• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPad Mini - Yes or No?

Should I take my iPad Mini on the Camino Mozarabe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my iPad mini with me on the Camino.

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
1) reading on the airplane (but I could just buy a book)
2) looking at maps of the Malaga route (but maybe they'd show up fine on my iPhone)
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive
2) I could break, lose, or have it stolen
3) I really would prefer to not be online much

Feedback?
Is it worth the extra 12 ounces of weight?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are using it instead of the iphone, as your camera, it's a pain to dig out to take pictures. It won't fit in a pocket. It's not coming out of your bag in the rain because you aren't opening the bag in the rain.

It's great for games.

My suggestion is, leave it at home. Load books on your iphone, for those occasions you want to read in bed, take a book for the plane. It's tedious, but you can use the iphone for blogging.

I had my ipad mini on one mini camino and wished I'd left it behind.

I believe an iPhone is enough. I did everything in the past from a Nokia phone, to an iPhone, and now android phone , which includes blogging. Shouldn't have to charge more than one device every evening. It complicates things. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan on bringing my Android phone for maps, communication, blogging, etc., and my Kindle Paperwhite for reading. The Paperwhite weights less than 7 ounces, and the battery can last for weeks.

I have also looked at the low cost Kindle Fires. I'm planning on leaving a suitcase in Madrid, and I'd like to have a color tablet for the long flight to Spain, but I don't want to bring my more expensive Android tablet. I wouldn't feel too bad if I lost a $50 tablet. (though of course I wouldn't like it much!)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/?tag=casaivar02-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S/?tag=casaivar02-20

I leave mi ipad mini at home, my husband takes his and so does my walking friend.... I've never missed it. Maps and books are on my phone and I also blogged from it.
The fewer material things to worry about - and carry! - the better. (Imo) :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
2) looking at maps of the Malaga route (but maybe they'd show up fine on my iPhone)
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive

Feedback?

I really thought about taking my i pad mini as well, but decided to just take my i phone 6s. After all, on the 6S I could...

1. phone home, ET!
2. text
3. post to FB and/or twitter and/or email
4. listen to audiobooks while walking
5. take photographs
6. take little videos
7. read books downloaded

The screen is not as big or fun on the i phone, but again---as Domigee said--one less thing to worry about!

I always find that a pack with less stuff is just easier to work with, and also, I have seen a few pilgrims unload chargers, and phones, and i pads, and etc etc---isn't part of the fun to leave that stuff at home?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Took mine last time, won't go without it this year. And I will be 72 the week after I start in October. For me it was, and will be worth, the small addition of weight. But I tend to carry a heavier pack.

Last edited:
I'm in the very small take it camp. It is important to me to have it with me, but quite understand why so many disagree. I keep mine in my bum bag and if the weather is damp, it fits perfectly into a small ziplock bag.

I'm in the very small take it camp. It is important to me to have it with me, but quite understand why so many disagree. I keep mine in my bum bag and if the weather is damp, it fits perfectly into a small ziplock bag.

Maggie, do you take photos with it?
I was a little concerned about trying to read the Wikilocs maps on my iPhone.
So small.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was given to me for tne Camino and I loved having it as it meant I could read In The afternoon stand evenings, on The buses/train/plane at a fraction of the weight of books. Also The airline I fly to The Camino with uses tabletas to show In flight movies. I still use my IPhone for pictures, for quickly checking e-mail I prefer The larger Mini IPad.

It was given to me for tne Camino and I loved having it as it meant I could read In The afternoon stand evenings, on The buses/train/plane at a fraction of the weight of books. Also The airline I fly to The Camino with uses tabletas to show In flight movies. I still use my IPhone for pictures, for quickly checking e-mail I prefer The larger Mini IPad.

Ooooh man, it's such a difficult decision.
I can't get Wikilocs on it, but I CAN read on it.
Did you just use the flip cover on it?
I made a bubble wrap envelope for mine. I was afraid it might get beat up on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Attachments

• 982b4db2-a17b-433f-b740-fae3729e5d7e.jpg
    982b4db2-a17b-433f-b740-fae3729e5d7e.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 36
  • bbe920fb-0dc5-4dc7-b639-53d78733a94b.jpg
    bbe920fb-0dc5-4dc7-b639-53d78733a94b.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 34
I only had my IPad mini At that time I did not take a phone. My family was just too far away to have a conversation with. After so many years in the military communication overseas was written or eventually email.

I would no longer take an IPad. Like Deb I will take my IPhone just due to space. I played cards a lot with people. My IPad just took up too much room & was cumbersome.

