Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pension in Monforte de Lemos

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Has anyone contact information for Pension Minos in Monforte de Lemos? I only have a telephone number and its difficult phoning from South Africa. Alternatively, any other recommendations for a pension or hostel there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed in Hotel Puente Romano, modern and comfortable enough, great views to the old bridge and the river. In Monforte, La Polar is definitely the place to eat, the daily menu is a bit more expensive than usual, but the quality is extraordinary

I think it was @Theatregal, or someone else walking the Invierno a few years back, who recommended MON ComeySueña. It’s on booking, good location. Basic new Ikea-like furniture, good homemade bakery on first floor, and I think I might have eaten a very good salad there for dinner, but I’m not 100% sure on that. I’ve also stayed in the parador, and one other place I just can’t remember so it mustn’t have been too special!

Mark El Polar in your notes - Amancio can be counted on for excellent recommendations. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Has anyone contact information for Pension Minos in Monforte de Lemos? I only have a telephone number
jennysa, I have stayed here twice. Very clean and spacious rooms with very large bathtubs. It is run by a most welcoming family who live on the first floor. It is conveniently in the town center.
You are correct all reservations are via that phone number. *Casa Miño. +34 982 401 850 No Email or WhatsApp contact. I suggested to them on my last visit how useful WhatsApp would be.
From latest on Paxinas Galegas still no WhatsApp.
El Polar 👏👏😋😋 is literally down 2 blocks and there is a laundromat nearby as well.

Attachments

• AED538DF-7419-49BC-9B0F-89366D3856DD.jpeg
    AED538DF-7419-49BC-9B0F-89366D3856DD.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Hostel Medievo? It's cheaper than most there, and it's on both Booking and Whatsapp.

I definitely put Miños on my OGD (obsessive Google doc) to call once in in Spain though. (And El Polar)

Does anyone have any thoughts on Hostel Medievo? It's cheaper than most there, and it's on both Booking and Whatsapp.

I definitely put Miños on my OGD (obsessive Google doc) to call once in in Spain though. (And El Polar)
I would prefer to prebook than phoning when in Spain because my Spanish is poor so I have difficulty in hearing what is said. this is where my friend is joining me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pension Miño has what appears to be a landline number but will take a text message. I would suggest sending them a Google translated text, here:

+34 982401850

I stayed there in 2021. It's a lovely old place with dark wood panelling, lace curtains, plants, quirky ornaments and the smell of floor polish. Spotlessly clean rooms and a very welcoming family, I would recommend!

Screenshot_20230117-134153_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I think it was @Theatregal, or someone else walking the Invierno a few years back, who recommended MON ComeySueña. It’s on booking, good location.
Yes, this was a memorable stay. Very kind people, central to everything, very simple, comfortable, airy and clean with a great cafe downstairs. I loved the little tray set on the bed with a map of the city, bottle of water, glass and info about local sites and restaurants. My favourite thing was the map that the woman who checked me in, sketched for me when I mentioned some specific places I wanted to visit 😃

IMG_3720.jpeg IMG_3733.jpeg

Pension Miño has what appears to be a landline number but will take a text message. I would suggest sending them a Google translated text, here:

+34 982401850

I tried texting that number this afternoon. I'll update when I hear back!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would prefer to prebook than phoning when in Spain because my Spanish is poor so I have difficulty in hearing what is said. this is where my friend is joining me.
I'm the same. I have passable travel Spanish, but struggle on the phone. I did make a little system for myself for when it's necessary though, just for that night or the next. I use Google Translate liberally and have a "script".

First thing:

¡Hola! Lo siento, mi español no es muy bueno......

I speak a little slower and with a little "rougher" accent than I normally have to make it clear they should respond simply and slowly.

I memorize the script, even have read it off Translate while on speaker phone.

Me gustaría reservar una habitación doble con dos camas para dos peregrinas para esta noche. ¿Es eso posible?

And then I listen for key words in reply, like "sí" and "su nombre". It has worked just fine multiple times.

For more complex calls, I've always been able to find a bilingual local or fellow peregrino to call for me though.

I'm happy that my walking companion this time though is fully bilingual, so she will be on phone duty.

Not trying to browbeat anyone with WhatsApp, but the beauty of it is that you can communicate in writing, and reserve a day or so ahead. Write a basic message in English - I would be stunned if anyone owning accommodation in Spain would not understand a very basic message in English with date and number of people and types and number of rooms. And then you have a written record of the response so that price and type of room are in the thread.

I remember once last year on the Geira, I arrived in Castro Laboreiro and went to the hotel where I had communicated with the place via WhatsApp the day before. The woman who was there to check me in asked me what price I had been quoted. I said I couldn’t remember, and she then proceeded to tell me the rate was 50€. I knew that was not what we had agreed upon, so I took a look at my WhatsApp, and I saw that I had been told it would be 28€. All I had to do was show the message and it was fine. I think, in fairness to the woman checking me in, that the 50€ price was the standard price and the price I got was a special deal, either because I was a pilgrim, or because whoever was writing the message was in a good mood at the time.

My only point is that you can preserve a lot of flexibility and not locking yourself into an itinerary by using WhatsApp on the camino, even if you would never want to have a spoken conversation on the phone.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not trying to browbeat anyone with WhatsApp, but the beauty of it is that you can communicate in writing, and reserve a day or so ahead. Write a basic message in English - I would be stunned if anyone owning accommodation in Spain would not understand a very basic message in English with date and number of people and types and number of rooms. And then you have a written record of the response so that price and type of room are in the thread.
My only point is that you can preserve a lot of flexibility and not locking yourself into an itinerary by using WhatsApp on the camino, even if you would never want to have a spoken conversation on the phone.

Besides my questionable phone Spanish, that's a big reason I like using Whatsapp (and email and Booking.com) is the security of a reservation in writing. I've usually only resorted to the phone call when I had to, day of.

And it's all really easy to cancel or change as necessary. (I will only use Booking on reservations with generous free cancellation)

Another great reason to reserve in writing - WhatsApp & email - is you can clearly emphasize that you are a pilgrim. And that means discounts sometimes.

I love that WhatsApp is so widely used in Spain. (I don't love the Facebook connection)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back