• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irún to Bilbao in March or October or wait for another window?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hola a todos. I currently have two windows to do the Irún to Bilbao section of the Camino del Norte, in mid-March and mid-October with 7 walking days. It's a stretch that I really would like to do as I have friends in Bilbao. I've heard the weather can be pretty bad in both and it could be muddy. I did the Francés last October and it was glorious sunshine for the most part but they may have been luck of the draw. If anyone has done it around that time, how was it?

Also heard accommodation might be a problem too; is that right?

Really I'm looking for advice about whether I should try to do it in one of these two windows or whether to just wait until another year when I can do it in nicer weather and during the weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi tommy
When I started del Norte in March a few years ago, many albergues opened that week - holy week - in the lead-up to Easter. In 2024 Easter is last week in March, so you might be a tad early for much of the accommodation to have pushed up the shutters - but I suggest you go through Gronze to check opening dates. Seems like quite a lot has changed in the Basque country in recent years as per Dave's report

FWIW I had a couple of days warmish sun, then a couple of days rain. In places the ground was very muddy, but it wasn't a big deal - a tiny impact on the camino experience and one that was easy to laugh about afterwards. I wouldn't let that influence your plans. But I'd say your odds of agreeable weather are more likely with a mid-October trip. And that is what I'd choose.

Last edited:
In places the ground was very muddy, but it wasn't a big deal - a tiny impact on the camino experience and one that was easy to laugh about afterwards.
Thanks for your message, namesake. I have actually heard a few mixed reports on this; some people have said it can actually make the experience quite dangerous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmmm, I'm surprised. If you have walked all of the CF in the shoulder season I'd expect you to feel fully equipped in terms of enterprise and resilience to cope with the occasional muddy obstacle.
You may not have exactly felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear.... but you will have climbed up the Pyrenees, descended Alto de Perdon, pushed across the featureless Alto de Atapuerca, trudged the endless windswept plain of the meseta, negotiated the rocky descent at El Acebo and ventured into and out of the mysterious and often rain-soaked kingdom of Galicia.
With all that under your belt I don't really understand the weight you put on these (presumably online?) mixed reports.
*Blade Runner

Hmmm, I'm surprised. If you have walked all of the CF in the shoulder season I'd expect you to feel fully equipped in terms of enterprise and resilience to cope with the occasional muddy obstacle.
You may not have exactly felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear.... but you will have climbed up the Pyrenees, descended Alto de Perdon, pushed across the featureless Alto de Atapuerca, trudged the endless windswept plain of the meseta, negotiated the rocky descent at El Acebo and ventured into and out of the mysterious and often rain-soaked kingdom of Galicia.
With all that under your belt I don't really understand the weight you put on these (presumably online?) mixed reports.
*Blade Runner
Maybe you're right and I'm paying too much heed to online comments. Still, I would be interested to hear from others about whether they would have rather waited to do this stretch during the traditional season or just go with what I have.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've walked this section in May and September, which I assume are in the 'traditional season.' It's a very nice walk through some interesting towns and villages. The Peace Museum in Gernika is well worth a visit.

I remember a lot of rain in May, and a bad patch of mud on a forest trail near Markina. I was glad of my hiking poles, but I didn't feel in any danger. The same area wasn't particularly muddy in September.

I don't think there's any way of predicting the mud levels. The Basque Country gets a lot of rain - and the mud on forest trails can be exacerbated by mountain bikers. However, assuming that you're reasonably fit and healthy, I'd suggest picking the date that appeals to you most and rolling with it (hopefully not literally 😄).

I've walked part of the Norte in October (Irún - Portugalete) and was lucky to just catch most albergues open. Some were planning on closing mid October but decided to stay open till the end of the month. We had better weather in October than the 2 other times I have been on the Norte in June.

March would be tricky weather wise. The coast has fickle weather and may be quite rainy. I'd shoot for October.

Hola a todos. I currently have two windows to do the Irún to Bilbao section of the Camino del Norte, in mid-March and mid-October with 7 walking days. It's a stretch that I really would like to do as I have friends in Bilbao. I've heard the weather can be pretty bad in both and it could be muddy. I did the Francés last October and it was glorious sunshine for the most part but they may have been luck of the draw. If anyone has done it around that time, how was it?

Also heard accommodation might be a problem too; is that right?

Really I'm looking for advice about whether I should try to do it in one of these two windows or whether to just wait until another year when I can do it in nicer weather and during the weather.
It's always hard to gauge. We continued our camino one June from Santander and met pilgrims who had made videos of the torrential rain and mud on the first week out from Irun. I think that week brought them all closer together as it did involve some level of endurance. So that would have been a week in June with heavy rain. I have walked the Portuguese interior and also from Coimbra in heavy rain all day and by myself. Found it very peaceful. If you pack the right gear it should be straightforward. Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked in virtually every month of the year and in every season and weather conditions....Rain, snow, wind, mud, sun, heat....it is all good unless you set your mind against it.
It is a long way across Spain (or France) and you can expect to see a lot of weather changes.

For me it is just experiencing different adventures. Take the proper kit for the weather.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back