Thanks everyone. The votes are 4 and 4. Lol. It's like boots and shoes. I'll decide in the morning. I'm writing this one my phone. Maybe that's all I need. :).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took my ipad mini and will be taking it again this fall. I do so many things with it, including updating family with emails. I do not carry a phone. I like taking pictures on the ipad, as they are large enough to see clearly. I bought a small fabric purse with a shoulder strap, which I wear around my neck to carry the ipad and have it handy for photos. It is a good size for reading and for looking at maps. It works for me.

I took my ipad mini and will be taking it again this fall. I do so many things with it, including updating family with emails. I do not carry a phone. I like taking pictures on the ipad, as they are large enough to see clearly. I bought a small fabric purse with a shoulder strap, which I wear around my neck to carry the ipad and have it handy for photos. It is a good size for reading and for looking at maps. It works for me.

I agree it's better for maps but unfortunately (and unbelievably) Wikilocs can't be used on the iPad :(

I agree it's better for maps but unfortunately (and unbelievably) Wikilocs can't be used on the iPad :(

Annie, I have the wikiloc app on my iPad mini. It is much easier to see. Although when I record trails I use my phone.

Also, I used the iPad as a camera for my first Camino and the photos were fine, but I really missed the zoom function, so now I take a camera.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Annie, I have the wikiloc app on my iPad mini. It is much easier to see. Although when I record trails I use my phone.

Also, I used the iPad as a camera for my first Camino and the photos were fine, but I really missed the zoom function, so now I take a camera.

I went to the app store and couldn't find it . That's weird. I'll look again.

This used to be a tough decision for me. My iPad mini has been by constant companion for so many things. However, as the phones have gotten so good I will only take my Samsung 6 with me. The screen is big enough that I can read my books easily and the maps are sufficient. Plus, I prefer the camera on the phone to the iPad.

At the end of the day it is all a matter of choice for you, Annie. I have a high degree of faith in you and your understanding of what will work best for you. I am just jealous that I will not be there this year. I look forward to next year when I plan to have three months dedicated to the Camino - Le Puy to Santiago with a stay over in Lourdes.

Keep us up to date. I always have enjoyed your posts.

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive

Feedback?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I got it! I had to transfer it from iTunes to my iPad. It wasn't in the App Store. Ok. I'm taking it. The maps are so much easier to see. Thanks everyone. Time to try to catch 4 hours sleep before my flight.

I got it! I had to transfer it from iTunes to my iPad. It wasn't in the App Store. Ok. I'm taking it. The maps are so much easier to see. Thanks everyone. Time to try to catch 4 hours sleep before my flight.

Buen camino Annie. Forum members @marilyn van graan and her walking partner set off from Malaga this morning. I was in Malaga yesterday for a failed meet up attempt with Marilyn, but noticed that the church of Santiago seems to be closed for maintenance. You should be able to get your first stamp in the cathedral.

I need to return to Malaga in the next few days to collect a package, perhaps we could meet briefly for a coffee?

Sweet dreams!

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive

Feedback?
Last year I took my Ipad mini. I did not have a smartphone. I used the ipad with Skype a couple times and to take a couple photos, but mainly I used it to email and send my etravelog. My old eyes could deal with the ipad mini much better than a cellphone! I carried it in an Eagle Creek tablet cover inside my fanny pack, which I wore in front to counter balance my pack. I also carried my point and shoot which I used all the time. For my purposes and intent, I have found the ipad mini worked well.
Buen camino, Anniesantiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm with Buz. A little more weight for men in our generation is not an issue. I use my phone for maps and photos while I walk and the Mini for blogging after the day's walk. I could get away with just an iPhone but why would I want to?

Buen camino Annie

I need to return to Malaga in the next few days to collect a package, perhaps we could meet briefly for a coffee?

Sweet dreams!

Let's try. I'll be in Malaga the 17th and 18th. Btw Maggie, the large pension you mention in your blog being at the start of the trail has single rooms for 25 euros. I'm booked there the night of the 18th so I can just get up and go.

I'm with Buz. A little more weight for men in our generation is not an issue. I use my phone for maps and photos while I walk and the Mini for blogging after the day's walk. I could get away with just an iPhone but why would I want to?
I'm sold. I brought the iPad. I managed to upload Maggie's wikilic maps and can open them in the iPad. But when I try to make them larger with no internet it is a fail. Bummer. If anyone can tell me how to use this app on the trail I'd appreciate it. Do I need a data plan???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could enlarge each section when you have wifi and take a screen shot so you can refer to the photo later.

I'm sold. I brought the iPad. I managed to upload Maggie's wikilic maps and can open them in the iPad. But when I try to make them larger with no internet it is a fail. Bummer. If anyone can tell me how to use this app on the trail I'd appreciate it. Do I need a data plan???
MAPS.ME work offline (tested and works well). free app

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive

Feedback?
No. Leave it at home.... 12 oz of extra weight, one more thing to worry about and the most important reason: it's a distraction.

