• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Initial Planning Stages for my Camino

bulwurth

Texas Peregrino tryin' to find My Way
Time of past OR future Camino
I am in the initial stages of planning a 2013 Summer Camino. I have about 18 days to make this journey and have no clue where I should start. I am training now for this trek and am in pretty good shape. I will begin walking with a loaded back pack within the next month or so in order to see how my back handles the extra weight. I say all of that in order for experienced travelers to give me some idea as to where I begin. So there... suggestions, please.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!

I think it is great to have already started your training so far in advance. I bet by the time you go, you will be well prepared.

Hopefully this won't offend, but with so much time I would suggest spending hours reading the older posts provided here in this forum. I bet any questions you have now has been answered several times over within the last 6 months.

After you have used this forum as your "guide" in preparation, tens of questions could be narrowed down to one or two which could be easily answered the closer you get to your departure.

On the other hand, everyone here is soo helpful and patient anyway at anytime.

Like you, I also start in November for a summer Camino. I pack with many more Kgs. than I'll actually take with me. By the time I start in SJPdP, my pack is half full and easily carried. While you're taking your walks, try to include some hills, up AND down. I think some people forget to do this.

Your Camino has begun!

I appreciate your advice and will begin digging through the posts.

God bless and Good Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings from Jerusalem!
A Summer Camino will be hot very hot-30+ degrees easy bring your favorite container for your preferred beverage-a big container. 18 days is not enough to do it all so choose those sections which are totally different from where you live. Which means, if you live in someplace like maybe Kansas don't walk the mesta it will be just like home do walk the mountainous stretches which will be different-if you are Swiss do walk there for the same reason. If you live in a "classic" European city you may not get excited over the Medieval or the Renaissance art and architecture you will see in Pamplona, Estella, Burgos, Leon etc – if you live in America don't miss any one of them. And lastly, don't make a schedule, walking slower than your timetable, stopping sooner than your prepared itinerary, visiting a church or a monastery not in the guidebook together with new found friends and companions who are sharing your own real Camino is far more memorable, moving, and important.

I too are in my initial planning although not going until March 2013. Just to confirm with the earlier post - I have looked through a lot of old posts and most my questions have been answered. The ones that weren't were answered graciously. Love this forum. I hope I can be the help to others after I have experience the Camino as the people on this forum have been to me.

Scruffy, I am learning to do just what you said.... take my time. Thank you for the advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to reach Santiago start somewhere around Leon. That will be easy to get to, allow more than enough time so you're not rushing, and possibly have enough time to go on to Finisterre. A guide such as John Brierley's gives suggested daily stages, which will help with your plans, although you'll want to adapt them slightly.

Buen Camino!

Just to throw a wrench in the works;

I completed the Camino Frances in 15 days from St Jean to SDC. I did have excellent weather. I didn't plan it that way, a combination of jet lag and liking to hike a little at night made it easily doable. I'd wake up about 4-5am and walk until about 4-5pm. I'm no marvel of physical shape-just your average walker. 18 days of walking IMO is plenty of time to do StJ to SDC.

Something to think about.

M

migolito said:
Just to throw a wrench in the works;

I completed the Camino Frances in 15 days from St Jean to SDC. I did have excellent weather. I didn't plan it that way, a combination of jet lag and liking to hike a little at night made it easily doable. I'd wake up about 4-5am and walk until about 4-5pm. I'm no marvel of physical shape-just your average walker. 18 days of walking IMO is plenty of time to do StJ to SDC.

Something to think about.

M
Whew, 18 days for you is plenty of time with 12 hours of walking each day, but I don't think for the other 99% of us from SJPdP to SDC. Not "easily doable".

However, if this is what elevates the soul and keeps the body strong, go with it.

If one has the time, take the time. An incredible experience awaits you.

Trust in the arrows.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"Trust in the arrows" Can I add a caveat? After Sarria 'trust, but, verify'. It seems someone is, ah, changing some of the arrows to better suite the flow of Peregrinos past their establishments.

[/quote]
.....However, if this is what elevates the soul and keeps the body strong, go with it. If one has the time, take the time. An incredible experience awaits you.[/quote]

Agree completely! Last year on the Camino Portuguese I was overtaken by a fast walking pilgrim. I hadn't seen many pilgrims, so greeted him warmly, and got the reply "Can't stop. Got to do 40 kms today!" and he was gone.

I couldn't help but wonder at all the pleasures that guy was missing by concentrating so much on walking at speed...

Buen camino!

Stephen.

