the the public safety aspect. You likely aren’t returning for any trial, so they can simply alert the town by investigating and warn the perp. Maybe confiscate the gun.

My guess is that many people in Sansol know exactly who did this.

“Guardia Civil” was notified and I got a lot of “Ok, Ok, Ok” and that they would talk to the police. They did not request any personal info or request the photos I told them I had.

By the sounds of it they half listened to your statement and will do nothing about your complaint. Very frustrating to hear.

Update 2: “Guardia Civil” was notified and I got a lot of “Ok, Ok, Ok” and that they would talk to the police. They did not request any personal info or request the photos I told them I had.
Hey @Rebekah Scott - is this normal in your experience (and they will do something), or is this inaction? If it's the inaction it appears to be, what do you suggest @HappaHiker do to move things along? Three people on this thread report getting beaned by someone with a BB gun - in different places. Totally not good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Update 2: “Guardia Civil” was notified and I got a lot of “Ok, Ok, Ok” and that they would talk to the police. They did not request any personal info or request the photos I told them I had.
This is shocking and not ok as someone needs to follow up on this to find out who this person is. If it were me I’d now be calling their local news as I’m pretty sure they’d be very interested in this incident since it’s happened to others along with the fact that the police and Guardia were not interested. People should feel safe walking along the Camino and looking all around you for a criminal with a BB gun is not something that can stop a pellet and the fact he aimed this at your head shows his intent to cause harm! I hope someone from Spain reads this and can do something to investigate the areas this has happened!

Good grief! We'll have to start manufacturing Kevlar backpacks and caps!

I compliment you on responding to such an incident in such a manner. You have a good perspective on life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps contact Ana at El Olivo de Sansol….. ?

I think (and hope) the OP is simply enjoying the remainder of her Camino having already made a significant effort to report this incident to the appropriate authorities.

More in hope than expectation I emailed the alcalde’s office in Sansol with no reply as yet.

If anyone’s got any further ideas; perhaps they would like to action them themselves? All you need do is link to this thread.

In the apparantly unlikely event that anyone in Sansol is interested I’m sure the OP would provide such evidence as she has.

Let the albergue staff know. The likely know where the problem is coming from. The albergue staff will have more influence with local law enforcement.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.