I THINK I'd enjoy it for
3) blogging the trip

I WORRY because:
1) it was expensive

Feedback?
I took mine on the Camino Frances three years ago and will take it again when I start the Portuguese Camino in a couple of weeks. It's only as heavy as a small book. I wouldn't leave home without it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with taking it. I can't imagine writing a blog with a phone. Three years ago, on the Frances, I purchased a Kindle and left my IPAD at home. Last year I purchased an IPAD Air. Both times I blogged with them. When I walk the Portuguese in September I plan to bring my IPAD Air and the keyboard attachment. Blogging will be that much easier since I tend to do quite a bit of writing. The weight is minor...I prefer to leave something else home than to leave my IPAD....but that's only me!

I am now walking the augusta and after this the Plata. I'm so glad i took my iPad air2 with me. You don't feel that little more or less in weight! Just do it.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a Nexus 7 with clip on bluetooth keyboard last year (as I was blogging) and shall do the same this August.

I find a smart phone has too small a screen to use as an ereader.

Maps.me (as mentioned above) looks better on it than my phone

I can play backgammon, check my hostal bookings (booking.com) and check in my flight, watch a movie . . . but probably won't :)

My son had his iphone and I, the ipad. I found myself saying far too often.....can I use your phone to ....etc... I did get some great scenes with the ipad, and some terrific bursts, and it was great for going to a library and reading about where we were changing our minds about destinations, etc. And mostly, on the road, I demurred from bringing it out of my bag....

Hi Annie -- the mini iPad can be handy. My dad brought his on our walks and prefers it over the iPhone -- much easier for him to read books and for his fingers to type email messages, etc. I used it for blogging (easy to do on the mini) and could download my camera pictures to use in the blogs. For us it's worth the extra weight, especially if overall pack weight is light.
Of course, everyone has different preferences and you’ll find what works best for you. Buen Camino on your journey!
** I won’t be taking my dad’s mini on my solo walk this summer so will have to make due without it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use google maps on my iPad. If I know I've not got WiFi, then I identify the area/ location I want (whilst I'm in WiFi connection); zoom into detailed info before zooming out; then I save this location to read offline. Even without any WiFi connection (once I'm on the road), my position shows on this offline map so I can see where I am at any time. I had a furious argument with a friend one time who said that even seeing my blue dotted position would cost money. It doesn't. But I can't explain why it doesn't. I just know it works!!
Buen Camino @Anniesantiago
Suzanne :)

If you are using it instead of the iphone, as your camera, it's a pain to dig out to take pictures. It won't fit in a pocket. It's not coming out of your bag in the rain because you aren't opening the bag in the rain.

It's great for games.

My suggestion is, leave it at home. Load books on your iphone, for those occasions you want to read in bed, take a book for the plane. It's tedious, but you can use the iphone for blogging.

I had my ipad mini on one mini camino and wished I'd left it behind.
I would agree. I always have my nexus 6 phone, which is quite large, with me on any trip. I have of line games in there, my entire Kindle and book library. I take photos with it. Download Spanish for of line use to communicate. I use Wi-Fi when available to Facebook and email family. No need to anything bigger/heavier. I'll get a Spanish soon card with data when I get there.

I am beginning to enjoy it for blogging. However I am having a small problem. If I take photos with my iPhone and want to use them for my blog, they do not always show up in the iPad gallery. Help?

PS. It does fit comfortably in my Macabi skirt pocket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am beginning to enjoy it for blogging. However I am having a small problem. If I take photos with my iPhone and want to use them for my blog, they do not always show up in the iPad gallery. Help?

PS. It does fit comfortably in my Macabi skirt pocket.
It takes time for stuff to sync, and you need good WiFi or internet connection. There is a cable for transferring files but only latest iPhone models. And then just one more cable.....
I think you may regret bringing it, considering 12 oz and the fact that your smartphone can do everything and is a fraction of the weight.
Bien Camino
Janice

...PS. It does fit comfortably in my Macabi skirt pocket.
That's useful to know, Annie, as I've purchased a Macabi skirt after the many good reports about it in this forum.
Suzanne :)

Annie,
I am taking my 6 inch Kindle. Hubby is taking his phone. Kindle is inexpensive if I lose it. Has all the maps, books, documents, translator app, etc. and for my old eyes is much easier to read than the phone.
Janet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting read...

I'll be taking my iPad (Via de la Plata next September). I plan to carry it in my backpack (so it won't distract from the 'walking'), and that's just why I'll be leaving the iPhone home. Just taking an old dumb phone for urgent calls whe wifi is not available (like: Hola señora hospitalera, estoy en frente del albergue: ¿dónde puedo coger la llave por favor?). Communication with home will be through facetime/skype and e-mail. And of course i'll upload my pics to the cloud once in a while (will be using real camera, not the iPad mini for that...)

Buen camino to all

Miguel de Flandes

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.