Yes, 18 days would be unusual and in my opinion not really desirable unless you're really looking for all the physical challenge aspects of it. You could miss out on the interesting sites, lazy afternoons and friendships along the way. There's also time in Santiago at the end to consider.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't checked back to see what the inital post was BUT, I strongly think of posting How SLOW can you go on the Camino! 3 times back now in 1 yr (3 complete routes)- (am very privileged and know it). This Sep/Oct I walked the final days of the Camino Madrid on to the Frances slower than last year..I did not do less kms but took more time...I look at people eating picnics by streams, sitting in Cafes having lunches (Menus) and admire their capacity to be in the moment. I like to sit in the Churches that are open, next time I might go and look for the key if it is closed. I love photography and this time brought a better (bridge) camera with me. Next time I will try more "street" photography, watching people go by, having a chat (with my little Spanish). You don't know if you will ever get back again so go slow, take your time, you are not "doing" the Camino, you are part of it, it will become part of you, if you let it.

I couldn't imagine doing it in 18 days. I took about 34, including an extra day each in Pamplona, Burgos and León. I wish I could have spent another day of reflection in Rabanal del Camino and Najera. I also felt I would have liked to have seen more in Santa Domingo de la Calazada.

I also took the detour to Samos and decided to spend the night there so I could attend vespers and the night Mass and have plenty of time to tour the Benedictine monastery. It's well worth the detour, IMHO. I think the guides really undersell the beauty of the walk from Triacastela to Samos and to Sarria from there. Note: I did not stay in the albergue at the monastery but at a hotel down the street, Domus Itineris, which was very clean and modern and only 20 euros for a room with a shared bath.

I am in pretty good shape at this point and could see value in both the physical and spiritual approaches to the journey. This morning, I did an 11k walk in new boots with a pack (unloaded). I went down a local country road and could not believe the peace I find in my silence and solitude. It was a two hour journey but it made it very clear to me the Camino was within me.

18 days seems extremely quick. I am probably a tad over 20 days if I go blister and injury free. I guess I will figure it out when I get there...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bulwurth:

My first thought is just to agree with the initial response. Most if not all questions have been answered in this forum.

Outside of SJPdP, the easiest cities to start from, because of accessibility, are Pamplona, Burgos, Leon. I am not saying you can not start from other cities but imo these are the most accessible.

That said, an 18 day Camino would be quite an accomplishment if that is what you are looking to do.

Let's just look at what an 18 day Camino would look like.
18 days would require an average of approx. 45km or 28 miles a day.
40km a day would cover 720km.That would be a Pamplona start.
35km a day would be 630km or a Logrono start.
30km a day would be 540km or a Burgos start.
20km a day would be 360km or a Leon start.

My experience is that the average Pilgrim walks about 20-30km's a day. That would indicate a average start between Leon and Burgos depending on your conditioning.

Keep in mind many people encounter minor injuries along the way (blisters, tendonitis, shin splints etc). You also might like to stop and smell some roses or go off piste to visit some place.

That said, this is your Camino.

You will find a lot of great information and opinions here.

Ultreya,
Joe

Start in SJPDP and walk straight to Burgos at 25 Kms/day that will be about 12 days. Then hop in a bus and get to Sarria and walk the last 100 Kms.

Barring injuries, I do not intend to take any form of transportation. But you are right, JP. I will allot for 30 days and then see what happens. I tend to move fast but the pace you stated seems arduous. Part of the challenge for me is the physical sacrifice required. I have never truly known pain (like I expect) over an extended time. In that suffering, I tend to find God. But again, you are correct. I will never dictate to God or the Camino. I will allow it to direct me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
migolito said:
"Trust in the arrows" Can I add a caveat? After Sarria 'trust, but, verify'. It seems someone is, ah, changing some of the arrows to better suite the flow of Peregrinos past their establishments.

We found this to have also happened coming out of Sahagun last year, the arrows had been painted out on the road and we ended up heading off on an old roman road that would have been a further walk to our nights destination. I believe it was Sahagun. Lucky, after a kilometer we backtracked and went down the other side of the freeway. Phoned our daughter who was on her own and well behind us, having slept in, about the diversion and we all got in before the day got overly hot and it was one of the few really hot ones that we encountered. We stopped at a bar coming into the next village and they told us someone goes out and paints over the arrow nightly to divert pilgrims through their town. A good camino map book can sometimes be a wonderful thing. However this was one of the few times we needed it.

Kelly

I agree with Tyrrek and would start from Leon. You should be able to pace yourself nicely from there. It would be a shame to start further away from Santiago and feel time-pressured.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back