Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying at Rectoral de Castillon to break up stage from Monforte de Lemos to Chantada

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
I’d really like to split up the big stage from Monforte to Chantada and I see several recommendations to call the Rectoral from Pineiro. I emailed them about that, and they said they’d supply me with the phone number of a taxi—they don’t do transfers. (That’s fine.)

I’ve looked on a couple of maps and it looks really far from the Camino. Is it at all possible to walk there? Are there any recent additions to places to stay in the middle of this stage?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gronze shows a few options with contact information. Torre Vilarino, at about halfway, is great and it has a good pilgrim rate. Also just 7-8 km before Chantada, the albergue at Diomondi is in the former bishop's palace.

A Yes to Vilariño from me.

I stayed at Torre Vilariño Rural House last year.
I highly recommend it.. Just a few hundred metres off the Camino.
Amazing old coaching Inn. Lovely hosts, great food, got my laundry done. Read the reviews on Gronze :)

It's really not that far off the Camino.
And if you have google maps or a Camino app of some kind, you don't need to retrace your steps.
It's easy to just divert off and back onto the route. Hardly adds much extra distance at all.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just planned my stages for my walk in April and booked Casa rural Da Villa in Piñiero, my stage starts at A Proba do Brollón that day. The Casa is also mentioned on Gronze. Booked through their website and got a quick reply. €50 for a night. Looks lovely on the photos.
When will you be walking? I start from Ponferrada on April 20, walking the Salvador before that.

I also highly recommend Torre Vilariño, great place, good food and the owner is lovely. As @Robo said, it is not far off the Camino at all and the following day you can rejoin it without retracing your steps.
Also, from there you can walk to the museum ( 5 min away ) and is very interesting. Shows you what Portomarin was like before it was flooded etc Really worth a visit.

and it looks really far from the Camino.

Yes, the Rectoral is about 3 km from the Camino. There is a closer Casa Rural, the Casa Rural da Vila, which is in Piñeiro and about 750 m from the Camino. But neither of these two places really splits the walk in half, because Piñeiro is only 11 km from Monforte.

Torre Vilariño is a favorite of mine, too, and as @domigee said it gives you a great location to visit the museum. It cuts the Monforte to Chantada stage much more evenly, Also since the day is short from Monforte to Torre Vilariño, it’s a great idea to add on a 6 km circle loop that takes you to some lovely views over the Miño River and a Romanesque church or two.

The new albergue in Diomondi, in the Episcopal Palace that is added on to the side of a Romanesque church, looks incredible. It is more than halfway to Chantada, though, so it leaves you with a very short day the next day.

But whatever you do, I highly recommend at least a short stop to see the Diomondi church. I have never been able to get inside, but the hospitalera of the new albergue has the key and that is one of my main motivations for deciding to sleep there this year!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gronze shows a few options with contact information. Torre Vilarino, at about halfway, is great and it has a good pilgrim rate. Also just 7-8 km before Chantada, the albergue at Diomondi is in the former bishop's palace.
Thanks for the reply! I’m actually starting at A Pobra, so Diomondi would be a longish day. The albergue there does sound beautiful. I’ll check out Torre Vilarino.

A Yes to Vilariño from me.
Great! I’ll check it out. Thank you!

I just planned my stages for my walk in April and booked Casa rural Da Villa in Piñiero, my stage starts at A Proba do Brollón that day. The Casa is also mentioned on Gronze. Booked through their website and got a quick reply. €50 for a night. Looks lovely on the photos.
When will you be walking? I start from Ponferrada on April 20, walkin the Salvador before that.
I’ll be walking through there in August. Buen Camino!

I also highly recommend Torre Vilariño, great place, good food and the owner is lovely. As @Robo said, it is not far off the Camino at all and the following day you can rejoin it without retracing your steps.
Also, from there you can walk to the museum ( 5 min away ) and is very interesting. Shows you what Portomarin was like before it was flooded etc Really worth a visit.
Sounds like Vilarino is the way to go. Thanks for the tip about the museum!
Torre Vilariño is a favorite of mine, too, and as @domigee said it gives you a great location to visit the museum. It cuts the Monforte to Chantada stage much more evenly,
Thanks for the reply! I’ll actually starting in A Pobra that day, so Diamondi will be a long day. But I’ll definitely stop in the next morning. Looks like Torre Vilarino is the way to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back