A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Incense in Santiago

MegH

Camino(s) past & future
September/October 2016
i arrive in Santiago on Wednesday 19th October. Will I be able to witness the incense swing in the cathedral that day or the next day?

Advertisment

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
i arrive in Santiago on Wednesday 19th October. Will I be able to witness the incense swing in the cathedral that day or the next day?
The only guarantee is at the 1930 mass on Friday. It did not swing at noon today.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

- The Epiphany: 6 January

- Resurrection Sunday

- The Ascension of the Lord

- The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May

- Pentecost

- The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July

- The Assumption of Mary: 15 August

-All Saints: 1 November

-Christ the King

-The Immaculate Conception: 8 December

-Christmas: 25 December

-Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December

-Every Friday (except Holy Friday), at 7.30 pm

The Botafumeiro can also operate for pilgrimages that have duly requested it from the Cathedral. To reserve the Botafumeiro write an email to: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
@falcon269 and I are cross posting here like there is no tomorrow ;-) SY

Advertisment

simeon

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP LosArcos 09\14 Tricastella SDDC 0515 Porto SDDC 1015 LosArcos Burgos 1016 Burgos Leon 0917
both times I was there the Botafumeiro was used in the evening and not at the midday pilgrim mass. It was quite a moving experience for me.... You might be lucky!!!! I was twice.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Donating Member
It is on this evening I believe :)

In the season May - October the Boatfumeiro is used around 150 times - it is guaranteed on Friday evenings but is flown at many other masses.

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy (2010; 2016), Norte, Primitivo, Muxia/Fisterra (2010), Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, Sanabres (2011), Arles, Aragones, Frances (2015)
Camino(s) past & future
Astorga to SdC May 2016
I was in Santiago at the Cathedral for the noon mass on May 18 and May 20, 2016. Botafumeiro was "in operation" both days.

simeon

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP LosArcos 09\14 Tricastella SDDC 0515 Porto SDDC 1015 LosArcos Burgos 1016 Burgos Leon 0917
what verb applies to the swinging, flying, Incensing or botafuering of the botafumeriro.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Normally it is just s(w)inging ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 1 2016
C Ingles
I love watching the botafumeiro being swung! The first time I saw it, the Cathedral was packed it was a disappointing view behind lots of people.... ! for the next mass, I went 2 hours earlier to get an aisle seat and I recorded the scene, then when it was all finished we burst into a hugmongous applause! Jz amazing!! Apologies I couldn't load the video here!

Attachments

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Camino(s) past & future
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
I was very lucky, I spent several days in SdC and each day Mass included this. I tried my best to respect the Mass...but my last day I thought "surely it's OK if today, if this happens again, I make a video to show my family when I return..." So I tried to be discrete, and made my video. and downloading the pictures on return, my video was destroyed. :(
I'm happy for two things: first, that I saw it several times NOT through my camera lens, and second that this thread includes a link to see part of it...

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 1 2016
C Ingles
I was very lucky, I spent several days in SdC and each day Mass included this. I tried my best to respect the Mass...but my last day I thought "surely it's OK if today, if this happens again, I make a video to show my family when I return..." So I tried to be discrete, and made my video. and downloading the pictures on return, my video was destroyed. :(
I'm happy for two things: first, that I saw it several times NOT through my camera lens, and second that this thread includes a link to see part of it...
Yeah.. it was difficult.... a lot of people were recording the scene ..... I dont know of any other cathedral with this practice... so it was a sensation to watch! My family and friends were captivated..... so much so some of my RC friends hv made plans to walk to Santiago too!

MCFearnley

Camino(s) past & future
Ponferrada to Santiago (September 2016)
I was at the Sunday mass at noon on September 25th and it was used. What a sight! I was lucky to be in the first row in the main nave. I videoed a minute of it and tried to keep my camera discrete, not in anyone else's field of view.

Saint Mike II

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Best chance - try to find a group of wealthy tourist arriving on a bus - their guides/tour leaders get them to all contribute E20 (time 30 = E600) which they then "donate" to Cathedral maintenance and in return the Botafumeiro happily swings. Otherwise its Friday.

To follow up on SY list of annual dates: Pentecost for 2017 is Sunday 4 June - so start adjusting your walking schedule..!!??
Cheers

Last edited:

MegH

Camino(s) past & future
September/October 2016
During September 2016 the Botafumeiro was used 41 times.
Hi
This does surprise me. I know it was used at noon mass on wed 19th and Thurs 20th October and will be done routinely tonight at 7.30pm mass. I saw the men practising earlier in the day. Very dramatic! On to Finisterre today. Beautiful walk ...

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.5%
  • June