• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info on Via Francigena?

BarbC

Time of past OR future Camino
Vigo to SDC - Sept. 2023, Porto to Vigo - 2024
Ivar used to host a separate website for the Via Francigena but it never gained a very large membership. It was eventually merged with this site though some posts were lost in the transfer. As someone who has walked several Caminos in Spain and also historic pilgrim routes in Sweden, Norway, the UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, and Japan I welcome the diversity of experience of pilgrimage in a broad sense to be found here on the forum.
That's so interesting that you posted this - I was looking for something in Italy to do for the future and came across info on the Via Francigena today and it looks interesting. We are thinking of the portion through Tuscany - have you done that portion? Can you direct me to any good information on this Camino - thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Canterbury to Rome but that was in 2015 so things will have changed quite a lot. A good starting point for more up to date information would be the website of the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome. @timr and @Harington are both active in the CPR and would be more able to point you in the right directions.

I'm just back from walking the Francigena. Landed in Bergamo, made my way by train to Parma and then to Pontremoli (on the back of spouse's motorbike) and then by foot to Rome. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was more expensive than I'm used to, but that was partly because we were staying in non-dormitory rooms in private accommodation.

Unfortunately the guide books I'd purchased went astray in my spouse's lost luggage, and I was reliant on the Via Francigena organisation website. And their app, that I'd downloaded. You get access to the interactive map that uses real time location. Which is great for pathfinding, but not so good if you are trying to work out accommodation (as it lists the accommodation based on distance, both south and north, from your current location). Once I was reunited with my guide books I realised how useful they would have been.

The website for booking convent/monastery accommodation is very useful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You might find the attached resources guide helpful. It describes the available guidebooks, apps, websites, Facebook pages (such as the one maintained by the Confraternity, mentioned by Bradypus, above), and also includes information about route-finding, navigation, accommodations, how to get around Italy, local transportation, where to get the pilgrim's passport, etc.

Last edited:
That's so interesting that you posted this - I was looking for something in Italy to do for the future and came across info on the Via Francigena today and it looks interesting. We are thinking of the portion through Tuscany - have you done that portion? Can you direct me to any good information on this Camino - thanks in advance!
As @Bradypus says, the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome exists to give information and support to pilgrims wanting to walk or cycle to Rome. Their website provides a free planning pdf which can be downloaded https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk/planning/, and there is also an email information service info@pilgrimstorome.org.uk. Any question will (almost invariably) be answered within 24 hours. The CPR also provides credentials, badges etc., and sells guidebooks in their online shop.

Hi barb

This might be helpful to you.

Vince

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good day, I just saw your question regarding the Via Francigena. Did you ever got any info or did you do it already as I also plan to walk the Tuscany part but have no idea where to begin and how long it will be. I really need info?

Good day, I just saw your question regarding the Via Francigena. Did you ever got any info or did you do it already as I also plan to walk the Tuscany part but have no idea where to begin and how long it will be. I really need info?
Hello.
This site may be of use to you.
Vince

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm just back from walking the Francigena. Landed in Bergamo, made my way by train to Parma and then to Pontremoli (on the back of spouse's motorbike) and then by foot to Rome. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was more expensive than I'm used to, but that was partly because we were staying in non-dormitory rooms in private accommodation.

Unfortunately the guide books I'd purchased went astray in my spouse's lost luggage, and I was reliant on the Via Francigena organisation website. And their app, that I'd downloaded. You get access to the interactive map that uses real time location. Which is great for pathfinding, but not so good if you are trying to work out accommodation (as it lists the accommodation based on distance, both south and north, from your current location). Once I was reunited with my guide books I realised how useful they would have been.

The website for booking convent/monastery accommodation is very useful.
Can you tell me which guide book you used, I don’t find the app easy

Can you tell me which guide book you used, I don’t find the app easy
I did not have a guidebook as it was with my husbands lost luggage! And yes I agree, the app is difficult to use.

I had the Lightfoot guide walking the VF and the older Cicerone guide by Raju on my kindle but this has been replaced by a much more up to date guide by Sandy Brown - either are probably fine.
Its also possible to download GPX tracks to an offline map on you phone like map.me, organic maps etc - which I did find useful.
Also useful for the VF in Italy is Gronze especially for accomodation lists

I hated the app a few years ago - it was awkward and kept stopping

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Barb
Here's some notes that we put together after walking the Via Francigena in 2022. We hope it's helpful (it includes a link to the accommodation we used).

Both the Lightfoot and Cicerone guide books are very good. The official app is also good and really it's all you need for the Tuscan section, it can be a little clumsy but it's free so you can try it before you buy anything else (hint, download the maps before you go).

Barb
Here's some notes that we put together after walking the Via Francigena in 2022. We hope it's helpful (it includes a link to the accommodation we used).

Both the Lightfoot and Cicerone guide books are very good. The official app is also good and really it's all you need for the Tuscan section, it can be a little clumsy but it's free so you can try it before you buy anything else (hint, download the maps before you go).

As an alternative, you could to look at the Via Degli Dei (Bologna to Florence). It's 5/6 days walking through the Tuscan hills. You can also find our story of walking it last year via the above link.

I wouldn't recommend one over the other: both are worth considering.

We used the free Via Francigena app and Sandy Brown's Cicerone guidebook in the fall of 2022. I thought they both worked well and complemented each other. Gronze would be a good source, too; I used it for the first time this past fall on the Madrid Way and found it very useful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back