Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno to SDC rather than Sarria

Started in SJPDP in mis-April. At Sarria we took a 30 min bus ride to Montforte de Lemos to finish to SDC via the Invierno route. Two days in and at Rodiero and the difference with the CF from Sarria is profound. There are circa 10 pilgrims in the Hostal this evening. It’s not every bodies cup of tea as the stages are longer and without cafes etc., but are very beautiful and as noted above quite. One obviously misses the social side of the CF but the local farmers are very friendly & helpfull.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Started in SJPDP in mis-April. At Sarria we took a 30 min bus ride to Montforte de Lemos to finish to SDC via the Invierno route. Two days in and at Rodiero and the difference with the CF from Sarria is profound. There are circa 10 pilgrims in the Hostal this evening. It’s not every bodies cup of tea as the stages are longer and without cafes etc., but are very beautiful and as noted above quite. One obviously misses the social side of the CF but the local farmers are very friendly & helpfull.
Thanks, @KeyserSoza. . That's exactly what we were thinking of doing in the fall when we're planning to walk the Frances again. There are certain place on the Frances we'd like to see once more -- O Cebreiro, Samos, for example -- so didn't want to cut off to the Invierno at Ponferrada, but don't think we can face up to the crowds after Sarria. (We'll probably also avoid the crowds in the beginning by hitting the Frances via the Camino Baztan). Good to hear that others are thinking along the same lines, and have successfully made the leap.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Sshhh! You're supposed to keep it to yourself! 🤣

Thanks, @KeyserSoza. . That's exactly what we were thinking of doing in the fall when we're planning to walk the Frances again. There are certain place on the Frances we'd like to see once more -- O Cebreiro, Samos, for example -- so didn't want to cut off to the Invierno at Ponferrada, but don't think we can face up to the crowds after Sarria. (We'll probably also avoid the crowds in the beginning by hitting the Frances via the Camino Baztan). Good to hear that others are thinking along the same lines, and have successfully made the leap.
You will miss Las Medulas (mirador de Orellan) and the Rio Sil Canyon. Anyway me and my girlfriend did the same this april and may (we are going to the beach 10 km from Muxia now), even for the Baztan, and we find those routes absolutely fantastic!

Loved walking the Camino Invierno. Started in SJPdP and when we reached Ponferrada, simply took a left turn and moved on to the Invierno. Absolutely beautiful walk, well marked and many friendly locals along the way. After dealing with the Sarria crowds on my first Francés, the Invierno was a joy. With fewer services and just a sprinkle of Pilgrims it may not be for everyone - I loved it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will miss Las Medulas (mirador de Orellan) and the Rio Sil Canyon. Anyway me and my girlfriend did the same this april and may (we are going to the beach 10 km from Muxia now), even for the Baztan, and we find those routes absolutely fantastic!
Good to hear! Looking forward to Muxia myself.

And yes, if we stay on the Frances to Sarria, we will miss Las Medulas and Rio Sil Canyon, but making choices always involves missing something. While we'll miss those places, we'll get to re-experience that magical walk along the ridge out of O Cebreiro and gaze in awe again at the murals at Samos, not to mention explore the alternative after Cacabellos that we didn't do the first time around.

And in the end, my "plan" is really just an idea. Maybe we'll get to Ponferrada and decide we're already sick of the Frances, and cut off on the Invierno there. Or maybe, we'll be loving the Frances and the new friends we've made so much that we'll decide to stick with the Frances after all, even after Sarria. For that matter, maybe we'll fly to Paris and decide we don't want to continue to Spain at all, and we'll walk to SJPDP via the Voie de Tours.

Who knows? We've made those kind of "game-day decisions before" -- tossing overboard at the last minute the "plan" we thought we had. Did it just last week, in fact, in Italy.

As my kids are fond of saying, "It's all good."

Anyway, as I sit here in my kitchen, I'm envious of you on the beach near Muxia.

Last edited:
And in the end, my "plan" is really just an idea. Maybe we'll get to Ponferrada and decide we're already sick of the Frances, and cut off on the Invierno there. Or maybe, we'll be loving the Frances and the new friends we've made so much that we'll decide to stick with the Frances after all.
That's exactly my "plan." I'll be joining the Francés from the Aragonés on Saturday at Obanos. I will decide when I reach Ponferrada which direction I want to go.

Good to hear! Looking forward to Muxia myself.

And yes, if we stay on the Frances to Sarria, we will miss Las Medulas and Rio Sil Canyon, but making choices always involves missing something. While we'll miss those places, we'll get to re-experience that magical walk along the ridge out of O Cebreiro and gaze in awe again at the murals at Samos, not to mention explore the alternative after Cacabellos that we didn't do the first time around.

And in the end, my "plan" is really just an idea. Maybe we'll get to Ponferrada and decide we're already sick of the Frances, and cut off on the Invierno there. Or maybe, we'll be loving the Frances and the new friends we've made so much that we'll decide to stick with the Frances after all, even after Sarria. For that matter, maybe we'll fly to Paris and decide we don't want to continue to Spain at all, and we'll walk to SJPDP via the Voie de Tours.

Who knows? We've made those kind of "game-day decisions before" -- tossing overboard at the last minute the "plan" we thought we had. Did it just last week, in fact, in Italy.

As my kids are fond of saying, "It's all good."

Anyway, as I sit here in my kitchen, I'm envious of you on the beach near Muxia.
I share with you this little "concha" I've found this afternoon by the ocean!

Attachments

• IMG_20240523_211250_452.jpg
    IMG_20240523_211250_452.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 3
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's exactly my "plan." I'll be joining the Francés from the Aragonés on Saturday at Obanos. I will decide when I reach Ponferrada which direction I want to go.
I think you will appreciate the quieter and also beautiful Invierno route, particularly as someone who is well familiar with the other Camino routes.

I think you will appreciate the quieter and also beautiful Invierno route, particularly as someone who is well familiar with the other Camino routes.
To be honest, I did enjoy the Aragonés, but it was a bit too quiet for me. I'm excited to be on the Francés now, at least for a while. I'll evaluate when I get to Ponferrada. I'm looking forward to not having to carry a lot of food or walk 15 - 20 km before I get to the first bar!

To be honest, I did enjoy the Aragonés, but it was a bit too quiet for me. I'm excited to be on the Francés now, at least for a while. I'll evaluate when I get to Ponferrada. I'm looking forward to not having to carry a lot of food or walk 15 - 20 km before I get to the first bar!
I will say, Terri, that when i walked the Invierno in October 2022, it WAS very quiet. However, thst appears to be changing

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back