• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

indecisive v spoiled for choice, a wee bit more info requir

amykate

Thanks to those who replied to my last post about getting to and starting in Astorga.

I have been feeling indecisive as for some reason I feel drawn to start at Virgen del Camino which
I understand is a few Kms oustide Leon. My dilemma is that If i start here it is unlikely) due to time constraints,16 walking days) that I will be able to walk to Finisterre (this is also something I feel drawn to do. I recon that if I cant walk to Finisterre in the time, I can get the bus from Santiago or come back in the future just to do this section. (I am sure I will be coming back to walk all of the other bits I missed)

As a result of the previous posts , I now know how to get from Madrid to Leon by bus, times etc. I will be arriving in Leon early evening on Easter Saturday. Should I immediately get the bus to Virgen Del Camino ( what is accommodation/availability like there plus any reccomendations) and start from there the next day or should I book accommodation in Leon for the Saturday night and get a bus (presuming they are running on Easter Sunday) to Virgen Del Camino on Easter Sunday ?
Thanks for all your patience and help
AmyKate

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi AmyKate.

I'd stay in Leon if I were you. It's a lovely city. Virgen del Camino does have accommodation, but it's a semi-industrial outer suburb, and although it does have facilities such as cafes/restaurants etc it isn't really very nice sitting as it does along a main road. You could either get a bus or taxi to VdC in the morning to start walking.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I stayed in Leon on a Sunday night on my first Camino and it was lovely watching all the families walking up the street towards the cathedral holding hands or other parts of each others' bodies as they went towards their favourite eating place. Of all the cities I passed through I thought it had the most laid back atmosphere and sense of well-being.

Tyrrek is correct, stay in Leon, visit the Cathedral evening and morning to see the differences the light will make, visit St. Isodoro and take the tour the Romanesque frescos are breath-taking, there is a bus from Plaza San Domingo marked Virgen del Camino every 15-20 minutes, it will save you the urban slog out a major blessing since its a good 6-7 kilometers. The last stop of the bus lets you out on the Camino right where it forks, take the left turn to Mazarife unless you just like walking next to highways. Hospital de Orbigo is a nice place, Santibanez much less so. Passing Santibanez over the hills before the Astorga lookout point you will come across a barn right on the Camino. With any luck you will meet there one of the nicest people along the Camino-David. Please have a cup of tea or juice and tell him that many remember fondly his hospitality and wish him well.\
S

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Amykate,

If there was ever a day i would walk to Virgin del camino would be easter sunday
No cars, traffic and it would not take long.
It is not enjoyable after you stay in Leon but your situation is different.

Leon , enjoy the night and sleep in and go for a few hours walk to a great albergue.
Buen Camino,
David

PS Why Finisterre and not Muxia / Finisterre ??

You can have it all. Take the ALSA bus from the Madrid airport to Leon, visit the cathedral, then go here

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Leon,+Sp ... 65,,0,6.58

and take the city bus to Virgen del Camino (it is labeled, and also goes to the airport). Get off the bus before it turns right to the airport.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Leon,+Sp ... 13,,0,5.57

Walk a long block to Hostal Central (nothing fancy; about 25E; bar and restaurant downstairs) or the albergue a block behind it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Leon,+Sp ... 3,,0,15.35

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Leon,+Sp ... 22,,0,1.74

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/alb ... dona-cinia

The albergue is among the best on the Camino, but Eroski says it opens on April 1. Such listings are not updated, and I think they have expanded the season to increase revenue. I was there in late March last year, and they were open. Send them an email and check.

If you just want to get on the Camino without the fanfare of Leon, fly into its airport, which is at Virgen del Camino, walk 1km up the hill to the Camino, and turn right. I prefer Mazarife to Villadangos, but there are at least two good restaurants in Villdangos to make up for the very basic albergue.

If you go to the village, La Virgen del Camino, which is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin don't miss visiting the gem of its contemporary church! Centrally located on the Ave Astorga which is the CF it is a haven of peace within a chaotic town. Designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk this is basically a concrete and glass box with giant stylized metal sculptures of the Apostles crossing the west façade; over the contemporary altar is the 15th century Virgin.

After the church if you cross the Ave Astorga you can follow the yellow arrows to either continue the main CF or follow the rural alternate camino route which bypasses the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife the Tio Pepe private albergue is a nice place to stay. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-tio-pepe .Last November I was welcomed there like royalty and had most delicious copious dinner! From there the alternate trail leads towards Hospital de Órbigo and the main CF.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The other thing I liked about Leon on my first Camino was that they had a welcoming delegation (I assume) from the tourist office by the bridge just as you enter the city giving out maps and advice to pilgrims. There really seemed to be an effort to make visitors enjoy their stay there. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back