• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

International SIM Cards?

mhrheinecker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Chemin de St Jacques (2014)
Cammino di Francesco (2016)
We live in the USA and are interested in a SIM card that would cover Ireland, Portugal and Spain for about 3 months. I have an unlocked GSM cellphone (call and texts only). Does anyone have experience with any of the international SIM cards such as WorldSIM, OneSIM, or Telestial? Recommendations, please.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have used TravelSIM for many years. The plan I signed up for is great for being able to be contacted as it involves no roaming charges which can otherwise mount up quickly on my Australian phone. But it isn't all that great for outgoing calls and very expensive for data compared to buying a local SIM on arrival.

The last couple of trips I have used a belt and braces approach, with the TravelSIM for any voice calls and a local SIM just for data. I can use that for VOIP calls using Whatsapp or the Facebook Messanger apps as well. This year the SIM provider (Telia, in Norway) offered 'free' local calls which I didn't need to use while I was in Norway, and weren't available once I had left.

Remember that, in Europe, the roaming rules changed this year, and if you are only travelling in Europe then getting a local PAYG SIM on arrival now looks even more attractive compared to my TravelSIM.

We've used onesimcard in several countries with zero problems. A little more expensive but you can top on their website and see your usage in real time. Super easy to use. Their Europe and more SIM is what you would need to cover anywhere in in Europe.

I have also used onesim. It worked well for me Norway and South Africa. I think it is more expensive that buying a local sim card but the convenience of having it ready immediately upon entering the country has some value. Keeping the same SIM thru onesim gets to be expensive if you don't travel frequently as they require a certain amount of usage or your SIM either goes defunct or you have a charge added to your account. I plan to use it in Sept during my Camino from Le Puy to SJPdP and then possibly let it go. I have used the Orange card in Spain before I purchased the onesim and it worked great for me both in Spain and subsequently in Israel. It was easy to top up in tobacco shops.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure if this addresses your question but I'm doing my first Camino this September. I have an unlocked iPhone and I'm planning to get a local SIM plan (Vodafone). After the Camino I'll be traveling to London & Paris -- as far as I can tell the local SIM plan in Spain should cover me throughout the rest of the trip. I also plan to be relying heavily on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc for communication as those won't be impacted by the new SIM card.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question but I'm doing my first Camino this September. I have an unlocked iPhone and I'm planning to get a local SIM plan (Vodafone). After the Camino I'll be traveling to London & Paris -- as far as I can tell the local SIM plan in Spain should cover me throughout the rest of the trip. I also plan to be relying heavily on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc for communication as those won't be impacted by the new SIM card.

I am wondering about the Wifi availability along the Le Puy route. Do most of the gites have Wi-Fi available?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This wasn't in Galicia but on recent trips in Andalucia all hotels and many bars (I imagine also coffeeshops) had WiFi

Thank you. Since posting this, I have learned that starting this past June, EU countries are not allowed to charge roaming fees for SIM cards purchased in other EU countries. So like you, I will purchase one in Ireland, and it should cover me in Portugal and Spain.

As indicated above the law changed this year. I bought in May Orange SIM in Spain, that I used only for data, cost 20 Euro per month, and it was good in ALL EU countries. I traveled to Italy, Czech Rep., Poland, Hungary, Croatia and worked well. If you are not fluent in Spanish, I recommend to paying three months up front. They keep sending you text messages, and I did not understand all. If you try to renew every month, you might have problems with making choices if you are not fluent. It is not as easy as “do you want to extend service another month?”. There are so many different options, and I eventually gave up. I was in France and could not get help on Spanish Sim. I lived without phone (except WiFi) for a week as a result.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.